S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

wood additions for S 600 -- cheesy or nice??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
wood additions for S 600 -- cheesy or nice??

Ever notice that the CL 550 has a full wood center console, yet the S550 or S 600 has the leather? (Cd cover, cupholder and ashtray covers).
Performance products carries replacement covers in wood that they say they'll match to your car's VIN . On one hand this seems like a nice addition, on the other it could look a bit much. Any opinions??
Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by carsnob
Ever notice that the CL 550 has a full wood center console, yet the S550 or S 600 has the leather? (Cd cover, cupholder and ashtray covers).
Performance products carries replacement covers in wood that they say they'll match to your car's VIN . On one hand this seems like a nice addition, on the other it could look a bit much. Any opinions??

I've always noticed this and desired it but then again I can see how it is in an area where it would get scratched quite a bit. However, I would like to have it around the seat control areas front and back.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I've always noticed this and desired it but then again I can see how it is in an area where it would get scratched quite a bit. However, I would like to have it around the seat control areas front and back.
No scratches so far...
and I use the car heavily
OP - go for it, it looks finished.
Mark.

Last edited by Red Marko; 04-05-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S600 sold
Any pics?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I actually saw a pic somewhere just the other day of this very same thing. The wood around the seat controls looks very very elegant.

I'll see if I can scrounge a pic somewhere....
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by carsnob
Take a look at the brochure of the face lifted 2010 S class in this forum. They now have wood in this area. Looks very nice.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Here is a picture of those wood inserts on the aforementioned website

http://www.performanceproducts4benz....dept%5Fid=6268

The lighting of the picture is probably a bit deceptive. With a black leather interior (like my S600 has) the contrast of black leather and glossy dark burlwood could be fairly classy... or least least the horizontal cup holder and ash tray sliding covers... I am trying to make up my mind about the CD cover and whether it looks out of place...

The price is not too bad if these are real wood components, but I have no idea how to fit them. Pondering though....

If you look around they also do wood trim for the plastic components of the instrument cluster surround, flip down mirrors, etc. (Though no grab handles)

Chris
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Here is a picture of those wood inserts on the aforementioned website

http://www.performanceproducts4benz....dept%5Fid=6268

The lighting of the picture is probably a bit deceptive. With a black leather interior (like my S600 has) the contrast of black leather and glossy dark burlwood could be fairly classy... or least least the horizontal cup holder and ash tray sliding covers... I am trying to make up my mind about the CD cover and whether it looks out of place...

The price is not too bad if these are real wood components, but I have no idea how to fit them. Pondering though....

If you look around they also do wood trim for the plastic components of the instrument cluster surround, flip down mirrors, etc. (Though no grab handles)

Chris
I have added wood parts from Performance Products on some of the MB's that I have owned. The quality is very good and the match is close but not exact, since trees are not all the same. From what I recall the parts attach with what appears to be super glue or double sided tape. The parts on the ash tray and cup holders look nice in the pictures but the CD cover looks out of place in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have added wood parts from Performance Products on some of the MB's that I have owned. The quality is very good and the match is close but not exact, since trees are not all the same. From what I recall the parts attach with what appears to be super glue or double sided tape. The parts on the ash tray and cup holders look nice in the pictures but the CD cover looks out of place in my opinion.
If these components are just glued on that is a definite downer. Surely the thickness of the wood parts would stand out... at the least it would look tacky and false. The website implies these are replacement components however. If that is the case how to disassemble the original parts and attach the new wood parts is not clear to me - do they send instructions? Are there people who do this? (I have sent them an email to clarify)

Chris