S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Deactivate the remote trunk opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Deactivate the remote trunk opening

During the day, my employees are at least once a week having to tell me my trunk is open. I believe it is because my key fob button is pressing against some other items in my pocket which happens to press the trunk release button. My parking is close to the building but at least 50 to 100 feet away from me during the day but still close enough to have this happen. Does anyone have an idea if a certain fuse could turn this feature off?

I never use the key fob to open my trunk. I do however like to use the button inside the car from time to time. I'm afraid if I pull the fuse that I'd lose the inside button control and would likely lose other features as well.
I wish I could somehow alter the key fob so that the button wouldn't work.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Prob easier to stash key in a secure place in office during day...or get a small leather case in which to place key fob if prefer to keep it in pocket...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Sounds really strange because you have to press the key quite long to get the trunk open. I don't keep often keys in my pocket and work close to the car but it has never happened to me.

I cannot see any fuse to disable the trunk part from the key while maintaining other remote key options. You must have KG in an S600, that probably works from a different fuse though, you might be able to open doors with KG even if the basic remote key antenna was disabled completely. I should have a look at the diagrams.

One option would be to wrap the key with aluminium folio to disable the RF functionality, but you would have to that back and forth when leaving/entering the car, makes KG useless.

Perhaps you could try "diagnosing" it further, does it really happen from distance. Perhaps changing habits and carry only the car key in one pocket and put all the rest somewhere else.

One more option, if you open the key fob, it would be possible to remove the button that controls the trunk. Not nice in my opinion but that would be 100% the functionality you were after. I'd still try other options like suggested above.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts
99 E320
(guessing) ....that the source of activation is PSE pump. disconnect the air hose ¿

(follow up) hmmm, maybe not. i seem to recall seeing a sheathed/metal cable
going to the locking mechanism in my head. it's been a few months.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by raymond g-
(guessing) ....that the source of activation is PSE pump. disconnect the air hose ¿

(follow up) hmmm, maybe not. i seem to recall seeing a sheathed/metal cable
going to the locking mechanism in my head. it's been a few months.
Disabling the hydraulic trunk lid pump would not be all, the lock would still open and the lid would become a bit open (better though).

But I thought the idea was not to weld the lid to the body to make it stay closed, the lid should preferably still open from the trunk lid handle or the front door button?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Diesel's idea:
"Perhaps changing habits and carry only the car key in one pocket and put all the rest somewhere else. "

That is what I'm doing today.

WSH's idea:
.....or get a small leather case in which to place key fob if prefer to keep it in pocket...

Maybe I can find something like this for the long haul solution.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I might try placing a flat piece of plastic over the buttons (like a guitar pick) and then wrap electrical tape over it a few times to hold it sturdy. I never use the buttons , only use it for keyless operation. Redneck solution I know, but it might work until I can find the leather wrapped cover that WSH suggested.

This is why I wish MB had not done away with the wallet "credit card" size transponder they had in the early 2000 models.

Last edited by trumpet1; 08-07-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I might try placing a flat piece of plastic over the buttons (like a guitar pick) and then wrap electrical tape over it a few times to hold it sturdy. I never use the buttons , only use it for keyless operation. Redneck solution I know, but it might work until I can find the leather wrapped cover that WSH suggested.

This is why I wish MB had not done away with the wallet "credit card" size transponder they had in the early 2000 models.
The credit card style key with much better IMO.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Trumpet, a couple of ideas....

I prob have ?4-5 of those credit card-sized leather billfolds MB mails me every time I get a new car (MB incls the CL ownership/TeleAid card in the billfold).....can fit the key fob inside that billfold...would guess your MB dealer should have these billfolds....

I also have a bunch of Porsche key chains (trinkets from my days of getting new P's) which were sent in cardboard boxes that may be perfect size in which to put MB key fob....perhaps the cardboard box for any keychain could serve this purpose?

Have never had the accidental activation of key fob issue....my only issue w/key fob and KG is that the key fob falls out of my pocket during spirited twisties driving (so I always remove the KG button when I take deliv of any new MB)....
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 750i xDrive
Sorry if it's totally wrong as I don't have a MB, but in my Lexus, there is a button in the glove compartment that let's me disable the Opening of the trunk from a remote. It's a feature to prevent valley parkers from going thru your stuff in the trunk, if you don't forget to lock the glove box
Anyway, I would think this feature would also be available in MB.

Last edited by dimapb; 08-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, a couple of ideas....

Have never had the accidental activation of key fob issue....my only issue w/key fob and KG is that the key fob falls out of my pocket during spirited twisties driving (so I always remove the KG button when I take deliv of any new MB)....

It's funny because the problem seems to have begun only 2 to 3 months ago IIRC. I never recall it happening the first 15 months of ownership. What worries me is if it begins to rain and my trunk is wide open!
If I ever get a chance to get over to SF again, I'll look you up for sure. I want to experience your driving in person
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by dimapb
Sorry if it's totally wrong as I don't have a MB, but in my Lexus, there is a button in the glove compartment that let's me disable the Opening of the trunk from a remote. It's a feature to prevent valley parkers from going thru your stuff in the trunk, if you don't forget to lock the glove box
Anyway, I would think this feature would also be available in MB.

I'm off from work tomorrow, I may scoot down to my Benz shop and ask if this could be done. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by trumpet1
It's funny because the problem seems to have begun only 2 to 3 months ago IIRC. I never recall it happening the first 15 months of ownership. What worries me is if it begins to rain and my trunk is wide open!
If I ever get a chance to get over to SF again, I'll look you up for sure. I want to experience your driving in person
LOL....you have a standing invitation, trumpet....it's amazing how empty and enjoyable are the mtn twisties on wkend early AMs....
Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
Trumpet,
I would guess it is electrical w/the car rather than pressing the button too long, as another has mentioned.
I have similar situation where the KG button on outside of trunk will only pop up the trunk 1-2 inches, then I would have to manually pull the trunk up.

But, using either the button on the key fob, or the button inside the car, it opens right up (automatic) the way it should.

Somehow it seems another signal is coming into contact and opening the trunk.
I have the older credit card transponder, FWIW.

This reminds me of another intermittent problem I have where when parking outside on a city street next to the new electronic meters, the keyless go will not work (button on outside of door handle to lock car). I have to use the key fob. Once in a while parking next to exotic cars this occurs as well (Lotus at least). Must be another signal which jams the operation.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I took the advice of a few of you and decided to carry my key fob alone in a separate pocket so that it can't bind upon other keys, phone, change, etc, and the problem has ceased.