S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Problems, Problems, Problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Problems, Problems, Problems...

A few weeks ago, the COMAND in my car started flickering, then shutting off, turning back on, and then kept restarting over and over. It never happened again and I basically forgot about it. Then today it started doing the same exact thing, and also, my passenger door opened all on its own. On the freeway, driving normal with the doors locked, all of a sudden I hear a motorized sound and then the passenger door opened and I got an alert on the MID. What do you think could be going on with my car before I take it in to the dealer?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by Saverino
A few weeks ago, the COMAND in my car started flickering, then shutting off, turning back on, and then kept restarting over and over. It never happened again and I basically forgot about it. Then today it started doing the same exact thing, and also, my passenger door opened all on its own. On the freeway, driving normal with the doors locked, all of a sudden I hear a motorized sound and then the passenger door opened and I got an alert on the MID. What do you think could be going on with my car before I take it in to the dealer?
Wow - how could the door open at speed? (How far - just unlatched or really open?) The Soft Closing mechanism pulls the doors shut... (if you have that option) it should not push them open. No idea what is going on but this sounds a serious fault - take it to the dealer first thing Monday! (And let us know)

Chris
Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
It didn't swing open. It just unlatched.

It completely unlatched to the point where if you push the door it'll swing open. Not to the point where its opened, but latched a bit where if you wanted to open the door, you have to pull the handle again.

Edit: Yes it does have the soft door closing feature.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Sounds like the soft close feature worked in reverse. Horrible problem and like Chris said, get that fixed immediately.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
It sounds like a huge computer glitch that needs an immediate fix. I would not continue drive until fixed.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
UHHHH YEAAA. Doors openning at speed? Straight to the shop.
Either that or somone (something) was traveling with you that wanted out??
Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Oh My God!!

This is beyond unbelievable! Just imagine if you had a kid/baby in that back seat and they fell out of the car! The kind of stuff that could pretty much disolve MB as we know it. I'm not trying to be sensationalist but this is simply unnacceptable for a car of this caliber (read: $$$$$$$$$)

Not doubting your story but it sounds like someone messed with your car.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
I made an appointment at the dealer where I bought my car for tomorrow since that was the soonest they had available. I'll give you guys an update tomorrow.

I also noticed before, that sometimes after shutting the rear doors without using the soft door closers, while driving you can hear the door motors but it never opens. This time was the first time it actually opened and it was on the front passenger door.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport

sorry to hear about your problem. please keep us posted. it sounds risky. my 8yrs old sits in the back seat
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Well I took the car in this morning and basically, the vehicle needed some software, but they told me to go back tomorrow since they couldn't find anything. Then later when I got home, I got a call from them saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So now I have a C300 loaner and tomorrow I have to go pick up my car.

I'm not satisfied though. There has to be something wrong if the car unlocked only that door and opened it while driving.

Any ideas on what I can do?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Well I took the car in this morning and basically, the vehicle needed some software, but they told me to go back tomorrow since they couldn't find anything. Then later when I got home, I got a call from them saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So now I have a C300 loaner and tomorrow I have to go pick up my car.

I'm not satisfied though. There has to be something wrong if the car unlocked only that door and opened it while driving.

Any ideas on what I can do?
I cannot see how this could be an electronic issue. The soft closing feature can only grab the door fully closed if it isn't, it cannot open the door even to the first latch.

By the way, there have been some issues with the outer door handle sticking out but I thought this was too new a car for that issue.

Sounds like a mechanical issue with the door lock. I understand that the door was first fully closed (at least appeared so, and definitely was not on the first safety lock position) and then opened further than the safety lock position. The door might have been partly closed but even in this case it should have only unlocked to the safety position. Could it be an issue with the door lock handle mechanism, perhaps it remains somehow close to the "open door position"???

I would at least lubricate the mechanism properly that all parts move as designed.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 08-20-2008 at 02:42 AM.