S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

OK.. it has to be said...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
OK.. it has to be said...

(Completely unapologetic partisan bias follows)

....the S-Class is simply the best car to sit in... in the world... It is more elegant.. more solid... more comfortable... has more character... it even smells better than anything else...

After examining the interior of pretty much every car on the market at the SF auto show yesterday I was left with one overwhelming impression.... flimsy build and cheap plastic... Even $40,000+ cars can't escape the fake aluminum painted silver plastic... flimsy faux wood... Acura is particularly horrible... plastic door handles... hideous styling... (Especially the TL) Lexus has also gone downhill...

The base S550 has its share of plastic but at least it is solid, well executed, high quality, and of considered design... And the silver/aluminum buttons make such a difference in making the interior look classy. (Just sit in an LS460 to se the difference) Go to an all leather Designo or S600/65 and you are in a different league. Alas it seems you have to pay $100,000+ these days to get a decent quality car interior..

The only other cars whose interior qualities impressed me were the Audi A8L and the new Jaguar XF. (Which is quite striking) Unfortunately both are dull under the hood. The new 7-Series is less weird than the old version... but still looks pretty cheap in some of its interior appointments... I kept looking for the interior door handles... there are none where you expect them at the usual elbow height... Instead you pull the door shut by pulling a raised ledge just under the window.. Also that new kidney grill is really prominent when you see it in the flesh - its like a cliff face!

Had to get all that off my chest!

BTW: I spotted another minor difference between the MY08 and MY09 S-Class. The trunk in my MY08 has two centrally hinged flaps in the back opening up the two small compartments just above the spare. The MY09 S-Class seems to have just one big flap, hinged towards the back of the trunk. Looks like a minor cost cutting measure.

I was also surprised that the new recessed window switches in the MY09 S-Class do not quite do it for me. They work well to be sure... I just found they look like an afterthought. (Which in effect they are)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 11-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Chris,
I agree all the way

we are all doomed (in a sence)
My Gipsy Psychic adviser cristal ball shows:
There is nothing else to drive in the near (4 year) future

I want to stay doomed, drive MB's CL 600 (that is).
Old 11-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
Can't agree more.

New Jaguar XF is impressive, definitely puts Jaguar back into the game somewhat. I like the gear selector but still getting used to the boring layout of buttons on the centre stack. And maybe a little cramped in the back. Overall package still inferior vs its peers. At least there's now one more choice for those who wants to be different, i.e. does not want a 5er or E Class.

Ahh the A8... It's the understated exterior packed with a very luxurious interior. Compared to the W220 and previous 7-series, the A8 is the winner. The W221 changed the game, but I can't wait to see what the new A8. I've always wanted to have something different rather than having an S in different locations; so maybe the new A8 will be it.

Yet to sit in a new 7-series. Judging from pictures, they have improved inside out but not sure about the choice of materials and ergonomics. Hard to picture myself purchasing a 7 over an S; a good BMW to me would be the 5 series. The 7-series has a long way to go to be at S-Class level.

Aren't we all lucky to have Mercedes continue giving us value by making S-classes better and better by the generation? Yet the older generation ones just seem so timeless. I enjoy looking at them very much.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Thanks Chris! Nice to hear your comments. After having so many S classes since the 80's, I agree that this is the best sedan you could own. My S600 is a keeper and it will be hard to beat...
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 AM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by WingFlex
Ahh the A8... It's the understated exterior packed with a very luxurious interior. Compared to the W220 and previous 7-series, the A8 is the winner. The W221 changed the game, but I can't wait to see what the new A8. I've always wanted to have something different rather than having an S in different locations; so maybe the new A8 will be it.

Yet to sit in a new 7-series. Judging from pictures, they have improved inside out but not sure about the choice of materials and ergonomics. Hard to picture myself purchasing a 7 over an S; a good BMW to me would be the 5 series. The 7-series has a long way to go to be at S-Class level.
I agree about the A8... The impressive thing is that no matter how much pressure I applied to different parts of the dash/console it was as solid as a rock... that is one heck of a well screwed together car! The problem for me is that it has zero character... Frankly (to me) its boring....

The new 7-series was the real disappointment... I (quality) tested the interior by applying pressure to various wooden and plastic dash/console components... and they flexed... creaked.. the interior just did not feel as solid... I have no doubt it will drive well but BMW is defined by its smaller cars... just as Mercedes is by its larger cars like the S/CL/SL etc... The 7 series has never been convincing to me... It just does not feel special... It is a "me too".

(More shameless MB partisan bias...)

I have no doubt the w221 will be equally timeless... what Mercedes has always got right in its flagship cars is a well honed sense of restrained design... sometimes it means interiors that are almost austere... but everything down to the smallest button feels worried over and considered as part of an integral whole... timeless... these qualities take months/years to seep into your consciousness because they are too subtle to take in all at once... That balance is really really hard to do convincingly... yet it is fundamental to the character of a Benz.. (The legacy of Bruno Sacco I suspect)

Just compare the w221 to the latest LS460... it looks like Lexus let off a grenade in a bucket of cheap plastic buttons and just left them embedded where they ended up... and don't get me started about that tacky plastic silver surround to the nav screen... and the leather trimming on the seats and doors feels like sitting in a padded cell... I know Consumer Reports loves it... I don't care... It is mundane, banal, soulless.

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 11-28-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:11 AM

Sonderklasse
Let's not even get me started on Lexus, or any pseudo-luxury brands from the manufacturers of Honda and Nissan. They are successful and known for their economical cars, and should stay that way. I have no problem buying a Camry, but I will not buy a ES350/GS350. I will buy a Landcruiser but not an LX570. You get my point.

Last edited by WingFlex; 11-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Man this is good stuff. Who needs Motor Trend?

Great thread with bingo-on-the-spot posts. I totally agree with everything said so far.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
While I agree with a lot of what you said, I do have some issues with the 221 interior.

The silver plastic on the switches looks a bit cheap to me. Along with that, the bulbous 7-series copy center stack and general IP design leaves me a bit cold. I think the CL actually incorporates the concept a bit better. It seems to flow a bit better to me.

2. The plastic on the dash and door panels was a bit disappointing to me coming from a designo 220. The door panels especially have a bit of a "sheet of plastic" look to them, which was a bit offputting.

3. That shifter is abysmal and should be junked. Its not a buick from 1989, it should not have a column shifter.

Everything else is fantastic.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E450 4Matic
[QUOTE=cjf_moraga;3191452...I was also surprised that the new recessed window switches in the MY09 S-Class do not quite do it for me. They work well to be sure... I just found they look like an afterthought. (Which in effect they are)

Chris[/QUOTE]

Odd. I hate the window switches in my 08 CL. I love the new ones in my 09 S550. So much easier to use without looking. And when I do look I just don't see the "afterthought" appearance . FWIW, MB had to change them for 09 to abide by new US regs.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Oliverk
While I agree with a lot of what you said, I do have some issues with the 221 interior.

The silver plastic on the switches looks a bit cheap to me. Along with that, the bulbous 7-series copy center stack and general IP design leaves me a bit cold. I think the CL actually incorporates the concept a bit better. It seems to flow a bit better to me.

2. The plastic on the dash and door panels was a bit disappointing to me coming from a designo 220. The door panels especially have a bit of a "sheet of plastic" look to them, which was a bit offputting.

3. That shifter is abysmal and should be junked. Its not a buick from 1989, it should not have a column shifter.

Everything else is fantastic.

#3 above is the ONLY thing I don't like. Please MB, go back to a center console shifter.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E450 4Matic
Originally Posted by trumpet1
#3 above is the ONLY thing I don't like. Please MB, go back to a center console shifter.

But don't you LOVE the sound the car makes when you engage/disengage it? Sounds like a $3 transmission.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
After examining the interior of pretty much every car on the market at the SF auto show yesterday I was left with one overwhelming impression.... flimsy build and cheap plastic... Even $40,000+ cars can't escape the fake aluminum painted silver plastic... flimsy faux wood... Acura is particularly horrible... plastic door handles... hideous styling... (Especially the TL) Lexus has also gone downhill...
The only other cars whose interior qualities impressed me were the Audi A8L and the new Jaguar XF. (Which is quite striking) Unfortunately both are dull under the hood. Chris
Nice post Chris - have I seen you around in Lamorinda area? for some reason, i recall you having an 06 S600...or did you always have an 08?
Btw, nice the Jaguar is well designed inside, but the front end/grill looks like a chrysler to me.
p.s. sat in a $150k CL63 this week...VERY nice inside - the 63's finally put up similar interior as the V12 600 designs. of course, the MSRP also reflects it as i recall prev CL55's were closer to $120-130k.
Patrick
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Nice post Chris - have I seen you around in Lamorinda area? for some reason, i recall you having an 06 S600...or did you always have an 08? .....p.s. sat in a $150k CL63 this week...VERY nice inside - the 63's finally put up similar interior as the V12 600 designs. of course, the MSRP also reflects it as i recall prev CL55's were closer to $120-130k.
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

If you have spotted a silver 2008 S600 in Lamorinda that is almost certainly me! (Honk next time) I do not know of any others around here. (Though there is a black S65 that lurks around Walnut Creek) I can usually be found mornings and evening on Moraga Way and the 24 en-route to Emeryville where I work. I never had an old model 2006 (w220) S600 however. My previous car was a pewter 2005 E55.

I have not sat in a 2009 CL63 recently. I saw one at the SF auto show but it did not seem to have the all-leather interior of the V12's. Has that changed? I did not get a chance to sit in it however - too many other people were sitting... uh... living their fantasies in it!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 11-28-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:29 AM

2009 ML350W4
I have not sat in a 2009 CL63 recently. I saw one at the SF auto show but it did not seem to have the all-leather interior of the V12's. Has that changed? I did not get a chance to sit in it however - too many other people were sitting... uh... living their fantasies in it!

Chris

Chris,

You are correct, the CL63 doesn't have the full wrap of exclusive leather that the 600's do....
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Chris thanks for the heads up on the auto show. Auto shows are one of my favorite and most anticipated events. I'm so lame sometimes I'll go twice to the same car show. About every other year I drive up to the LA show because they have a lot more premiers than San Diego. Didn't make LA this year but I know San Diego show is this month I believe.

Your conclusions were spot on to my thoughts from last year. There is simply nothing that compares especially with the upgraded 600 interior except the Audi. and like you I find the exterior too numb for my taste on the Audi. The Lexus switchgear has not changed at all in 10+ years. I would never consider anyway as its not a drivers car. I am anxious to see the 7 but from past I know the exterior probably wont be to my taste and the interior I just find odd.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 984 Likes on 720 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
IMO the Audi A8 still holds the top honors for interior quality in sub Rolls vehicles.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
IMO the Audi A8 still holds the top honors for interior quality in sub Rolls vehicles.
Audi has done a fantastic job with their interiors. The current A8L would be my only second choice over my Benz. The B&O sound system is very nice and is the one thing that trumps our W221s.

The quietness and ride quality of the Audi W12 is only notches away too.

The S600 though blows away the Audi in the power dept.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I 2nd that!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Excellent post, cjf

Must say that, after some 2K mis on my '09 CL65, am thoroughly addicted to it, even vs my much-enjoyed CL63 030...this 65 is best car I've ever driven/owned, both on fast fwys and in mtn twisties...absolutely brilliant and can never go back to anything less than an AMG V12

Would argue what's unique about CL65 incls stuff like legendary tq and elegant, contemporary leather/cf-finished, perf-oriented interior (esp seats and steering wheel)...but subtleties like rather refined throttle response (and excellent wet traction) and softer leather sports steering wheel (vs '08 63/65)...and lack of such nonsense as a TeleAid antenna (unlike S65)...or a sat radio wart or Parktronic bulletholes (unlike SL65)

Have conveyed my positives/negatives summary to AMG via their PrivateLounge website....great stuff, as clearly AMG US and Germany both follow comments from owners on their own forum...and clearly listen and (more importantly) respond

Plan to get a '10 S65, presumably the face-lifted and newer-tech version, in Spring09, as I anticipate '10 CL65 won't arrive in US until Fall09

In any case, don't realize what great cars are these S/CL until thoroughly test-drive lesser cars like F/P/Bent, etc....showrooms are amusing to see all the cheap blk plastic buttons, etc in supposedly well-made $200K+ cars, but aggressive tests on fast, bumpy, even wet CA roads reveal far more about dynamic/active safety capabilities of any car....more than any silly, dry, smooth track in Podunk will ever reveal
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by WSH
Excellent post, cjf

Must say that, after some 2K mis on my '09 CL65, am thoroughly addicted to it, even vs my much-enjoyed CL63 030...this 65 is best car I've ever driven/owned, both on fast fwys and in mtn twisties...absolutely brilliant and can never go back to anything less than an AMG V12

Would argue what's unique about CL65 incls stuff like legendary tq and elegant, contemporary leather/cf-finished, perf-oriented interior (esp seats and steering wheel)...but subtleties like rather refined throttle response (and excellent wet traction) and softer leather sports steering wheel (vs '08 63/65)...and lack of such nonsense as a TeleAid antenna (unlike S65)...or a sat radio wart or Parktronic bulletholes (unlike SL65)

Have conveyed my positives/negatives summary to AMG via their PrivateLounge website....great stuff, as clearly AMG US and Germany both follow comments from owners on their own forum...and clearly listen and (more importantly) respond

Plan to get a '10 S65, presumably the face-lifted and newer-tech version, in Spring09, as I anticipate '10 CL65 won't arrive in US until Fall09

In any case, don't realize what great cars are these S/CL until thoroughly test-drive lesser cars like F/P/Bent, etc....showrooms are amusing to see all the cheap blk plastic buttons, etc in supposedly well-made $200K+ cars, but aggressive tests on fast, bumpy, even wet CA roads reveal far more about dynamic/active safety capabilities of any car....more than any silly, dry, smooth track in Podunk will ever reveal
Holly Smoke WSH,
you are back, that IS a great news.
So...
how is THE TORQUE on CL65?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I strongly disagree with your assessment that Ferraris, Porsches, and Bentleys are lesser vehicles.

While the may not have the torque or hp of a 65 series AMG, the handling of the P/F cars is no comparison. You are piloting a 4600lb sports coupe, they are 33xx lb sports cars. Same goes for braking. stomp down on P/F car ceramic brakes, and you'll understand what true stopping power is.

The Cl65 is a great cruiser, but a sports car, it is not.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Sonderklasse
Not sure if WSH is saying P/F are inferior in the handling department which I am also of the opinion that they are not (but this would be an apple/orange comparison anyways).

But if he's talking about overall technology, pkg, safety and interior quality (design, materials, ergonomics, etc.) then I agree P/F are inferior. Also, if considering just how well (and safely) S/CL performs despite their weight, then I too think MB deserves extra credits.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
(Completely unapologetic partisan bias follows)

....the S-Class is simply the best car to sit in... in the world... It is more elegant.. more solid... more comfortable... has more character... it even smells better than anything else...

The base S550 has its share of plastic but at least it is solid, well executed, high quality, and of considered design... And the silver/aluminum buttons make such a difference in making the interior look classy. (Just sit in an LS460 to se the difference) Go to an all leather Designo or S600/65 and you are in a different league. Alas it seems you have to pay $100,000+ these days to get a decent quality car interior..

The only other cars whose interior qualities impressed me were the Audi A8L and the new Jaguar XF. (Which is quite striking) Unfortunately both are dull under the hood. The new 7-Series is less weird than the old version... but still looks pretty cheap in some of its interior appointments... I kept looking for the interior door handles... there are none where you expect them at the usual elbow height... Instead you pull the door shut by pulling a raised ledge just under the window.. Also that new kidney grill is really prominent when you see it in the flesh - its like a cliff face!

Had to get all that off my chest!

BTW: I spotted another minor difference between the MY08 and MY09 S-Class. The trunk in my MY08 has two centrally hinged flaps in the back opening up the two small compartments just above the spare. The MY09 S-Class seems to have just one big flap, hinged towards the back of the trunk. Looks like a minor cost cutting measure.

I was also surprised that the new recessed window switches in the MY09 S-Class do not quite do it for me. They work well to be sure... I just found they look like an afterthought. (Which in effect they are)

Chris
On point CJF. You could expand out to the CLS as well.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Excellent post, cjf

Fantastic write up and really good to see you posting again. As far as the 2010 S65 (and all S classes in fact), I sure hope they put the extra wood trim around the seat control area and in the console area like on the CLs. That would be a good thing to add to the refresh. Of course, that is just one more thing for me to worry about getting scratched

I also wish the engines of the V12s weren't so covered up. Seems all v12s (both 600s and 65s) have totally covered up intake manifolds unlike the V8s which expose those beasts.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 AM

'09 S63 AMG
I don't know..... The interior of the new 7 looks pretty good actually. Here are a bunch of pics:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-bmw-7-series-3/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK.. it has to be said...