Suspention "clack" while going over speedbumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55, CL65 C216
Suspention "clack" while going over speedbumps

Hi There !

just got my GL 450 about 1300 km back and like the car. With exception of the "man-made leather" (didnt have other option with the pre-configured 450 over here i Dubai) I think its a good car.

One thing though strikes my attention: I drove a Range Rover before with Air Suspention, and it was very smooth and without any noise while driving over bumps etc. Actually the Air suspention was one of the reasons I went for the GL. The GL is smooth but sometimes noisy.

To make a long story short, while driving over speedbumps or over bumps on "offroad", I get a "clack" noise whenever the suspentions expands. It sounds like a top end limiter "clack" or like the shocks were loose. I know that cant be the case anyhow its anoying and differs heavily from the Rangerover and it happens without driving extremly fast or harsh.

Do you guy also have that noise?

Tom
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG 2014 GL63 AMG
by any chance are you driving with the vehicle raised 3 inches when this happens ?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
See https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...Dec07FSBST.pdf
Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 550
I have also noticed this when suspension is in comfort mode and when vehicle is raised for off-road. The sound is especially loud when it is raised. Seems to come only from front.

lkchris - what is the Startuned service bulletin? Is it official MB? Will the dealer know about this?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 PM

2008 GL 550
Originally Posted by smayshusband
by any chance are you driving with the vehicle raised 3 inches when this happens ?
Yes (also in comfort mode per prior post), why d you ask smayshusband?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM

'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
For what its worth, after lifting the vehicle and using the offroad setting and returning it to normal noticed a squeaking sound when getting in and out of the car. Duplicated this sound when rocking the vehicle, seemed to be coming from the rear quarter on the gas filler side.... Out of curiosity, after reading posts, raised the vehicle and then lowered it again....now the squeak is gone. FYI.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Squeaking sound is normal function of Airmatic, which will begin it's adjustments as soon as you open the doors, whether you start the car or not...peculiar, but it's always been present on mine and never caused a problem...i have NOT heard the clack sound, but i also have a diesel and therefore no ADSII
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 AM

G55, CL65 C216
Hi,

the StarTune Info seems to fit -- makes a lot of sense, had a similar problem in another car (Stabilizer loose).

The sound happens with the car in comfort and without having it liftet. Will see what MB tell me about the Startune info.

Many thanks and keep you posted once its gone,
Tomi
Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG 2014 GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Yes (also in comfort mode per prior post), why d you ask smayshusband?
the reason I asked is because I heard the same claking noise when the vehicle was raised up 3 inches driving slow lets say taking a turn out of the driveway. It sounds like the engine was loose and banging against the frame. It only happens when the vehicle is raised not sure if it was in comfort mode also, I havent tried it again since I got an ear full from my wife to stop touching buttons.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM

2008 GL 550
I took my GL in for this and also gave them a copy of the Service Bulletin in this thread. According to the paper work and service rep they tried just about everyhing and did the below. In a nutshell, the clanking noise is almost completely gone and very faint (can barely hear it when vehicle is raised going over speed bumps or pot holes. It used to be loud and steering felt looser). HOWEVER, it is not entirely gone, despite what rep said was a comprehensive effort. They also drove a new car on lot and got the same faint noise that mine now has. Service rep said he thinks most if not all GLs have this, and hopes\expects MB will issue a Service Bulletin soon.

- perform open campaign on:
power steering gear box/steering rack , r&r
thrust piece and rack (steering removed), adjusted play

- spray wax on front axle bushings

- tightened sway bar end links

- removed steering rack and adjusted radial play in steering rack

- replaced strut assembly - left front air suspension

- replaced stabilizer bar
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM

2008 GL 550
Update - good news! Took it in for Service C (25k) and asked them if there is an updated solution to this problem. My service rep looked it up and found that there is a new control unit available that corrects the mushiness and suspension noise. She told me this is the first install they have done of this unit and to let her know if it worked. In a nutshell we have a fix! No more suspension clacking noise or steering mushiness! I am not sure what the new control unit does - did not notice any reduction in suspension travel in off-road and\or comfort mode. Anyway I am happy to have this repaired and functional like it should have been. Hope this helps others that had this issue.

Invoice lists the following description (all covered under warranty):

Fuse-specify location, replace
ADS control module, replace
Control unit, replace

airmatic control unit as per DTB T-B-32.22/66D. Replaced ECU.
Pulled fuse as per diagnostic procedure of DTB, road test. Noise is gone now. Replaced airmatic control unit wuth updated version per DTB.