S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 Irritating/nagging issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
S550 Irritating/nagging issues

Or maybe plain stupidity on my part.....

1) It's dusk, or maybe it's dark. You want to turn your headlights on. You glance at the headlight switch/selector. DAMN!! It's NOT illuminated - you can't figure out WHICH light setting it's on (or NOT on). You turn once - nothing, you turn twice - maybe something.......clockwise..... counter clockwise...... you now turn 4 friggin times clockwise - AHA!!! LIGHTS! Wow - Bi Xenon friggin lights.
Question: Does anyone else feel like Hank Hill or just me?

2) You have a DVD and 5 other AUDIO CD's loaded. You're futzing around between satellite, AM, FM and finally decide you want to list to a good old fashioned CD of Alabama. Okay, so you hit the DISC/NAVI silver button. DAMN - it goes to the DVD you watched last while waiting in the parking lot . But *#$#&*&* - you don't want to watch the DVD - you want to LISTEN to Alabama. Please don't tell me that you have press open the CD drawer front and "guess" which # your audio CD is? I KNOW there's a way to do this - just doesn't seem intuitive at all!
Question: How do you tell it to go to a specific CD? How do you view the 6 CD's on screen and see what's in the chamber ????

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-03-2008 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrtonyn (02-12-2022)
Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S550 & 08 335i
For issue numero uno, i have my Daytime Running lights always on, and then just leave my headlights on Auto. Ive never really had a problem with it haha...

For numero dos... i dont listen to many CDs (im an ipod guy haha) but i believe when your at CD, you can scroll all the way down to the bottom bar and there should be a place where you can select which CD i am pretty sure...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
It is definitely not intuitive and can be annoying and frustrating at times, causing distractions while driving. Also, my CD player does not list the track titles or CD name. It that the same for anyone else?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by EinMD
It is definitely not intuitive and can be annoying and frustrating at times, causing distractions while driving. Also, my CD player does not list the track titles or CD name. It that the same for anyone else?
Mine displays the name of the movie/CD title/artist. Once in the audio and/or video mode , you can scroll down to the next to the bottom line of choices on your comand screen and select "changer". This is one of 4 choices: CD, TRACK LIST, CHANGER, AND SOUND. Click on CHANGER and it shows , in most cases , the info of which slot has what disc and most of the time will give info of that disc. Click on TRACK LIST and most of the time the list of songs will show up. Sometimes it doesn't if you burned the disc or boot legged it somehow. I know it does this when in the video page. It will even state whether it is a DVD or CD. If the info is not attainable , it simply says NO NAME in place of where the video/cd title would be. Hope this helps.

Last edited by trumpet1; 07-03-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Austin, as far as the headlight feature issue, I haven't noticed this as of yet. I will check this out tonight and see how it all goes. I also keep my DRLs on all the time and I leave it on the automatic position, therefore I'm not fully aware of what you're talking about. Will post again later I suppose.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Austin, as far as the headlight feature issue, I haven't noticed this as of yet. I will check this out tonight and see how it all goes. I also keep my DRLs on all the time and I leave it on the automatic position, therefore I'm not fully aware of what you're talking about. Will post again later I suppose.
The light switch symbols do not have back-lights. This is the same for all/most current models. I believe they have been lit years ago.

Anyway the light switch has been like it is by design for tens of years, one can feel when the switch is at the "0" position and when putting lights on, one would have to turn to the right, OK to turn as far as it goes. Knowing that asymmetric parking lights are to the left, no confusion is left.

Honestly this same question appears every now and then. Still it usually comes when drivers figure out it after driving the car for a long time. This in my opinion indicates that the back-light is not actually important. I wouldn't mind back-lights, the switch is in a position where back-lights probably would not produce unwanted glare. On the other hand, I'm also having lights on all the time, no need to touch the button at all (I hardly ever use fog lights).

I hope there advice for the DVD changer is sufficient, I don't have one and I only listen to MP3 music from the memory card and don't have any issues with song titles. I find it odd if someone really puts an audio CD in while a DL DVD could hold a few thousand songs.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Headlights are a BIG problem, and it is not just the switch, it is the fact that there is no dashboard symbol which tells you the lights are on, or warning when they are off, but should be on.

So while I keep it set to auto all the time, I occassionally get the car back from service or a valet, and they have changed the setting. I don't notice. I start driving around without headlights. Bad.

My jag has a nice symbol that shows up on the dash when the auto lights click on. And it has a warning (text) that appears when it is dark enough for the auto lights to come on but they are not set to auto that basically says "hey stupid, turn on your headlights" - but in that nice British sort of way.

These are easy fixes.

Other annoyances:

Had the car for over a year, still cant tell which switches open which windows by feel. Very poorly designed.

Why cant the dishboard display stay on whatever I set it for until changed. Everytime you turn the car off it goes back to the trip odomoeter.

iPod integration is lousy. Hopefully that will be fixed when they release an iPhone integration kit for the US.

No power outlet in glove box.

Multiple steps to turn off front and rear climate control at same time. Why isnt their a "climate control off" button. (Issue if you have rear seat package).

Parking sensor beeps for rear come far to late to help and are too quiet. I am accustomed to much more warning. (OK, backup camera helps on this somewhat).

Overhead console switches are not intuitive. I still need to try to think about what they do.

No abiliy to call a point of interest entry after locating it in NAV directory. Gee - this was even on my wife's old ML.

Still - best car I have ever owned.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the basic AC where I can set AC tuning to "mono" where both sides are tuned simultaneously. Does it not force the 4-zone system to operate all zones simultaneously?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Headlights are a BIG problem, and it is not just the switch, it is the fact that there is no dashboard symbol which tells you the lights are on, or warning when they are off, but should be on.

So while I keep it set to auto all the time, I occassionally get the car back from service or a valet, and they have changed the setting. I don't notice. I start driving around without headlights. Bad.

My jag has a nice symbol that shows up on the dash when the auto lights click on. And it has a warning (text) that appears when it is dark enough for the auto lights to come on but they are not set to auto that basically says "hey stupid, turn on your headlights" - but in that nice British sort of way.

These are easy fixes.

Other annoyances:

Had the car for over a year, still cant tell which switches open which windows by feel. Very poorly designed.

Why cant the dishboard display stay on whatever I set it for until changed. Everytime you turn the car off it goes back to the trip odomoeter.

iPod integration is lousy. Hopefully that will be fixed when they release an iPhone integration kit for the US.

No power outlet in glove box.

Multiple steps to turn off front and rear climate control at same time. Why isnt their a "climate control off" button. (Issue if you have rear seat package).

Parking sensor beeps for rear come far to late to help and are too quiet. I am accustomed to much more warning. (OK, backup camera helps on this somewhat).

Overhead console switches are not intuitive. I still need to try to think about what they do.

No abiliy to call a point of interest entry after locating it in NAV directory. Gee - this was even on my wife's old ML.

Still - best car I have ever owned.
In addition to EVERYTHING you said, I find it very annoying that there is not a separate switch for the rear passenger window sun shades. And, that there is no direct way to operate the rear window sunshade other than the "favorite" button, which I have set to "repeat" navigation instructions.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
You guys raise many valid, annoying ergonomic weaknesses of S-Class

I periodically test-drive various $100K+ luxury/perf cars (only way to fully understand strengths/weaknesses of today's S/CL) and come away astonished how much more logical are S/CL ergonomics (despite imperfections) than those of any other car today

I'm amazed car mfrs like MB/F/P still have these antiquated analog/analog-look dashboards where much real estate is wasted on info that's fairly irrelevant for instantaneous update for an alert, precise driver....i.e., should have prominent central tach w/central, easily-visible dig speedo readout (kill the worthless analog speedo)....and would like to efficiently know when various fluids and tires are warm enough for more spirited driving.....much other info is clearly not time-sensitive, like fuel level....prominent positioning of data on dashboards is often illogical

Will be intrigued when S/CL have dash w/flat-screens that driver can "program" into memory settings (like seats/mirrors) based upon own preferences for layout, like today's latest $50MM planes....or one's much cheaper computer desktop screen......that said, today's S/CL seem to be about 5yrs ahead of any other car in overall tech/ergonomics....
Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I have the basic AC where I can set AC tuning to "mono" where both sides are tuned simultaneously. Does it not force the 4-zone system to operate all zones simultaneously?
Setting it to mono does control the temperature in the rear (I think - now I need to double check even that) but will not turn it off when you turn off climate control.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 AM

If on Mono, all zones operate at the same temperature and fan speed. Otherwise, passenger and rear are the same.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
sound a little spoiled do we?
Yes there are always shortcomings with everything and it's easy to be critical.
There is always a better way, but if you think about it, look how far these cars have come.
So, I'd suggest that rather than lost happiness over these little issues, why not get over it and realise you have one of the best damn cars out there and be happy?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by carsnob
There is always a better way, but if you think about it, look how far these cars have come.
So, I'd suggest that rather than lost happiness over these little issues, why not get over it and realise you have one of the best damn cars out there and be happy?

Without going into a long monologue I will simply state that to "look how far these cars have come" is strictly due to improvements that could not have been made without the end users offering their observations of what works, what doesn't work and what can be improved. If engineers, designers or end users accepted the status quo we would not have the improvements in safety, performance and design we currently have. This holds true for any product from tooth paste to the Space Shuttle. I did not take any of the previous comments as complaints nor did I perceive that anyone was "losing happiness" over these issues. I do not see anything that requires anyone to "get over it". These are the "best damn cars out there" because owners take an active interest in them.

Last edited by EinMD; 07-09-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600

Great post. That puts it in perspective.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 AM

'09 S63 AMG
I can understand if we're "complaining" about hospital care, security at airports or the conditions of U.S highways, but... when you've shelled out over $100k for a luxury performance automobile, expecting a little more than being happy with "how far" MB has come, is your right. And as someone said earlier, MB needs to visit forums like these to get a glimpse of what it's customers really want.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-09-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Great post. That puts it in perspective.
If you are referring to my response I say "Thank You"! If not, i would say something else not permitted here (just kidding)
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
I can understand if we're "complaining" about hospital care, security at airports or the conditions of U.S highways, but... when you've shelled out over $100k for a luxury performance automobile, expecting a little more than being happy with "how far" MB has come, is your right. And as someone said earlier, MB needs to visit forums like these to get a glimpse of what it's customers really want.
I agree with you.
For what it is worth, here are my observations:
-Rear view door mirrors are too small to be effective on a vehicle manufactured by people that pride themselves on safety.
-The window buttons are hard to find without taking your eyes of the road. (Another safety issue?)
-The gaps in the body work are not exactly pleasing to me. Especially between the trunk lid and car body.
-I am still finding myself in 1 st gear at times after inadvertently and unintentionally touching the steering wheel shift buttons, which in my opinion are ergonomically mislocated.
-Compared to my previous S430-4Matic, I find the ride of the S550 equipped with ABC harder. Furthermore, the S430 (2004) had a handy document compartment in the glove box lid; a small but handy "lip" that would pop out after opening the trunk; and an engine oil check screen on the instrument cluster. None of these on my S550.
-As a point of great irritation to me, and bordering on dishonesty on the part of MB, I special ordered my S550 with the drive dynamic multicontour seats because I wanted to be able to adjust the seating between soft, normal and hard. No such adjustments; just greyed out on the Comand screen, and a remark in the operator manual " is so equipped." The same is true for the tow away alarm feature. Just not there!
- Night vision, Distronic-Plus, very distracting to say the least. And as far as the navigation system is concerned, I would be dead by now if I had followed the gentle voice's instructions to the letter!
Well these are my beefs. Comment on them as you like, these are shortcomings as far as I am concerned.
Would I buy another "S" Class in the future; YES. ( Assuming I am still " kicking" and around!) If not naive, I am faithful to the make, but not blind, nor so proud as not to mention my dislikes.
And as far as your *****es about US highways, airports, etc., ...no comments. We have our own problems.
Have a good one!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 04S430
I agree with you.
For what it is worth, here are my observations:
-Rear view door mirrors are too small to be effective on a vehicle manufactured by people that pride themselves on safety.
-The window buttons are hard to find without taking your eyes of the road. (Another safety issue?)
-The gaps in the body work are not exactly pleasing to me. Especially between the trunk lid and car body.
-I am still finding myself in 1 st gear at times after inadvertently and unintentionally touching the steering wheel shift buttons, which in my opinion are ergonomically mislocated.
-Compared to my previous S430-4Matic, I find the ride of the S550 equipped with ABC harder. Furthermore, the S430 (2004) had a handy document compartment in the glove box lid; a small but handy "lip" that would pop out after opening the trunk; and an engine oil check screen on the instrument cluster. None of these on my S550.
-As a point of great irritation to me, and bordering on dishonesty on the part of MB, I special ordered my S550 with the drive dynamic multicontour seats because I wanted to be able to adjust the seating between soft, normal and hard. No such adjustments; just greyed out on the Comand screen, and a remark in the operator manual " is so equipped." The same is true for the tow away alarm feature. Just not there!
- Night vision, Distronic-Plus, very distracting to say the least. And as far as the navigation system is concerned, I would be dead by now if I had followed the gentle voice's instructions to the letter!
Well these are my beefs. Comment on them as you like, these are shortcomings as far as I am concerned.
Would I buy another "S" Class in the future; YES. ( Assuming I am still " kicking" and around!) If not naive, I am faithful to the make, but not blind, nor so proud as not to mention my dislikes.
And as far as your *****es about US highways, airports, etc., ...no comments. We have our own problems.
Have a good one!
An interesting list of things that could be improved. I mostly agree with the comment on window control buttons. Those actually do have a design that should help the driver figure out by touching which button is which but it appears difficult. On the other hand, I hardly ever open windows while driving.

The door mirrors are smallish but what do you care about the disappearing objects you see for a short while from the mirror . I assume this make less wind noise which is more important to me (specifically for the lower range S which does not come with noise insulating door windows).

But the seats issue sounds serious to me. I only have comfort seats but I do have one "overall seat hardness setting". I would assume the same should exist on the drive dynamic seats (those should be the same plus the massage parts and control). When you say these settings are greyed out, could it be that you cannot change these settings when massage or drive dynamic function is on? I'm guessing the control range for air bolsters would not cover the drive dynamic function if the seat hardness was set to one or the other extreme???
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM

An interesting list of things that could be improved. I mostly agree with the comment on window control buttons. Those actually do have a design that should help the driver figure out by touching which button is which but it appears difficult. On the other hand, I hardly ever open windows while driving.

The door mirrors are smallish but what do you care about the disappearing objects you see for a short while from the mirror . I assume this make less wind noise which is more important to me (specifically for the lower range S which does not come with noise insulating door windows).

But the seats issue sounds serious to me. I only have comfort seats but I do have one "overall seat hardness setting". I would assume the same should exist on the drive dynamic seats (those should be the same plus the massage parts and control). When you say these settings are greyed out, could it be that you cannot change these settings when massage or drive dynamic function is on? I'm guessing the control range for air bolsters would not cover the drive dynamic function if the seat hardness was set to one or the other extreme???
I just went to my garage to check the seat settings and get the manuel out. I can not adjust the seat firmness, nor is it available on the Comand system. The manual reads; " Depending on production date, your vehicle may be equipped with this function." Well big deal, it is not. At the time of ordering the vehicle I was under the impression it was a feature. Being rather heavy, a soft setting for a "robust derriere" would have been desired.
Same remarks for the tow-away alarm.
As for the door rear view mirrors, larger mirrors would facilitate passing. Looking over my shoulder does not help because the door pillars are massive. ( I do not mind the massive pillars. More strength in case of a roll over, or side impact.)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,429 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by 04S430
I just went to my garage to check the seat settings and get the manuel out. I can not adjust the seat firmness, nor is it available on the Comand system.
Have you brought the vehicle in to service? MBUSA released two service campaigns for the dynamic/multi-contour seats have the dealer check VMI your VIN may be included.

Campaign 2007080004 SEPT07 Models 216, 221; 2007-2008
Dealers will update control module software and if codes are present replace appropriate parts

Campaign 2007080001 AUG07 Models 216, 221; 2007-2008
Dealers will update software for dynamic/multi-contour seat control modules

COMAND Tutorial: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/te...***-comand.jsp (menu -> vehicle -> seats)
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Have you brought the vehicle in to service? MBUSA released two service campaigns for the dynamic/multi-contour seats have the dealer check VMI your VIN may be included.

Campaign 2007080004 SEPT07 Models 216, 221; 2007-2008
Dealers will update control module software and if codes are present replace appropriate parts

Campaign 2007080001 AUG07 Models 216, 221; 2007-2008
Dealers will update software for dynamic/multi-contour seat control modules

COMAND Tutorial: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/te...***-comand.jsp (menu -> vehicle -> seats)
Thank you Konigstiger for mentioning the MBUSA campaigns regarding the seats.
My vehicle was bought in Canada. Hopefully the same campaigns are available here. My VIN is ...A119816.
I shall call the dealer to see if they can improve the seating comfort!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

2007 S550 AMG with ABC
It's interesting to see everyones take on the Quirks that annoy them, In addition to the ones mentioned so far. Here are mine...

(1) I use the "send to car" feature all the time (From Google/Yahoo Maps). I hate the location of the info button for Tele-Aid.. On other Cars (C and R class) you don't have to open the center storage box to press it.

(2) I don't like that the car can't receive multiple destinations in one info call. You have to establish a call for each address you send from google/yahoo maps.

(3) WTF is up with that massive blue tooth module needed? I mean that compartment where the module sits can't even store a wallet.

(4) I don't like how the center storage box opens up. Take a look at the Lexus 400h on how it opens inwards.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
A bit odd that this Comand tutorial was supposed to apply for a (US) MY2007 car but it did not show the seat firmness menu option at all (at least I did not find it), like in the attached photo from the tutorial.

The US manual on the other hand does have that menu option described. I understood more recent manuals saying this feature may not exist, in that case the Comand tutorial seems to cover current models better than 2007?

In any case, if the menu option appears but cannot be selected, I would guess this being a version coding issue (a bit like my rear view camera menu options that do not exist in current models and disappeared from Comand update when appropriate version coding was not done along with the update).
Attached Thumbnails S550 Irritating/nagging issues-w221-seats-comand-tutorial.jpg   S550 Irritating/nagging issues-w221-seats.jpg  
Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 PM

A bit odd that this Comand tutorial was supposed to apply for a (US) MY2007 car but it did not show the seat firmness menu option at all (at least I did not find it), like in the attached photo from the tutorial.

The US manual on the other hand does have that menu option described. I understood more recent manuals saying this feature may not exist, in that case the Comand tutorial seems to cover current models better than 2007?

In any case, if the menu option appears but cannot be selected, I would guess this being a version coding issue (a bit like my rear view camera menu options that do not exist in current models and disappeared from Comand update when appropriate version coding was not done along with the update).
With respect to your attachment W221-Seats.jpg. -That is exactly what I ment, except that the picture of yours is on page 239, and mine on page 240.
Happy to see I am not alone to have seen this.
Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S550 Irritating/nagging issues