S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Creaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Creaking

Hey there all,

On my new S320cdi (UK) there is a lot of "dashboard noise." The best way I can describe it is that there are a lot of creaking noises which are audible especially when going over a small bump or turning a corner. I can't seem to localise the sound, but it's definately coming from the front of the car!

Is this a known problem with the S's? The ride is good, but silent it is not.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by zuby84
Hey there all,

On my new S320cdi (UK) there is a lot of "dashboard noise." The best way I can describe it is that there are a lot of creaking noises which are audible especially when going over a small bump or turning a corner. I can't seem to localise the sound, but it's definately coming from the front of the car!

Is this a known problem with the S's? The ride is good, but silent it is not.

Cheers

This is highly rare. My car is just as quiet now with 26000 miles as it was when it was new. The roads in my area are rough too, so I feel my car is holding up really well.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
I had a strange creaking noise that I described to the dealer as coming from the foot well to the front left side. Very strange> Regardless after I mentioned it to the dealer it has been taken care of. NO noise now. Not even sure what it was or what the fix was. The dealer will take care of any issue so be sure to bring it up at your next visit. Speaking of noises my drivers seat has started to make some creaking noises in cornering. I will be asking for this fix at next service interval. I only weigh 185lbs so...shouldn't be making noises. My car is almost 24k miles.

Last edited by vonbeeler; 09-07-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I had a strange creaking noise that I described to the dealer as coming from the foot well to the front left side. Very strange> Regardless after I mentioned it to the dealer it has been taken care of. NO noise now. Not even sure what it was or what the fix was. The dealer will take care of any issue so be sure to bring it up at your next visit. Speaking of noises my drivers seat has started to make some creaking noises in cornering. I will be asking for this fix at next service interval. I only weigh 185lbs so...shouldn't be making noises. My car is almost 24k miles.
Do you have dynamic seats? If yes, then that may be a site to look for. Mine did that for a short period of time but somehow fixed itself.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 AM

BMW
Hey there,

Thanks for that. The trouble is; I can easily see my dealer (or in fact any dealer in Scotland) making more of a mess in trying to fix the creaking noises.

For instance; my passenger side wiper was shudering. I took it in, they replaced a lot of things and the "wiper control module" or something. When it came back, the passenger side had been fixed, but the driver side was now shuddering! Adding insult to injury; the passenger wiper just suddenly stopped working while I was driving down to London. It transpired that the bolts for the wiper hadn't been screwed in properly after the fix and had come loose.

They also took my driver seat out for some reason and put it back in. It's just not secure at all and wobbles about too much now.

My previous BMW had problems with creaking seals. It must've gone into the dealer 20 times; and even after replacing seals etc... there was no improvement. Infact the trim on the doors started making creaking noises; probably when they had taken them apart to find out where the noise was coming from!

With creaking noises, I can see them taking the dashboard apart and just not putting it together properly leading to even more creaking noises! basically, if they take something apart; I don't think it'll be put back together as securely as it's meant to be which will lead to even more noise!

I really want a silent ride (the way the s classes are meant to be) but I will not tolerate them making it even noisier!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Do you have dynamic seats? If yes, then that may be a site to look for. Mine did that for a short period of time but somehow fixed itself.
Its one of the very early builds and is kinda a strange one. Oddly I don't have dynamic seats or distronic which are both supposed to be standard. I do however have sport pkg which is not even available. Anyway the lumbar deflates sporadically and started doing this around the same time the creek noise started so might have something to do with each other. I don't have the technical prowess or patience to investigate myself as you may after reading previous threads of your handy-work. In any event doesn't bother too much and think the next scheduled service is soon. Knowing the dealer they will probably replace the whole seat. Thanks

Last edited by vonbeeler; 09-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Hey there,

Thanks for that. The trouble is; I can easily see my dealer (or in fact any dealer in Scotland) making more of a mess in trying to fix the creaking noises.

For instance; my passenger side wiper was shudering. I took it in, they replaced a lot of things and the "wiper control module" or something. When it came back, the passenger side had been fixed, but the driver side was now shuddering! Adding insult to injury; the passenger wiper just suddenly stopped working while I was driving down to London. It transpired that the bolts for the wiper hadn't been screwed in properly after the fix and had come loose.

They also took my driver seat out for some reason and put it back in. It's just not secure at all and wobbles about too much now.

My previous BMW had problems with creaking seals. It must've gone into the dealer 20 times; and even after replacing seals etc... there was no improvement. Infact the trim on the doors started making creaking noises; probably when they had taken them apart to find out where the noise was coming from!

With creaking noises, I can see them taking the dashboard apart and just not putting it together properly leading to even more creaking noises! basically, if they take something apart; I don't think it'll be put back together as securely as it's meant to be which will lead to even more noise!

I really want a silent ride (the way the s classes are meant to be) but I will not tolerate them making it even noisier!
Wow. Don't even really know what to say to that. The dealers in Southern California U.S. seem to know these cars inside and out. I would be understandably upset with if there were unresolved issues.You are obviously hesitant to have the dealer even work on the car. I wonder if a letter to the manufacturer would do anything. In the U.S. there are laws in place that if the can't fix an issue after 3 attempts the dealer has to take the car back.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I had a strange creaking noise that I described to the dealer as coming from the foot well to the front left side. Very strange> Regardless after I mentioned it to the dealer it has been taken care of. NO noise now. Not even sure what it was or what the fix was.
This must be the storage bin cover lock at the front of the seat. Only happens on some cars.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
On my new S320cdi (UK) there is a lot of "dashboard noise." The best way I can describe it is that there are a lot of creaking noises which are audible especially when going over a small bump or turning a corner.
With creaking noises, I can see them taking the dashboard apart and just not putting it together properly leading to even more creaking noises! basically, if they take something apart; I don't think it'll be put back together as securely as it's meant to be which will lead to even more noise! I really want a silent ride (the way the s classes are meant to be) but I will not tolerate them making it even noisier!
MBUSA DTB P-B-68.10/65 is intended to assist the technician in finding an effective solution to noises in the region of the instrument cluster and COMAND display. PM your email address and I will send a copy to present to the dealer.