S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

If you hear a knocking/sliding sound...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
If you hear a knocking/sliding sound...

A few weeks ago I started hearing an occasional knocking or sliding sound inside my S600 every time I went around a corner... a hollow sound like a metal bolt was sliding around inside the door on a hard plastic surface... irritating as hell..

I first thought the sound was something sliding around inside the center console compartment... then the glove compartment... but after taking everything out of both it seemed to be coming from the passenger door... even stranger the sound never happened on sunny days...

It annoyed me so much that I went to my dealer to see if they could locate/fix it... this was the first "fault" I have had with my car... did the maintenance tech at my 10,000 mile service chuck a bolt into the door just for grins? I did a few corners with the tech and the sound was perfectly reproducible... weird thing is that he thought the sliding came from the drivers seat...

2 minutes later everything was sorted...

...uh, (red face) it was my sun-glasses sliding around inside the flip down headliner/glasses compartment right next to my head...

Man - that was noisy. (Even though the compartment is lined) The acoustics inside the S-Class can be pretty misleading!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 10-21-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Don't you just feel stupid when something fools you like that??? At first I thought maybe it was a cigarette lighter that had been pulled out of the socket and was just laying in the tray rolling around.

Glad to hear you got it resolved. You're right, the S class is such a quiet car (even after 2 years) , that any little odd/foreign sound can be obnoxious.