S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

NY Dealer Help Required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 FX 50S
NY Dealer Help Required

Hello Everyone,

Presently, my father is in NY on Business (visiting from Saudi Arabia) and is thinking of purchasing an S550 and shipping it back to Saudi. A similarly priced vehicle here will run him around 140K, so given the current discounts in the US, a good savings looks possible.

From what I have read on here, am I right to assume he should be able to get a discount of 15-25k on 2008's and approx. 10-12k on 2009 S550's ?

Also, and more importantly, can you please recommend dealers/salespeople in the NY area that he can deal with as he will be leaving NY in approx 2 weeks and would like to conclude any possible deal in that frame...

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
Try MB of Manhattan, I have a client whose bought several cars from them. Not sure who his salesperson is though, but if he shops there, then they must be pretty nice to deal with.

Last edited by GMP Performance; 12-30-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM

'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
I seriously doubt your father will be able to do that? As I understand it MB dealers in the US are prohibited from selling a car locally and then shipping it outside the country. They risk losing their dealership from corporate.

One way around it I thiink might be to purchase it locally, register it and PAY THE SALES TAX and then find someone who can ship the car outside the US to your desitnation. The local municipalities want their sales tax from any and all transactions so the dealer is forced to register the car locally which kicks off the sales tax process. Essentially you can not buy a car in the US and drive it off the lot without having it registered.

I would think once you have paid everyone you can then figure out how to get it shipped outside the country. How that is done I have no idea, but if you own it free and clear than I think you should be able to do anything you wanted with it.

Let us know what happens. I'm curious.

Good luck...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM

none merc currently
Originally Posted by beartrap
I seriously doubt your father will be able to do that? As I understand it MB dealers in the US are prohibited from selling a car locally and then shipping it outside the country. They risk losing their dealership from corporate.

One way around it I thiink might be to purchase it locally, register it and PAY THE SALES TAX and then find someone who can ship the car outside the US to your desitnation. The local municipalities want their sales tax from any and all transactions so the dealer is forced to register the car locally which kicks off the sales tax process. Essentially you can not buy a car in the US and drive it off the lot without having it registered.

I would think once you have paid everyone you can then figure out how to get it shipped outside the country. How that is done I have no idea, but if you own it free and clear than I think you should be able to do anything you wanted with it.

Let us know what happens. I'm curious.

Good luck...
Completely correct, it will be extremely difficult to find a USA MB dealer who sells you the car "for export" without priour US (NY) registration.

Would be great if you find a dealer who does it anyway

happy new year.