S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

UMI/Upgraded iPod adapter retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 4matic
UMI/Upgraded iPod adapter retrofit?

So I've been following this whole upgraded iPod adapter thing that allows one to control the iPod from the Command screen/controller...i.e. the way it was supposed to be correctly implemented the first time around but MB got lazy and blew it big time. Anyways, noticed they have a new "Universal Media Interface" for the C and GLK class that allows this now (along with nav and other stuff thats standard on S)...which is great and all, but one would think that they'd have first focused on fixing their mistake with the S/CL (and SL?) class adapters (though from what I've seen SL has this UMI option as well). I thought this $60 ipod upgrade cable that they announced when they announced the iPhone cradle would add this functionality to the car, but I have yet to hear anything about a stateside release, and when I talked to MBUSA they were absolutely clueless. Anyone have any info when I might be able to have this functionality in my 08 S, or does MB expect me to downgrade to a C/GLK-class (they send enough annoying GLK emails!!!)? Or is the disgusting odometer iPod control going to be the only way I'll ever be able to control it?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The UMI kit is a £1500 to $2000 part and only intended to the basic radio on a C-class, not for Comand or even Audio 50 APS.

I did not check if something similar to the MI would be available for the S-class, this option is cheap and intended for the C-class Comand.

The W221 Comand anyway takes a memory card, I don't understand how S-class owners bother to use the iPod interface when a much faster and more convenient option exists through the Comand interface.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Memory Card

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The UMI kit is a £1500 to $2000 part and only intended to the basic radio on a C-class, not for Comand or even Audio 50 APS.

I did not check if something similar to the MI would be available for the S-class, this option is cheap and intended for the C-class Comand.

The W221 Comand anyway takes a memory card, I don't understand how S-class owners bother to use the iPod interface when a much faster and more convenient option exists through the Comand interface.
How does one obtain the memory card? If I recall from the owners manual, it accepts a PCMCIA card. These cards are no longer readily available. According to manufacturer San Disk, PCMCIA is an outdated technology that has been replaced by "ExpressCards" which are smaller and fit new computers. From Micro Center to CompUSA to Radio Shack, PCMCIA cards are no longer sold. Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by EinMD
How does one obtain the memory card? If I recall from the owners manual, it accepts a PCMCIA card. These cards are no longer readily available. According to manufacturer San Disk, PCMCIA is an outdated technology that has been replaced by "ExpressCards" which are smaller and fit new computers. From Micro Center to CompUSA to Radio Shack, PCMCIA cards are no longer sold. Any suggestions?
The idea is to use a "PCMCIA to any memory card adapter". Sandisk PCMCIA adapters for Compact Flash cards as well as SD HC cards are popular.

Most laptops have a PCMCIA slot, the car works with the same idea, a lot more flexible than one specific memory card slot.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
I did quite a bit of research on this and gave up myself (with regards to using the UMI cable and getting the iPod to appear on the Command Screen).

I called MBUSA (who said it wasn't possible), I spoke to the service managers at 3 Mercedes dealerships in my area, and none of them could give me an answer. The UMI solution looked like it was going to be audio only, and not able to play video on the iPod.

I don't think video is even supported on current 09 cars that use the UMI for the iPod connection.

It's quite obvious to me that the telematics department at Mercedes has their work cut out. If you know the History of the S-Class and how the Telematics system was developed it's understandable - Motorola's telematics division (nuff said!!!) developed the initial software, and when that division imploded, Motorola sold it to Continental!! So there really isn't much hope for an "elegant" german software solution anytime soon..

Rob at Mid-City engineering, developed an interesting solution, which essentially takes an iPod dock system (DLO Home Media Deluxe) that is intended to play on a home TV, and hooked it up so that the video output is piped into the command system via the s-video/composite input that typically sits in the glove compartment. He was then able to control the interface of the iPod dock system via the regular command controller..

For that system he wanted $1600 which didn't include the DLO home dock, which was roughly $2xx.00 . I didn't want the video on the command screen that much!! I'm not sure why Mercedes hasn't seen it fit to offer new functionality to S-Class owners via command software updates, but it looks like they want you to buy a completely new car in the future to get slick new command features..

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/11/m...r-for-s-class/
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't like audio and video from an iPod adapter but I have retrofitted AUX Audio and Video on my W221, if you are able to find a cable for the iPod with standard stereo output and composite video, your Comand would play this like it plays DVDs (the quality being dependent on the source).
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
Originally Posted by irieblue
I did quite a bit of research on this and gave up myself (with regards to using the UMI cable and getting the iPod to appear on the Command Screen).

I called MBUSA (who said it wasn't possible), I spoke to the service managers at 3 Mercedes dealerships in my area, and none of them could give me an answer. The UMI solution looked like it was going to be audio only, and not able to play video on the iPod.

I don't think video is even supported on current 09 cars that use the UMI for the iPod connection.

It's quite obvious to me that the telematics department at Mercedes has their work cut out. If you know the History of the S-Class and how the Telematics system was developed it's understandable - Motorola's telematics division (nuff said!!!) developed the initial software, and when that division imploded, Motorola sold it to Continental!! So there really isn't much hope for an "elegant" german software solution anytime soon..

Rob at Mid-City engineering, developed an interesting solution, which essentially takes an iPod dock system (DLO Home Media Deluxe) that is intended to play on a home TV, and hooked it up so that the video output is piped into the command system via the s-video/composite input that typically sits in the glove compartment. He was then able to control the interface of the iPod dock system via the regular command controller..

For that system he wanted $1600 which didn't include the DLO home dock, which was roughly $2xx.00 . I didn't want the video on the command screen that much!! I'm not sure why Mercedes hasn't seen it fit to offer new functionality to S-Class owners via command software updates, but it looks like they want you to buy a completely new car in the future to get slick new command features..

Tell me all about it - I am myself so mad about this stupid PCMCIA interface and the ipod joke !! - I have tried the sandisk PCMCIA card capabale of SDHC and failed to read the 8 MB card - so more $$ down the tube - these stupid MB are light years behind the Japanese - don't know why they don't keep things simple -just add slot for the SD card - dummies !
Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mat
Tell me all about it - I am myself so mad about this stupid PCMCIA interface and the ipod joke !! - I have tried the sandisk PCMCIA card capabale of SDHC and failed to read the 8 MB card - so more $$ down the tube - these stupid MB are light years behind the Japanese - don't know why they don't keep things simple -just add slot for the SD card - dummies !
It can't be the PCMCIA interface at the car (unless it is broken), you must have an issue with the adapter, the card or the files. If your computer reads the card content with the same PCMCIA adapter, then it is likely that your files are not compatible.

I've used myself the Sandisk SDHC card adapter fine with an 8 GB SD HC card.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
I have tried the 2 GB SD card as well - just to verify and still does not work - I'll have to find an Old laptop to check if the PCMCIA is good - what a pain !
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM

2008 S550 4matic

Wow, thanks for THAT reply. Useless. S class owners use iPods because they have something called easy to use playlists, not having to drag and drop songs into folders and do everything manually. Nor do I care if the C-class kit is with a basic radio or not, it still allows a better interface than they allow for S class buyers which is utterly ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM

2008 S550 4matic

Thank you sir! Someone else in my boat, and this time an intelligent response
So yea I talked to MBUSA last year, and two local dealers, and all of them said it would be available in January. January came and apparently Europe got the kit (more on that to come), but no dice in the USA. So I called MBUSA again who then changed their answer - this time they told me it wasn't possible and that I must've been confused. Umm...no? Talked to my dealers, and they all said not possible too. So now I was really confused. More research online... Apparently in Europe they can do it from the command screen, with videos (?). But I don't even want video I just want a proper frigin interface -i.e. the way it should've been done the first time, without having to do a ton of manual labor to convert all my music to mp3 and make manual playlists to put on a stupid card reader. Gross. So anyways, back to Europe, apparently a completely different (and better!) company makes their headunit, MBUSA of course has to go with their own maker of it. I can't tell you how much I HATE MBUSA seriously Europe does everything right, and every good feature MBUSA decides to take out!!! GRRR!!!!! Further, the '09 head unit apparently has an added port on the back that allows the full iPod integration, so to get it on our models we have to replace the whole head unit (I think around $5K?). Seriously, this day in age I don't understand why you can't do things right the first time, and then leave yourself the option so that if you don't do it right you can fix it with a SW/Firmware update. This day in age, software on a car should at least be upgradable. Yea don't anyone give me the flack thats how they sell new cars - software is not a feature, especially when you didn't do it right in the first place...
Can anyone confirm that the '09 S550 allows you to control from Command? I've been meaning to go to the dealer and try it but haven't had the time. Seriously, just MBUSA and not Europe MB here, is so far behind Japan. Voice control is utterly useless compared to the Japanese counterparts, its a plain embarrassment, and thats coming from someone who hates hates HATES Lexus and all those stupid non-German cars. And seriously, the Nav POIs are USELESS! No Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks or hugely popular stores...and you can't even search for a name of a store restaurant! STUPID!!! Seriously did they travel back to 1980 to design their GPS system???? Thank god for Teleaid because honestly...its so nice to talk to a person and not have to deal with the whole totally botched Command system. I thought it was a huge step forward, but really they haven't made a single step forward since they first started offering Nav, they just changed the way you control the screen. I love my S550, it drives great, handles great, the inside looks elegant and is comfy, but seriously, MBUSA needs to fire their whole technical department because they apparently live in a bubble set in 1980.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 PM

2008 S550 4matic
It isn't like audio and video from an iPod adapter but I have retrofitted AUX Audio and Video on my W221, if you are able to find a cable for the iPod with standard stereo output and composite video, your Comand would play this like it plays DVDs (the quality being dependent on the source).
Please quit responding to this thread. You obviously don't *get* technology. One shouldn't have to resort to controlling the ipod in this manner.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 PM

2008 S550 4matic

Dang forgot to reply to this part, sorry buddy. Yea I looked into this option quite a bit, but concluded it was gross as well. The interface is perfectly usable, but aesthetically it looks disgusting. Its like putting a carputer in an S class, nope, don't do it. The whole idea of having to hack your 6-fig car to get it to work properly is just utterly ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Mat

Originally Posted by Alexander_B86
Dang forgot to reply to this part, sorry buddy. Yea I looked into this option quite a bit, but concluded it was gross as well. The interface is perfectly usable, but aesthetically it looks disgusting. Its like putting a carputer in an S class, nope, don't do it. The whole idea of having to hack your 6-fig car to get it to work properly is just utterly ridiculous.
"Utterly Ridiculous" is an understatement - I am so freaking mad - Paid $110,000 in December and drove only 800 miles so far -very poor and outdated technology features and now they even want to lock the rear passengers inside - permanently, I suppose !!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM

2009 S550
Can anyone confirm that the '09 S550 allows you to control from Command?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I can confirm that the 2009 S550 does NOT allow you to control music from COMAND for the iPhone 3G! You can't go to next track, go to artist, genre, or anything else in the COMAND screen. All you can do is look at the song title and artist in the Instrument Information Center above the steering wheel and change the volume with the + and - buttons on the steering wheel. Pathetic implementation of relatively easy software.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Mat

ipod and night-view assist

Here's another thing if you desire to use your ipod while driving at night on a country road (like I do..)
As soon as you turn on the night-view assist - You lose your ipod controls - can't move to previos or next song - so no choice but to enjoy the songs as they play !!
I guess, the S-Class owners shouldn't be expected to move any body parts !
Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM

2009 S550
Previous or next song capability?

Originally Posted by Mat
Here's another thing if you desire to use your ipod while driving at night on a country road (like I do..)
As soon as you turn on the night-view assist - You lose your ipod controls - can't move to previous or next song - so no choice but to enjoy the songs as they play !!
I guess, the S-Class owners shouldn't be expected to move any body parts !
Are you saying that on your S-class, without night vision on, you have the ability to move to previous or next song? What buttons are you using to do that? I'd be happy just to have that feature!!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM

S550
Originally Posted by stutenn
Are you saying that on your S-class, without night vision on, you have the ability to move to previous or next song? What buttons are you using to do that? I'd be happy just to have that feature!!

The up / down arrows on the left side steering wheel contol moves the song selector up and down. The center selects.

The control on the right side of the steering wheel with phone icons moves though the folders.

It would be really nice if the ipod controls were on the control screen, a USB connection would also have been a plus.

Last edited by SteveMi; 04-08-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by SteveMi
It would be really nice if the ipod controls were on the control screen, a USB connection would also have been a plus.
No doubt about that! I have a charge converter for my 3G iPhone that I use with the iPod adapter so it can be charging while connected and it has a USB port (http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html) but if I understand what you're saying, you'd rather have a USB port to plug in a thumb drive with 8GB of MP3's that would play through the AUX radio segment of the COMAND system. My 2009 Cadillac CTS has exactly that.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM

S550
but if I understand what you're saying, you'd rather have a USB port to plug in a thumb drive with 8GB of MP3's that would play through the AUX radio segment of the COMAND system.
or a 60 GB hard drive containing my audio library for long trips.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM

2009 S550
or a 60 GB hard drive containing my audio library for long trips.
Interesting. I have a 40GB hard drive on the CTS but only 10GB is available for audio books, MP3's, etc. Apparently the rest is eaten up with the nav system. On the other hand, if I hear a great set on satellite radio, I can record it to the hard drive. You'd think the S-class would feature something like that but maybe folks on the other side of the pond don't care about that stuff.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W222 S63 AMG
The up / down arrows on the left side steering wheel contol moves the song selector up and down. The center selects.

The control on the right side of the steering wheel with phone icons moves though the folders.

I can confirm you can navigate around folders, artists, playlists etc on an 09 with iPod interface. It is however pretty slow to step through and the combination of two joypads makes it a little hard to juggle.

Biggest issue however is the inability to pause the iPod from the steering wheel controls or when a call comes in.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by Mandingo
Biggest issue however is the inability to pause the iPod from the steering wheel controls or when a call comes in.
Bingo! Having the music in the background while trying to speak to the caller is a major headache. You may as well have the iPhone/iPod in your lap rather than tucked neatly away in the glove compartment.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM

S550
Bingo! Having the music in the background while trying to speak to the caller is a major headache. You may as well have the iPhone/iPod in your lap rather than tucked neatly away in the glove compartment.
The biggest issue is that a new, recently designed $100K, flagship automobile shouldn't have an archaic data management system.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Mat

Thank you Steve, that's precisely what I was getting to -- stuff like this should be "plug and play" without any headaches or having to go fishing for a stupid PCMCIA adapter.
I have already tried and failed to use 2 different types of adapters and cards - Besides, I hate the way the card sticks out preventing shutting off of the cover to the card holder - ridiculous fools !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: UMI/Upgraded iPod adapter retrofit?