S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Porsche Panamera Dud?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Um, what car does mercedes make that is better than a 911, a 911 S, a 911 turbo, 911 GT2, 911 GT3, or 911 GT3-RS.

The SL? The CLK BS? Never in a million years.
Do you know what IMHO means? You name any Porsche and I will always choose a MB, as far as the 911's go there is always MB ie slk, clk, sl and at the upper end the Black Series and SLR. And yes I have driven 911 Turbo and Black Series CLK.

Last edited by 13pauls; 11-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ok, thats your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more.

Luxury? MB all the way.

Sports car? porsche by a mile.

Love the launch edition interior btw.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 11-09-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
[QUOTE=vonbeeler;3799289]
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I guess for me the point is Porsche was always way above in performance and at the $100k base model its just mediocre.

So in summary as of late Porsche has been too much $ for not enough performance for me. QUOTE]

I am repeating myself because I don't think it came across the first time....
So In summary: AS OF LATE, Porsche has been too much $ for not enough performance for me.

I wasn't trying to compare head to head even though they almost do. I was using the M3 as illustration that the Porsche is too much $ for the performance or lack thereof at its price point.

To further the debate of too much $ for not enough performance. Here is another illustration: I just sold a base 5 year old Corvette with Z-51 pkg that was more HP, 3200lbs, a lot more torque, handled 95% as well, for a paltry $27 grand. So when I look at a brand new 911 S with less overall performance for $105,000 its just not very motivating and actually disappointing.

U r also saying u bought a used M3, so a used 2007 997TT wholesales for mid 80's and again for that price point whats better balanced, more powerful, more drivable while still giving u status of driving a Porsche, I contend nothing....and a used Carrera S is much cheaper....

Lou
Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Um, what car does mercedes make that is better than a 911, a 911 S, a 911 turbo, 911 GT2, 911 GT3, or 911 GT3-RS.

The SL? The CLK BS? Never in a million years.

Im with u, MB makes nothing like any Porsche...Ive driven every MB AMG besides the SL black series and they still arent close to Porsche's...Theyre still much heavier, less sporty and not in the same same league performance or handling wise...I'll go even as far as saying MB AMG cant match BMW M in overall sport/handling/steering feel much less Porsche....As some poster above said Porsche does luxury better than MB does sportiness....And porsche certainly does sport miles better than MB.....

And im not trying to bash MB, to each his own, MB makes unbelievable and beautiful cars, sporty they are not

Lou
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 AM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by LSM777

U r also saying u bought a used M3, so a used 2007 997TT wholesales for mid 80's and again for that price point whats better balanced, more powerful, more drivable while still giving u status of driving a Porsche, I contend nothing....and a used Carrera S is much cheaper....

Lou
I'm not paying for status because IMO Porsche isn't offering the status that I want now. If I'm buying purely a sports car then Ferrari is my choice. Porsche has lost it for me. I really believe it is because I don't feel they have been putting their best foot forward and relying too much on heritage. Which also explains why there are the most profitable. The SUV and now sedan offerings probably contributed to my changed perception. HOWEVER I do somewhat agree with your points (except Carrara S-just too weak for $) as I really like the turbo but really need a usable rear seat at this time for my daily.

Last edited by vonbeeler; 11-10-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 AM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LSM777

Lou
I do not agree with you on the Carrara S-just too weak. Come on... a less expensive Z06 and GTR would obliterate that relic. However yes I really like the turbo and agree with you on that but need a usable rear seat for my daily at this time. Porsche doesn't offer much status does it??? And Lou if you have access to wholesale prices then I should be going with you next time to the auction! Then I will be agreeing with you as I'm not paying the status(perceived) mark-up. i will like a 430 spyder red/tan next summer. Take me.

Last edited by vonbeeler; 11-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 AM

2012 MB CLS 550
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I do not agree with you on the Carrara S-just too weak. Come on... a less expensive Z06 and GTR would obliterate that relic. However yes I really like the turbo and agree with you on that but need a usable rear seat for my daily at this time. Porsche doesn't offer much status does it??? And Lou if you have access to wholesale prices then I should be going with you next time to the auction! Then I will be agreeing with you as I'm not paying the status(perceived) mark-up. i will like a 430 spyder red/tan next summer. Take me.
Im not a dealer and dont go to auction...Im not in the automotive field, however, I have lots of dealer friends...And status I was referring to status vs a Chevy...We'll agree to disagree for me Porsche makes the best sports cars, most drivable, usable, bulletproof etc....I can certainly refer u to anyone u'd like and I know ppl who will get u a car just over wholesale...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by absent
Regardless of the questionable styling (looks better in reality then in pictures) ,it still is dynamically head and shoulders above ANY sedan on the market currently.
Interior is a Bulls Eye ,too.
Anyone who after driving it says that car is a POS is either mentally challenged or is lying about driving it (again,questionable styling notwithstanding).
I drove both models the 4s and TT, very nice vehicles both of them!. It isn't for everyone, some people like a bit of change, some people have an SUV and Sportscar, now they can have a sedan from the same manu.

I love the interior, I would change a few things, but that is only being super critical. the interior is nicer than the new S class by far. fit and finish wise. the new 2010 is looking a bit caddy on the inside! especially the center console
Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 130 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Porsche 911 is a fun car to own and there is nothing that compares to it. It is a 40 year old work in progress that has no equal. It is an iconic car with a cult like following not seen by any other mass produced automobile. Having said all of that, the car is only a toy and has no practical purpose. You practically must hate your money to buy one. As foolish a purchase it may be, I hate to think of the day I don't own a 911.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM

2012 MB CLS 550
Originally Posted by petee1997
Porsche 911 is a fun car to own and there is nothing that compares to it. It is a 40 year old work in progress that has no equal. It is an iconic car with a cult like following not seen by any other mass produced automobile. Having said all of that, the car is only a toy and has no practical purpose. You practically must hate your money to buy one. As foolish a purchase it may be, I hate to think of the day I don't own a 911.
HAHA true that and good explanation....The only practical purpose I can garner was the huge smile everytime i drove my turbos....Thats right there is all the practicality I needed!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by petee1997
Then again, if you purchase an 87-89 or 95-98 911, you most likely won't lose much money, as they are some of the few fairly modern cars that don't depreciate like a rock.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 AM

i have been spewing a lot of trash talk on Porsche here but I gotta say I do love the turbos new and old. I'm sure I always will. I have fond memories the first time a saw the huge fender flares and wail tail to the unbelievable torque and launch of the latest tt 997. I think my frustration comes from the fact the I would prefer they kept the brand more exclusive. I saw a few photoshops of a potential new Panam version in coupe 928 style and I would definitely consider that.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Smile

NOSTALGIA: The company which built cars so peculiar that, under Dr. Porsche's dealers were not required to keep parts in stock because "my cars will not break down and need them". So replacements to the 911 in all its variables might be expected to be clones, but not creative avant-garde works of artistic and scientific engineering.

PRESENT: Ferdie Porsche and Jr are gone! The "Harvard School of Management" criteria, endowed with a VW badge, took over and the outlook is different. Nevertheless, the sports classical series two-sitters are unbeatable for iced and twisting mountain roads as well as for all purpose transportation. Getting into the larger daily drivers, the company policies is failing in that basic units are in desperate need of a considerable list of options which, for example, in the case of the Panamera T takes the list price from $136,000 to around $200k. A pricing policy change following a serious value engineering review, as big as the change from air cooled to water cooled engines, is deemed appropriate.

FUTURE: Who knows where the egocentric hunger for luxury lines shown by VW will lead... Meanwhile, if we love sport cars it's Porsche classics, if we need a DD with rocket acceleration with a hard ride it's BMW, if we need the plush luxury of comfort and unexcelled transportation it's MB... and if we cannot detach from the masses it's whatever we can afford from a Chevy, a Kia, or a Ford up (no Trabands or Yugos, please.

Well, I'll go back to sleep and you may go back to arguing. JV

PS: Just in case I'd like to open the umbrella before it rains: I'm driven in Company S or rent them in the US, and own a C in Argentina to look like other brands for security reasons. I'm a Mercedes aficionado all the way.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
AMG cars are sportier when you compare them with Mercedes's own lines of cars. Porsches, always have a special place in my heart as a sports car.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Porsche, Mercedes & MINI
I just started a new thread on what do S-class owners think of the Panamera.

I think in this thread many interesting points are touched, obviously with the turn of events at Porsche, the Panamera is redundant in the VW spectrum, where the Cayenne sold well because it brought a new customer segment into the brand, the Panamera will not, it arrives late into a segment that is not expanding and it will be hard to find new customers for the Panamera, even worse, it will cause a split choice at the Porsche showroom thus slowing down the sales of Cayenne and some 911's, that's my prediction.

As far as the looks, well, obviously the S63 takes the cake as far as exterior looks, interior finish and power, but a well configured Panamera could stick.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:26 PM

2007 S550 Sport
I can't say anything about the driving dynamics of the Panamera as I have not driven one yet. But I don't think I will ever get that opportunity as I think it looks hideous. I love all iterations of the 911, Cayman, and the 928 will forever be my boy-hood dream car, but first the cayenne and now this? I don't know whats going on over in stuttgart...