S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

What exactly is crosswind stabilization??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
What exactly is crosswind stabilization??

What is the difference between the ABC on my S550 (which I could not live without on this big car) and the 2010 Active Body Control (ABC) suspension with crosswind stabilization and AMG calibration...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Not exactly sure but when I read about it, I thought it was going a tad too far. Who really needs this?
Apparently it is a fringe benefit of another advanced feature developed, someone noticed it, and R&D guys thought they would add it to the list of features as if that was their intention.

I do like the advanced suspension adjustment feature that is sensing road conditions, pre-tightening the suspension for bumps. I would imagine this feature is a side effect to that.
What do you guys think?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Am esp intrigued by crosswind stabilization, Direct Steer, Tq Vectoring Brake; haven't seen any insightful driving impressions on Net yet

Have ordered a July build '10 CL65 and recently learned there is an AMG prep option where one can choose tire brand (Yokohama vs Conti vs ?Pirelli); car's alignment and balancing is re-checked just before deliv (many cars' alignment is screwed up during boat or truck ride), etc etc

Given how important latest, greatest tires are to steering, braking, traction, handling, it's poss AMG has tweaked its tire tech and choices a bit as well for MY10

Looking forward to driving this '10 65 in ?Aug to see which tech features are really additive to an already brilliant car; am optimistic as I've seen how well they've advanced and debugged the 65's reliability/chassis/traction dynamics over past 3-4yrs
Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2007 S550 AMG with ABC
Have you not driven across a bridge or down a HWY at 70+ MPH and felt the car wanting to change direction on it's own due to a gust of wind (i.e cross into the next lane)? This is because one side of the suspension becomes more loaded that the other (due to the forces of the wind ). The cross wind stabilization feature will effectively detect this situation and end up loading the suspension so that the car doesn't do that.
The Golden gate bridge in San Francisco is really bad for this as it tends to push cars into the oncoming traffic with usually disastrous results. As heavy as the S class is, it still gets buffeted around in wind gusts..
The one thing to note about ABC is that it does take into account the steering wheel angle so if you are not turning the steering wheel, you loose some of the functionality. This sounds like a way to get ABC involved when you are going in a straight direction.

Last edited by irieblue; 05-24-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by irieblue
Have you not driven across a bridge or down a HWY at 70+ MPH and felt the car wanting to change direction on it's own due to a gust of wind (i.e cross into the next lane)? This is because one side of the suspension becomes more loaded that the other (due to the forces of the wind ). The cross wind stabilization feature will effectively detect this situation and end up loading the suspension so that the car doesn't do that.
The Golden gate bridge in San Francisco is really bad for this as it tends to push cars into the oncoming traffic with usually disastrous results. As heavy as the S class is, it still gets buffeted around in wind gusts..

Without a doubt, this feature will be very nice to have. I for one, know what crosswinds can do. On my Honda Goldwing 1800, crosswinds can be very tough on a motorcyclist, especially while crossing bridges over large rivers.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 AM

2007 S550 AMG with ABC
AMG calibrated ABC, has always existed to denote the differences between ABC on the S550 and the AMG cars though to date I have not seen a good comparison as to what exactly that constitutes. Yes the AMG cars sit lower, yes the AMG cars are heavier and have better brakes than the S550 (so the ABC has to be tweaked to handle this). Does the AMG calibrated ABC make the car corner flatter? Anyone know what parameters are different between the AMG calibrated ABC and the stock ABC?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by irieblue
AMG calibrated ABC, has always existed to denote the differences between ABC on the S550 and the AMG cars though to date I have not seen a good comparison as to what exactly that constitutes. Yes the AMG cars sit lower, yes the AMG cars are heavier and have better brakes than the S550 (so the ABC has to be tweaked to handle this). Does the AMG calibrated ABC make the car corner flatter? Anyone know what parameters are different between the AMG calibrated ABC and the stock ABC?
AMG calibrated ABC has been on S63/CL63 etc., the past few years, with the new (and welcome) feature of "crosswind stabilization" a 2009/10 addition. The AMG calibrated setup includes 3 suspension/shift settings, "Comfort". "Sport", and "Manual", with "Comfort" being equivalent to non-AMG "Sport" settings. Personally, I find the AMG "Sport" setting, with it's slightly firmer ride and more aggressive shift points to be the ideal driver setting for AMG vehicles, as it tends to embody what AMG is all about - fast shifts and flat cornering.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
It looks like Chucky300 is looking for a new car. Good for you

ABC...
one of the strongest features (sans V12TT) of S/CL class, is getting upgraded. Nice, very nice.
Just boggles my mind why MB is so "not aggresive enough" advertising this feature.
All Southers States should get this as a mandatory option (I know is an oxymoron)
and Northern ones as an option
I strongly say again - 4Matic is for ....wifes (mine included)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
TECH ANALYSIS

Cross wind stabilization: Two hands on wheel at 10:00 and 2:00.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by markopolo
It looks like Chucky300 is looking for a new car. Good for you

ABC...
one of the strongest features (sans V12TT) of S/CL class, is getting upgraded. Nice, very nice.
Just boggles my mind why MB is so "not aggresive enough" advertising this feature.
All Southers States should get this as a mandatory option (I know is an oxymoron)
and Northern ones as an option
I strongly say again - 4Matic is for ....wifes (mine included)
Hehe, Not quite...I'm very happy with my car - and its problem free so far - I would like to hold on to it longer.

When I purchased it - I wanted ABC - that was something I put on the "can't live without" list. At that time, I could not get ABC and 4matic at the same time. As I am understanding, the facelifted S Class will now allow BOTH features on the car at the same time. This is a plus - as IM sure many were not thrilled to lose the right to the really amazing suspension ABC afforded the heavy car.