S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Must-have options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
ABC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must-have options

What are the must-have options? I want P2 and AMG, but I have a dealer that just got in a 550 with P2A minus the AMG.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
P2 is a great option. I would like an AMG package but it is not a make or break for me; I would probably put my own rims on the car anyway...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
ABC. AMG "Sport" package is useless as far as actually adding any kind of sporty feel to the ride; it should be called "Visual" package ;-)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM

CL65 AMG , white S550 Sport w/ white Giovanna 22s, wild custom chopper
ABC is really nice, over the Airmatic if you are looking for great handling. However, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, ABC can be a nightmare when it fails. My CL55 has ABC, great system when it works - but you're looking at thousands of dollars when it fails and you aren't under warranty. Examples are tandem pump going out, $2k+, system contamination caused by failed pumps coming apart and sending debris through the lines and damaging valves or struts becomes very expensive, over $10k worth of repair to replace the entire system - which has been the case for many ABC owners.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, it's worth considering not going the ABC route. Also the ABC system failures are not directly tied to hard driving. I've heard of cars close to 50k miles without being abused having these failures.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
ABC

thanks guys! this board rocks.

i think this car is a long-term keeper so i'll avoid the ABC. i do plan on getting an extended warranty.

i like the AMG for the visual effect, but i'm not under any delusions that the car will handle like a sports car.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
ABC

Cl55 serge-- did you lower your car? if so, what lowering module did you use? the 22s look so nice. how muich worse is the ride? i have 22s on my cayenne so i know a harsh ride...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM

I think ABC is much better in the current revision than 9 years ago (both feature- and reliability-wise); I haven't heard any reliability complaints on 2008-2009 W221s equipped with it (bear in mind that S600/S65s come with it standard). If you're buying the extended warranty, you shouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 PM

That is definitely true. I will ask the local shop foreman on his experience with the new system and see if it is indeed better... Now as far as aftermarket warranties that you'd be looking at after your factory expires often will not cover it, depending on the mileage, for example Western General. They specifically exclude this system because of being burned by many policy holders which had the problems.

Originally Posted by skrontz
I think ABC is much better in the current revision than 9 years ago (both feature- and reliability-wise); I haven't heard any reliability complaints on 2008-2009 W221s equipped with it (bear in mind that S600/S65s come with it standard). If you're buying the extended warranty, you shouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah, I think the only extended warranty worth getting is the MB one. I'm still unclear on whether I am going to go down that path myself, but if one is certain that they're going to keep the car past the original warranty -- it's a pretty logical move.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I found GE & Western General to be good, they took care of everything that broke on my S600 coupe (I think like 15k worth of repairs) and the CL55 as well. Extended warranties are as good as your service advisor's willingness to go the extra mile that is required when they work with adjusters from the warranty companies. In a good economy, it was hard to find service advisers that wanted to deal with it because people were more willing to pay for the repairs out of pocket, now it's a bit easier.

Originally Posted by skrontz
Yeah, I think the only extended warranty worth getting is the MB one. I'm still unclear on whether I am going to go down that path myself, but if one is certain that they're going to keep the car past the original warranty -- it's a pretty logical move.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by CL55_Serge
I found GE & Western General to be good, they took care of everything that broke on my S600 coupe (I think like 15k worth of repairs) and the CL55 as well. Extended warranties are as good as your service advisor's willingness to go the extra mile that is required when they work with adjusters from the warranty companies. In a good economy, it was hard to find service advisers that wanted to deal with it because people were more willing to pay for the repairs out of pocket, now it's a bit easier.
You are quite correct. A good working relationship with your Service Adviser (SA) is absolutely essential. It's not cheap, overtipping a must, but it pays (pun intended) in the long run big time.
I'm very happy with my SA, always gives my car to the top mechanic, even for oil change.

Btw, I purchased 7y. extended warranty from MB.

So the answer to OP:
ABC suspension,
Distronic Plus,
MB's extended warranty,

and...V12TT (just kidding)

Last edited by Red Marko; 01-22-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Agree, ABC and DistPlus (Driver Assist stuff not the cruise ctrl itself) are must-haves for improved driving precision and safety; also, spec perf tires, not the worthless no-season tires std on many S550s (big braking distance diffs affect active safety)

Run the nos. for self but properly value own time; peace of mind; lack of mtce costs; and increased safety of fresh, newer airbag systems/seatbelts/sensors/braking&stability systems, etc: I suspect for many who drive <15K mis/yr, $0-down leasing a new, '10 S550 (spec'd to one's tastes) for 2 yrs and repeating every 2 yrs is best value, not a used car, no matter conventional wisdom

Have used this approach for past ~10yrs in leasing new S550s for my mother (who doesn't drive much and hates to see me "waste" money on cars)...but I feel much better when she's driving safest car I can offer; she doesn't waste time visiting dealer for glitches/maintenance, etc (recent S-Classes are truly bulletproof in reliability and lack of glitches, despite so much new tech)...have full lemon law protection in event of the rare lemon...and keep cash invested outside a depreciating, obsoleting tech device (and have lease-gap insurance on S550)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

How much was the 7yr extended warranty?

One thing folks have to watch out for that this isn't an option when buying cars from auction - must be dealer certified to be qualified for the MB warranty. Any way around this?

Originally Posted by markopolo
You are quite correct. A good working relationship with your Service Adviser (SA) is absolutely essential. It's not cheap, overtipping a must, but it pays (pun intended) in the long run big time.
I'm very happy with my SA, always gives my car to the top mechanic, even for oil change.

Btw, I purchased 7y. extended warranty from MB.

So the answer to OP:
ABC suspension,
Distronic Plus,
MB's extended warranty,

and...V12TT (just kidding)
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM
ABC

For a CPO car, I was quoted $3995 for 2 yrs of extended warranty through MB.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by CL55_Serge
How much was the 7yr extended warranty?

One thing folks have to watch out for that this isn't an option when buying cars from auction - must be dealer certified to be qualified for the MB warranty. Any way around this?
At that time, list - $4,890.
Paid - $4,000.
No brainer, in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM

2008 S550 designo
I'm guessing by 7 years, you are talking about the standard 4 year plus the 3 years available extended through MB? I bought mine CPO (4 + 1 standard) and added 2 years (7 years total) for just under $3000. The price started at $3995, but it is negotiable. I think you have more leverage at time of purchase than trying after.

Even with the W221 being significantly more reliable than the W220, I still thought it wise to go this route. The sheer amount of electronics, plus Airmatic, makes it worthwhile to me. I had to replace the Airmatic pump in my S500 at 55,000 miles.