S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Distronic RetroFit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Distronic RetroFit

I'm getting a new '09 S550V4. Distronic was not available in any color/ option package that I was interested in, although I think it would be a good safety option. I asked the dealer about a retrofit. I was told it would be extremely expensive and would need to replace the entire wiring harness in the car.
Is this true? Any idea what the cost would be or where it could be done?
SM
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Very cost prohibitive. Wouldn't consider it. Get one with it already.

I love it and dread the day I ever have to buy a car without it.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
Send an email to MBenznl@gmail.com and get a quote based on your VIN#, I had him quote me on a retrofit for my 07 and it seems reasonable for what needs to be changed. He was even able to quote for the older Distronic system (i.e not the Plus) for a cheaper price because it doesn't require as many sensors. Bear in mind that including tax Distronic Plus is at least a $3000 option from Mercedes, so it's already not a cheap option...

MBenzNL as I only recently discovered, travels the globe and does Mercedes retrofits using genuine Mercedes Parts, sometimes performing the work at the dealership itself. Check their web site for some of the impressive retrofits they have done...

Personally I'm leaning towards some 8 piston/405 mm (16") Brembos as my distronic solution ;-).

BTW, MBenzNL will be in the SF bay area in April...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM

S550
Originally Posted by irieblue
Send an email to MBenznl@gmail.com and get a quote based on your VIN#, I had him quote me on a retrofit for my 07 and it seems reasonable for what needs to be changed. He was even able to quote for the older Distronic system (i.e not the Plus) for a cheaper price because it doesn't require as many sensors. Bear in mind that including tax Distronic Plus is at least a $3000 option from Mercedes, so it's already not a cheap option...
New bumpers, new mirrors, new wiring harness, plus the electronics.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Bimmer
Originally Posted by SteveMi
New bumpers, new mirrors, new wiring harness, plus the electronics.
Please, check your PM, I got a question for you.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I assume you are after Distronic Plus, this would need new bumpers and all the radar sensors, including the centre radar with a new grill. There is an option to maintain the acoustic parking sensors and only the centre radar, this would be Distronic (without the Plus). Should be easier to retrofit for the one who can do the coding but this would provide less functionality than Distronic Plus of course.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I assume you are after Distronic Plus, this would need new bumpers and all the radar sensors, including the centre radar with a new grill. There is an option to maintain the acoustic parking sensors and only the centre radar, this would be Distronic (without the Plus). Should be easier to retrofit for the one who can do the coding but this would provide less functionality than Distronic Plus of course.
It's something to consider. I was interested in the Distronic plus mostly because of the blind spot assist. It's amazing how other drivers have no concept of where they are visible and where they are hard to see.

I don't understand why auto manufacturers don't take a more modular approach to their designs. Something like this should be nothing more than bolting on the electronics and entering a license code in the firmware.