S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Air Suspension Noise After Heavy Rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
Air Suspension Noise After Heavy Rain

I have a very weird issue with a V221 S-Class featuring the Airmatic suspension.

During or immediately after a heavy downpour, where the vehicle would drive over road surfaces that have accumulated at least a few cm of rain, the suspension would "clack" when going over speed bumps. This seems to come from the front axle.

The local MB shop is unable to replicate this problem by spraying water into the front axle. This is not surprising because after car washes I also do not hear such clacking.

Because this only happens strictly during/after a heavy rain AND driving over big puddles of water. After a few hours or sometimes overnight, the problem disappears.

I was reading the GL forum and they seem to have a similar problem (except it did not involve any kind of contact with water; and some GL owners complained of such only when vehicle is raised).

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...peedbumps.html

My question is:-
1) Has anyone had similar problems? If yes, how was it fixed?
2) Would the diagnosis in the GL case be relevant to the problem I described?

The vehicle is running out of warranty in 3 months and I would like to get this problem solved before that. Sucks how in some markets MB only offers 2 year warranty.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I did not fully understand the relevance of water puddles and speed bumps. Do you mean you first have to drive over a puddle of water and then the noise comes when you pass a speed bump? Are you sure this is not from ABS/ESP slightly applying brakes? You would not necessarily see the yellow triangle at the cluster if ESP is not reacting hard.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
I have also experienced the noise in heavy rain and just after washing the car. Not a big issue since it never happens in dry weather and not very often in wet weather. Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin on this?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
This DTB may apply:

P-B-32.20/47c - up to VIN A147648 equipped with Airmatic knocking/creaking noise from the front axle area when driving over small bumps such as speed bumps, replace the stabilizer bar.

The knocking noise is the result of the relative motion of the rubber stabilizer bar mount within the retaining bracket. When the stabilizer bar’s retaining brackets are removed, chafing marks can be seen on the two lugs of stabilizer’s bar’s rubber mounts.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by konigstiger
This DTB may apply:

P-B-32.20/47c - up to VIN A147648 equipped with Airmatic knocking/creaking noise from the front axle area when driving over small bumps such as speed bumps, replace the stabilizer bar.

The knocking noise is the result of the relative motion of the rubber stabilizer bar mount within the retaining bracket. When the stabilizer bar’s retaining brackets are removed, chafing marks can be seen on the two lugs of stabilizer’s bar’s rubber mounts.
I've seen that at our side of the pond too, but I don't see how heavy rain would be related to this. Could it be some coincidence?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Sonderklasse
Thanks for the replies.

The problem in my case is that I cannot replicate to the service tech because yes I need to be driving in heavy rain conditions and through sizeable puddles (yeah, bad drainage systems on the roads here).

Other than the rainy day situation above, the suspension is perfectly quiet. Car rides on 19" wheels too. I, too, am confused as to how water could play a role here.

konigstiger, I will show the techs that DTB and see what they say. Thank you!