S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

My Brother's new Designo S350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by TDwayne69
Hey jtanoyo1,

Its unfortunate that the prices are so high in your country, I think the big disparity in price is due to number of units sold in the US in comparison to your country. When I was stationed in Germany, I brought my US spec BMW 323i over with me and also purchased my US spec BMW 750Li while I was there. When I went and looked at the European spec models, they were seriously lacking in options, quality, and are considerably more expensive than the US the models sent to the US. I remember when the new S-Class first came out in 2005 at the Frankfurt Car Show, a base model was priced over 120K Euros (in Germany) over 30K dollars more than US models.
Keep in mind that Germany has a VAT of 19%. Lots of other countries such as Malaysia have high import taxes on foreign cars. I believe Malaysia is 100%. But it truly is amazing how the US is "lucky" that the Mercedes here are relatively inexpensive compared to other markets. Unfortunately, MB North America loves to limit the options, colors, and features that US spec cars get.

In regards to your US spec 750, how did you purchase a US spec in Germany/ how were you able to get a US price for it? Like you go to the German dealer and say I'm a US citizen and would like a US spec car that I will send back in X months?...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Keep in mind that Germany has a VAT of 19%. Lots of other countries such as Malaysia have high import taxes on foreign cars. I believe Malaysia is 100%. But it truly is amazing how the US is "lucky" that the Mercedes here are relatively inexpensive compared to other markets. Unfortunately, MB North America loves to limit the options, colors, and features that US spec cars get.

In regards to your US spec 750, how did you purchase a US spec in Germany/ how were you able to get a US price for it? Like you go to the German dealer and say I'm a US citizen and would like a US spec car that I will send back in X months?...
In response to how I purchased a US spec 750, while I was stationed in Germany. Fortunate for any US Department of Defense personnel to include DoD civilians serving overseas, qualify to purchase a European vehicle with US specs (and have it shipped back to the states free of charge) at a significant discount. Since I'm in the in the US Military and at the time of my purchase, I was stationed in Germany, I qualified for this program. Now, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and a few other European car makers have a "Special Military Program" under their European Purchase Program. This also applies to military personnel deployed in support of the US, NATO, and UN Forces. When I purchased my 750, I received a 14% discount and bought my 07 750Li at the base price of a 06 with just about every option except night vision. Currently my wife is deployed, but unfortunately we don't need another car right now or we would use the program. This would be the best time to purchase the 2010 S65, its not available in the US market yet, but I'm sure its is available already in Europe.

Last edited by TDwayne69; 11-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whoa that's really cool... now if only there was some way to order a US spec car w/ European options such as rear fridge and stone trim...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Well there is another option, purchase a European spec vehicle and once its transported back to the US, have the required US emissions equipment added (catalytic converter, etc.). Honestly for the price that you will have to pay to get the car to US emissions requirements, its not worth it.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TDwayne69
Well there is another option, purchase a European spec vehicle and once its transported back to the US, have the required US emissions equipment added (catalytic converter, etc.). Honestly for the price that you will have to pay to get the car to US emissions requirements, its not worth it.
Right, but if you buy the Euro spec car, that means the Euro spec price! Your euro S65 w/ Designo granite, and fridge will probably end up costing almost as much as a Maybach. meh, or I guess you could attempt to have the stuff retrofitted on a US model.

I just can't get over how goregous this interior is on the OP's S350. I really wish we could order cars like that in the US.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
I know when I originally ordered my 750, the salesman talked directly with the production manager at the assembly plant. I'm not sure if this relationship is the same with MB, but its a good chance that it maybe. Most wealthy customer (millionaire types) always get their vehicles completely customized with options that we can only dream of getting as a regular customer.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s600 2007 cls63
I know when I originally ordered my 750, the salesman talked directly with the production manager at the assembly plant. I'm not sure if this relationship is the same with MB, but its a good chance that it maybe. Most wealthy customer (millionaire types) always get their vehicles completely customized with options that we can only dream of getting as a regular customer.
Pardon my ignorance, but what position do you have to hold with the DOD to be able to live so comfortable? I've just always had the impression that DOD personnel stationed overseas had great benefits but not salaries....again, didnt mean to offend you in anyway but just very curious...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by s600ed
Pardon my ignorance, but what position do you have to hold with the DOD to be able to live so comfortable? I've just always had the impression that DOD personnel stationed overseas had great benefits but not salaries....again, didnt mean to offend you in anyway but just very curious...

First I would say, being in the military doesn't mean you're paid chump change. Depending on what your rank is and your time in service, y weighs heavily the salary you make. That being said, both my wife and I are officers in the US Army. My wife has 23 years of service and counting and I have 20 years and counting. So that means we do very well, but that's not to say that an enlisted soldier or a DOD civilian wouldn't be paid pretty good as well. Something that you may not know is, when your stationed overseas you receive a Cost of Living Adjustment based on the country you're in. This is in addition to your normal pay, but none of this means anything without being money conscience. So living comfortably is based on planing and discipline and not just the salary that someone makes.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
First I would say, being in the military doesn't mean you're paid chump change. Depending on what your rank is and your time in service, y weighs heavily the salary you make. That being said, both my wife and I are officers in the US Army. My wife has 23 years of service and counting and I have 20 years and counting. So that means we do very well, but that's not to say that an enlisted soldier or a DOD civilian wouldn't be paid pretty good as well. Something that you may not know is, when your stationed overseas you receive a Cost of Living Adjustment based on the country you're in. This is in addition to your normal pay, but none of this means anything without being money conscience. So living comfortably is based on planing and discipline and not just the salary that someone makes.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM

2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by s600ed
Thanks for the explanation...like I said earlier just being curious, that's all.
Oh not a problem, I just wanted to ensure that I answered your curiosity.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 PM

2008 S63 AMG, 2006 G500
Mashallah !!! Looks unique.