S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Picked up my 'new' S550 yesterday!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by emilner
I would say this car makes you wish you don't arrive, that you get stuck in traffic, that the nav accidentally takes you to the Hamptons by the way of Miami-you just never want to leave the car. I hate getting somewhere now. Seriously. Getting out of the car is my least favorite part of the day.

I truly believe the S is not built by the same company that built my E, they are so world's apart. It is without a doubt worth the price of admission (at least for me by buying an '07 CPO)....
Most excellent write up emilner - you get the S-Class, not just the statistics and obvious features but the feeling of driving and owning one... I came from a w211 myself and there is no going back. Congratulations!

You are so right... in this car the journey is the destination... Unless the weather is bad I usually commute by bike... so when I drive my S600 the sense of occasion just sitting behind the wheel is even more magnified... I like the contrast!

I do not find the S_Class too big at all.. I am not large at only 5"8" and 140 pounds, but I find the sense of space and airyness is a big part of the overall experience. The car will soon shrink around you!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 02-01-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Seems they vary. Since M-B kept the AMG Package on these cars as exclusives, and high cost Options, they do command quite a bit more in the Used market (most new M-B's like the new E, and C, are coming out with AMG Packages as Standard basically, which is diluting the desirability of them IMO).

I can't speak on how much other Options command, as I haven't payed much attention, but I can say that around here, an '07 S550 with AMG Package can be found with a CPO, and pretty high mileage (55-65K) for low-mid $40's, and same Package, with lower miles (30-ishK) are still sitting in the $50's, although seems they're coming into the $40's as well too in some cases.

Take off CPO and the AMG Package and obviously they become more of a "bargain".

Well in ny at my MB dealership they are charging me 59 and it's not fully loaded doesn't have a pano roof ;( what area are you in
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 212 Posts
S560
$59 is high, give me a PM, you should be low 50's for an optioned under 40k miles cpo car...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Back to your initial question about NAV etc. I just went through this. Each service manager has a different answer but in the end you need to ask for two separate things. The NAV disc and upgrade are about $250 at dealer. Happy to send you the disc and you can do it your self. Command update is a stand alone upgrade that I spent $50 on. Best $50 ever spent on a car. That gets you amoungst other things: Real time traffic (amazing option) fly over(3D) view, better SIRIUS functions(you see what's playing) and a few other goodies like being able to watch a video while you spend you life waiting for kids at dance, sports,school etc.

Careful though. On round one I did NAV upgrade and asked for command update. Command not done. I think service manager did not know what I wanted. Second go around with different service guy was fine.

I'm with you on your observations. For now the S550 rules. Will wait for the 2011 A8L and see.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'm in L.A, yeah Emliner's price is about what I'm seeing here.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by jprescott
Back to your initial question about NAV etc. I just went through this. Each service manager has a different answer but in the end you need to ask for two separate things. The NAV disc and upgrade are about $250 at dealer. Happy to send you the disc and you can do it your self. Command update is a stand alone upgrade that I spent $50 on. Best $50 ever spent on a car. That gets you amoungst other things: Real time traffic (amazing option) fly over(3D) view, better SIRIUS functions(you see what's playing) and a few other goodies like being able to watch a video while you spend you life waiting for kids at dance, sports,school etc.

Careful though. On round one I did NAV upgrade and asked for command update. Command not done. I think service manager did not know what I wanted. Second go around with different service guy was fine.

I'm with you on your observations. For now the S550 rules. Will wait for the 2011 A8L and see.
Ok, you confused me a little. There is a command update and a nav update? I was under the impression that you need to have the command updated and then just load a new nav disc. I am also going to ask to have the IC updated to stop that infernal "don't forget your key" chime that is on for as long as you open the door.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM

s550 lorinser
Im a little confused on the order of events and best (cost efficient) way of doing it.
Can some one break it down step by step? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Sim- Are you asking about the nav/telematics update? If you have an 07 with the older telematics you can go to the dealer and tell them your nav is acting up-freezing, blacking out etc. They will update you to the new version of nav that supports RT traffic. Then you need to buy/rent/borrow a new 7.? nav DVD to load the new maps and features.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM

s550 lorinser
thanks emilner!
so basically call in for nav freezing??? i will give it a try, hopefully all goes well.
have you done this yourself?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Originally Posted by simothysingh
Im a little confused on the order of events and best (cost efficient) way of doing it.
Can some one break it down step by step? Thanks in advance!
I can tell you I had the NAV update without full command update. Had new street info etc but needed to return to dealer to get update allowing the fly by and realtime traffic.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Congrats on the purchase!

To say I am spoiled now is an understatement, in a way it is almost letdown- seriously- where do I go from her - Bentley? J/K
I'm there with you. I recently picked up an '04 S600 and feel the same way. At 25yrs old I've not got much upward movement left in the car department...well besides a newer one!

-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It will be difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well though out. Storage is everywhere.
Designo or S600/65 Personally I was rather disappointed with the feel of the quality and feel of the 550/63 interior, the design/V12s feeling a big step IMO.

I also agree with you on the A8. My father had an earlier W220 and is now on his second consecutive A8, with the new ones coming out he was able to score a great deal on a current generation one. To me the A8 feels more sterile and doesn't do as much for me as the S Class; W221 or W220.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM

2009 S550V4 Saks Key to Cure
What mods are you considering? I picked up my S in Sept and am always looking for a mod, from the minute to the major.

BTW, if after driving the S for a while, you don't feel like it has the giddy up you think it should, I recommend that you have the ECU flashed/reset. This will allow the S to learn and adapt to your driving habits (erasing the previous owners).

Planning any? Yes. Will they all come to fruition? Who knows. I will post some pics next week after the car is detailed. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I might do a set of 20's (not really looking for the ride killing 21-22"), renntech ecu, I'd love to do an exhaust-off a 63 or 65 maybe. Maybe a nice sub to enhance the low end. Tints are going on next week. Frankly I might not get very far. I am looking for when that new TT V8 is going in the current 221, that might be my signal for a new one.

I have had a little more chance to push the car and I cannot believe how great she handles!! I have taken corners easily as fast as my E550 but I was not at the limit. My E would break free and feel like the computer was trying hard to keep things in line. I have tried to push this car into the corners and I have yet to reach the limit. I might be taking it easy since in my mind it SHOULD not handle as well as my E, but it seems like it can hold the same if not more absolute grip. Now this is not to say the transitions can compare. When it comes to quick R/L's the E certainly shined. The shear size of the S makes those hard transitions sometimes unsettling. Sorry, but I just cannot believe how damn flat this car handles! I can't imagine what ABC is like. How MB is able to get a car this big to ride on a cloud then rip a turn the way it does is beyond my comprehension.

Throttle application is far different from the E to the S. My E was hard wired to my brain, when I thought accelerate the car moved, and moved hard. That was in C or S, the difference was perceptible but minor. While driving the S550 in the C mode the throttle is very muted. I feel like it demands far more throttle to get things going. When in S mode things liven up, you need that first gear to move the weight off the line. It certainly acts like the sprint booster for throttle position. I only wish you could change tranny and suspension modes separately. In my S550 you only have the option of C tranny with comfort suspension or S tranny with Sport suspension. But it's ok I'll live.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 688 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

I have had a little more chance to push the car and I cannot believe how great she handles!! I have taken corners easily as fast as my E550 but I was not at the limit. My E would break free and feel like the computer was trying hard to keep things in line. I have tried to push this car into the corners and I have yet to reach the limit. I might be taking it easy since in my mind it SHOULD not handle as well as my E, but it seems like it can hold the same if not more absolute grip. Now this is not to say the transitions can compare. When it comes to quick R/L's the E certainly shined. The shear size of the S makes those hard transitions sometimes unsettling. Sorry, but I just cannot believe how damn flat this car handles! I can't imagine what ABC is like. How MB is able to get a car this big to ride on a cloud then rip a turn the way it does is beyond my comprehension.
This is consistent with Motorweek's slalom test of the S400 I watched today. That car just handled beautifully. What a great automobile.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
I might do a set of 20's (not really looking for the ride killing 21-22"), renntech ecu, I'd love to do an exhaust-off a 63 or 65 maybe. Maybe a nice sub to enhance the low end. Tints are going on next week.
...Sorry, but I just cannot believe how damn flat this car handles! I can't imagine what ABC is like. How MB is able to get a car this big to ride on a cloud then rip a turn the way it does is beyond my comprehension.
I would strongly recommend not to go with anything bigger than 19". Especially on New York roads. You will, (not might, will) replace them very frequently.
I'm in the City 3-4 times every week, driving thru NJ and PA. Don't know what's worse; NY or NJ. If not for additional wheel/tire insurance (original MB purchase), I'd be out of approx. $1,100 - $1,400 every time I hit the pothole. And I hit it every 2-3 months or so.
I'm on my 9th or 10th claim and some of those claims are for 2 wheels (2 fronts or front and back, depending).
Don't forget, that you HAVE to do 4-wheel geometry every time you hit the pothole. Ouch. Spend your money on a good dinner instead.

As for ABC, second generation one (current-trouble free)...
It defines the Gravity. Takes a tiny bit of a practice to find a break (ditch) point.
After that....absolute NUMBER-1-MUST-HAVE!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
Don't go over 19" ----> I agree

I have 2008 S550 with AMG package. 19" AMG wheel. I live in NYC queens.
OH~my god many pot holes this winter. especially in Bronks and manhattan.
I always try to escape the pot holes but sometimes I can't. For far, wheels are ok for last 2 years but I did 2 alignment adjust and they were off alot due to the road condition and large diameter wheel. To compare, my wife 2007
X5 has been checked for alignment and it was perfect to factory spec with almost same milage to my car. So be careful with anything over 19". I really recomend 18"..
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
Regarding noisy Wipers, there is a TSIB (something about the angle) that's easily fixable, I had them fix my wipers when I took it in for service, now they are quiet. Sounds like you have squeaky brakes, there is also a TSIB for this, but I think it only applies for the first year that they will fix it under warranty. Just do like me and upgrade to the S600 Brembo brakes, and the squeaky brakes not only go away, the car stops infinitely better.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I replaced the wiper blades with rainx ones and the problem is gone. I also found out that the subwoofer was blown and that is why there was no low end. It seems to be very common- I would recommend that anyone who thinks the car lacks punch should check to see if the sub is working. Now that it is fixed the system is much better.

The brakes did not squeak, they just required a lot of effort. I had squeaky brakes on my 211 which was fixed with a set of porterfields (and it also fixed the brake dust). Either I have gotten used to them or they have gotten better- they do not bug me anymore. The car had new rotors and pads done last year at an MB dealer. Curiously, it has very little brake dust, which I'm not sure if it is common to S classes or if it is due to a better MB set or aftermarket. I'd love to go for a set of S600 brakes, but choke at the sticker shock....
Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM

2016 C300
stupid question but where is the sub located?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 AM

2005 350z Roadster
I think you said it all "This car is a gentleman's thoroughbred." Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed impression. I am solidly in the wannabee category but I don't see how I can go wrong.

I will add a bit off topic, that the last forum I was involved with that was as educational as this was with my Hayabusa. It is good to feel like I found a home again.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by C32Andy
stupid question but where is the sub located?
Under the rear deck there is an 8" X 12" sub. It is very shallow, you can really only see the magnet, but there are holes that you can look through to see the cone itself.

To test it:

Get a song going at moderate volume that has a lot of low end bass. Put your finger through one of the holes in the sub bracket and touch the cone of the sub- it should be bouncing pretty hard. If it is dead you will still feel minor movement because there are two other speakers located right next to it that will vibrate the dead cone.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
A little of topic, is that your home garage (the pic. with the E class and I assume your daughter) and what sort of tile is that on the floor?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Yep, that is my garage, my old E (factory lemoned) and my angel. I love the pic and have not tried to get another with the new car (although I think my son is looking to be part of the sig). They are VCT composite tiles.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
emilner how much did the dealer charge to install the new rotors and pads? How many miles were on the car at the time of the change?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
My car had new rotors/pads done right before I got it. I will say that MB rapes poor souls with their brake job prices. I have done them in the past and I will say it is the easiest brake job I have ever done. It literally took me longer to take off the tires than to change the pads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Picked up my 'new' S550 yesterday!!!