S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

How to replace rear license light bulb?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s600 2007 cls63
How to replace rear license light bulb?

Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove the rear license plate light bulb? I noticed that I need to remove the black plastic piece that runs the length of the chrome part and there's a keyhole on the left side of it. tried using a flathead screwdriver to no avail. anyone replaced the light bulb before and could shed some light on how would be appreciated..
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It should be sufficient to remove the trunk lining and replace the bulb from inside. Not exactly easy in any case.

How come your bulb has gone, these usually last very long. We have lights always on and so far I have not changed the bulb from any of my MBs (the 221 is from 2006).
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 PM

S63 AMG E63 AMG Wagon
To change the wedge bulbs only:

To take the trunk liner off, you first have to take the trunk hinge covers off, then a plastic cover that wraps around the truck latch. these are held on by torx and 2 clips. Few wires have to be disconnected, liner will be loose at this point, but try not to break the clips when you pull the liner off.

If you want to replace the whole rear license plate bulb assembly: (full LED conversion)

To replace the rear license plate bulbs on W221, you will have to remove the trunk cover lining, and the outer plastic cover right above the rear license plate. (this is only visible from outside of the car)
(continue from above) once the liner comes off, you will have to use a short phillips screw driver to remove 2 screws thats holding the trunk release button from inside the trunk. "plastic cover" right above the license plate is held on by these 2 screws, and 3~4 clips. instead of pulling the cover off the trunk, its easier to push the clips out using a plier from inside the trunk cover so that the plastic doesn't crack

Once the plastic cover comes off, you will have full access to the rear license plate bulbs assembly. hope this helps.

thx
Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
To change the wedge bulbs only:

To take the trunk liner off, you first have to take the trunk hinge covers off, then a plastic cover that wraps around the truck latch. these are held on by torx and 2 clips. Few wires have to be disconnected, liner will be loose at this point, but try not to break the clips when you pull the liner off.

If you want to replace the whole rear license plate bulb assembly: (full LED conversion)

To replace the rear license plate bulbs on W221, you will have to remove the trunk cover lining, and the outer plastic cover right above the rear license plate. (this is only visible from outside of the car)
(continue from above) once the liner comes off, you will have to use a short phillips screw driver to remove 2 screws thats holding the trunk release button from inside the trunk. "plastic cover" right above the license plate is held on by these 2 screws, and 3~4 clips. instead of pulling the cover off the trunk, its easier to push the clips out using a plier from inside the trunk cover so that the plastic doesn't crack

Once the plastic cover comes off, you will have full access to the rear license plate bulbs assembly. hope this helps.

thx
WOW!!! All that just to get to two light bulbs huh? I guess MB really doesnt want the owners doing any repairs themselves. But I'm still going to try though!!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by s600ed
WOW!!! All that just to get to two light bulbs huh? I guess MB really doesnt want the owners doing any repairs themselves. But I'm still going to try though!!
It is the same for MB as it is for yourself. They don't do it like this to make work at home difficult. It is just a cost saving and production simplification when the service is supposed to be needed very very rarely. If I understood right, your bulbs were not gone and the car did not need service.

Making retrofits easy is not their primary design criterion. Making after market installations easy is something they may even intentionally make difficult.

I'm sure you would not have problems performing this task anyway.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
Its just interesting in the owners manual it says to just visit the dealer for this bulb replacement and does not offer any other explanation.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by s600ed
Its just interesting in the owners manual it says to just visit the dealer for this bulb replacement and does not offer any other explanation.
Yes, you are probably referring to the rear lights too, not only the licence plate lights. On the W211 at least the bulbs cannot be replaced one by one, instead the whole circuit board with all the bulbs will be changed if a bulb fails. Those are HiP bulbs or LEDs and should last extremely long. This is why the bulb change is not designed to be done by the owner (assuming an average owner who does not service the car otherwise either).

If they had been using standard bulbs, then they should have built a flap to the lining, allowing access to the bulbs.

My previous W211 was almost six years old when I sold it and none of the rear light bulbs had gone even if we must always use lights (day and night, summer and winter).
Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
Just finished the job.....I cant believe how many plastic clips MB used to hold the trunk lid liner!! And Diesel, you're absolutely right, a simple flap in the liner eliminates about 60% of the work involved but I guess would also add to build cost on their end. It was surely a PITA but I'm just glad no plastic pieces were broken and every piece went back to where it came from...