S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Aged tires - something to watch out for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Exclamation Aged tires - something to watch out for

I know, this forum is basically all about new cars
but you never know...

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Knowledge is everything, right?

Mark.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550 4matic, 1960 Chevy Impala Conv, (Previously 2002 S500, 2008 S550 4Matic)
My S550 08 Date of Manufacture April 2008. Tire code 1108 ( Eleventh week of 2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
My new rear Sumitomos had (3408) on them

On the front , I have Michelins. The front right tire has an 07 date on it but the left front doesn't have a date on it. It's DOT code is all letters with a single number somewhere in the middle of that code so I have no idea when it was made. I bought them at the same time and they are of the same brand/type , etc.

I guess tires in stores are a lot like milk in grocery stores. They push the older milk to the front. I guess some folks are getting sour milk when it comes to tires.

Also, I wonder what could be done to lengthen the life of tires? Store them in better temp. storage?
Also, can the composite/rubber be replenished? Many of the tires today are composite synthetic rubber instead of real rubber.

I know of a couple that were killed just after buying a used motorcycle that had been sitting in a garage for a long time. Apparently the tires had dry rotted and were well past the expiration point. The tires were in great shape by appearance only and the bike only had 15K miles on it.

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
At this point, I am very happy with my Sumitomos. Very quiet, great looking tread and sidewall, and they are over $100 cheaper than Michelins.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by markopolo
Knowledge is everything, right?

Mark.
Yes, absolutely. Thanks for posting this
Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Trumpet,
I'm bit surprised (by far I'm no tire expert) that you decided to mix front and back tires. On this caliber of a car...
Ask around, maybe you should buy 2 new Sumimotos and 2 new Michelins and not to mix them ?. I like your posts too much. Why should you risk it. (talking about some unexpected emergency situations)
There is a law for it. Murphy Law
Let's avoid it by all means.
Mark.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by markopolo
Trumpet,
I'm bit surprised (by far I'm no tire expert) that you decided to mix front and back tires. On this caliber of a car...
Ask around, maybe you should buy 2 new Sumimotos and 2 new Michelins and not to mix them ?. I like your posts too much. Why should you risk it. (talking about some unexpected emergency situations)
There is a law for it. Murphy Law
Let's avoid it by all means.
Mark.

I appreciate your thoughts and concerns , and maybe you're right, but I am struggling to see why there is a problem with running different brands in pairs (fronts are alike and rears are alike). I did give it some thought but I just figured that if my tire tech suggested it, it must be OK. I can see where having different brands/tread patterns might be a problem if they are not the same in the front and in the rear respectively as that might cause a pull to the left or right or it may trick the ABS system or ABC system in dire conditions ( e.g. a Michelin on the front left and a Pirelli on the front right). I'll do some googling on this and I'll ask my tech tomorrow if I find time. It's only 3 miles from my house.
As of now, I am very pleased with the ride and handling. I can't tell anything at all is a problem.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Very helpful post, markopolo

Agree, too many skimp on tires....incredibly important stuff for traction and braking, esp in any emergent maneuver

My sense is very few, even well-regarded, dealers and techs really understand the decay curve of tires; effect of flat spots in tires of ~5000lb cars that sit unused for extended periods; slope of decreased traction of performance tires vs temperature (esp in the 35-50F gray area) and wet (esp in <50F); and change in traction vs tire wear; etc etc

IMO, better to err on side of spending a few more bucks to have fresh, factory-spec, temperature-appropriate tires....

Factory spends much time calibrating the chassis set-up and stability controls, etc vs factory-spec tires and wheels.....non-factory spec stuff introduces unknown variables, which often are only revealed in a "high stress test" maneuver w/a poss catastrophic outcome