S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Picked up my 'new' S550 yesterday!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Picked up my 'new' S550 yesterday!!!

After quite a search I found my car this week and picked it up yesterday! Thanks for everyone's help on the car and options. Here are the specs:

2007 S550 CPO
31,xxx miles
Black Opal W/Savanna-Cashmere
P2
Distronic
Wood/heated steering wheel
Power rear side shades
AMG sport package

The car has to go back to have a few minor items replaced and to get a full detail (I was in a hurry and being the end of the month they were crazy).

First observations:

WOW, does this thing cruise. I mean seriously she glides with a confidence I haven't seen before. It is very quiet inside and the car is very tight. I will post an update when I get more time behind the wheel. It will take some time to get used to some of the differences from my 2010 E550, mostly the older tech, but I think I will be just fine.

A few questions I have been researching (since some topics seem very old I want to make sure the info is up to date).

1. Bluetooth- can I use the B67875878 (blue/silver) puck or is there a reason I should go with the B67876131 (black)? Seems the 78 is quite a bit cheaper used.
2. Ipod- what is the part number? Using an Iphone 3g is there an easy way to integrate bluetooth and ipod function?
3. Rear camera- looks like it casts some $$ to get it retrofitted. Is there an easy way to plug and play w/o trying to get the lines on the screen that might save some $$?
4. I need to update the nav/telematics. Is it one update or two different ones? I'm looking for the real time traffic (I now I also need a dvd ) and the ability to change presets from the steering wheel. If the telematics is a different update does any one have info on it- the dealer is looking at me with crossed eyes...

Again thanks for all of the help. I will post some pics when I can.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Congrats for finding the nice car. Midcityengineering might have a solution for the reversing camera. I was just wondering if they could make use of the telematics update problem, to make it an advantage. The point is that after the update Comand supports the MY2008 approach without any camera control unit. Comand itself draws fixed lines to the screen.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 s63 amg
Thumbs up

tell me about it.i had mines for two month by now and i love it .cong.enjoy it its going to bee a life time car
Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
You can use the 5878 puck, that's what I use in mine with the blackberry tour. Congrats we need pics.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 PM

S550
congrats buddy, enjoy it!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Congratulations
As the Europeans say: Have a rubber obstacles only (loose translation)!

PS.
My son (7) likes the pic of your daughter
Family BBQ in the summer?

Congrats again!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
Congrays on the new ride, post some pictures.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Congrats! Let's hope you have much less issues with your W221 vs your W212.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Congrats on your upgrade!!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by markopolo
Congratulations
As the Europeans say: Have a rubber obstacles only (loose translation)!

PS.
My son (7) likes the pic of your daughter
Family BBQ in the summer?

Congrats again!

Whoa, she is only 5, he is 7. I think we are going to have to have a full 3 years worth of audited financial statements (including ones dated in the last 90 days) and a full documented pedigree. Then in 30 or so years we can talk.
(But BBQ's are always welcome )
Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Congrats on your upgrade!!!!
Thank you, it really is an upgrade! I have sat in S550's in the dealer several times, but you really never appreciate them until a few hours behind the wheel. To say I am spoiled now is an understatement, in a way it is almost letdown- seriously- where do I go from her - Bentley? J/K I am now on my third MB and I will say there is nothing like driving one, this just sets the stage from here on for me....
Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 AM

s550 lorinser
CONGRATS!
black is NICE!
what was the damage?
and once you figure something out about the nav update, let me know.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Ugh I hate you Emliner, I'm eyeing an '07 S550 loaded to the brim, with AMG Sport Package, Silver, etc. right now. I just convinced myself that its been outweighed by my E (for my life, all things considered, etc.), but here I am again.....

It's funny how you get used to having a nice car, and you think it's the bee's knees until you drive the S-Class, and realize, everything you like about your (Luxury) car, the S-Class just does that much better.

Frankly, I'm so happy with what my E does, having something that goes even that extra length FURTHER is too irresistible.

Any tid-bits you can give in regards to how elements of it compare with your now gone E-Class, anything that really caught you off guard in regards to what one does better than the other?

Last edited by K-A; 01-31-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by emilner
Thank you, it really is an upgrade! I have sat in S550's in the dealer several times, but you really never appreciate them until a few hours behind the wheel. To say I am spoiled now is an understatement, in a way it is almost letdown- seriously- where do I go from her - Bentley? J/K I am now on my third MB and I will say there is nothing like driving one, this just sets the stage from here on for me....
The where do you go from here is real. A friend made me an offer on my car months ago which I have considered taking an downgrading to something more needs than wants based. Needless to say my Mercedes still sits in my garage. And as far as I am concerned the S is the pinnacle of the automotive world. So a Bentley would definitely be a downgrade. Enjoy and like KA I await the your impressions comparing it to both your E's mainly from a drive experience standpoint.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I will give an initial driving impression, but with less than 100 miles driven so far my opinion will surely evolve. I will compare it to my 211 e550 since the 212 was a step back for my driving tastes.

I found my 211 E550 to be nearly perfect for what I look for:
-It has impressive power always on reserve, I mean that car is FAST. Most people don't realize how quick it is, but when you can get a jump on a Carerra/Vette etc. at the light and beat him to 80 you know you are driving a fast car.
-The handling is very confidence inspiring. It is never jarring and holds the corners very well. I only wish sport two was firmer, almost jarring for when you really want it.
-Ride quality was solid, vault-like, and nearly perfectly balanced.
-Tranny shifting was awesome, when you beat on it, it is like the tranny is wired to your brain- holding gears etc. I only wish under full throttle the shifts were faster and there was no 1-1.5 second delay after you floor the pedal before you start rocking.
-Interior elegance. I loved the 211 interior (except for the center console), that was one very disappointing part of the 212.
-Exterior was boring but timeless. It did not break ground but was distinctive and never tiring.
-Controls were OK. Bluetooth/ipod should have been standard (as it was in my 212) and of better quality. The car had a few quirks that I needed to get used to, but non that I can remember that really killed me (wipers as typically on MB stunk, hvac was noisy etc).

Now for my initial impressions of my 221:
-The engine is obviously the same, but with more weight you lose that edge. The car is still very fast, but I find I WANT to drive slower in it.
-Handling seems solid but definitely large. I have not had enough time to really quantify how good it is yet, but I will say it obliterates the A8 I test drove (could be a combo of the handling and the underpowered engine in the '07 A8 I tested). I will put the car through the paces over the next month to really see how she does.
-The ride quality is like no experience I have ever had. I am talking about ocean liner smooth but confident. This car is a gentleman's thoroughbred. It delivers with grace and poise; it lets you know the road is there but it doesn't intrude. It doesn't wallow and bounce, it is always ready to take that corner with confidence. I am not a good enough writer to put to words how great this car rides!
-It is quiet, almost too quiet. I had a car beep at me from behind and I could barely perceive that there was a noise. I though my car was making it, it was so muffled.
-The tranny seems as my 211 was (again same tranny), but I have not had enough time to see the subtle differences.
-Braking effort seems a little high, I will have the dealer look at it.
-The exterior is stunning. I love the design, I would certainly prefer the headlights/rear changes off the 2010, but I will love my car just the same. The car calmly announces it's arrival. Your eyes just get glued to the design, the opulence, it does not mimic other vehicles or make apologies- it just says 'I'm a Mercedes Benz, I'm the S class' and you respect her for it.
-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It will be difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well though out. Storage is everywhere. There are hidden compartments I am still finding. The interior is also HUGE. I am 6'5" and weigh 260 (yes I know, I'm working on it) and I feel small in this car. I can move the seat so far back that I CAN'T REACH THE PEDALS!! I have to RAISE the seat. I have never in my life raised the seat in a vehicle, even all of my SUV's. The seats make layzboys seem like church pews (I can only imagine dynamic ones). The stereo is ok, it needs some low end (which I will help out). The climate control works w/o letting you know it is there. I will be updating the telematics so some of my tech gripes will go away.
-Reasonable gas mileage per the display. I have averaged 16 overall and was in the mid 23-24mpg range on the highway.
-Distronic- OMG. I have always thought it sounded like a cool feature but the sticker shock always kept me away. I will NEVER buy another can w/o it again. Period. It was scary the first time the car slowed by itself, actually REALLY scary, but as I got used to it it just proved to be a must have.

Some initial dislikes (all MINOR):
-Size. Man this thing is big! It is not all that shorter than my wife's ESV. But it is worth it.
-Stereo- needs more low end and a more focused soundstage. Changing presets is so ridiculous I can't believe MB sent the car out this way. Luckily a tele update will fix that. Not having BT or Ipod hookup standard is retarded in a car of this price.
-Wipers, as usual they make noise- on my punchlist with the brakes.
-Wow, I can't think of any others right now.

They say this car is an announcement that you have arrived, I would say this car makes you wish you don't arrive, that you get stuck in traffic, that the nav accidentally takes you to the Hamptons by the way of Miami-you just never want to leave the car. I hate getting somewhere now. Seriously. Getting out of the car is my least favorite part of the day.

I truly believe the S is not built by the same company that built my E, they are so world's apart. It is without a doubt worth the price of admission (at least for me by buying an '07 CPO)....
Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Ugh I hate you Emliner, I'm eyeing an '07 S550 loaded to the brim, with AMG Sport Package, Silver, etc. right now. I just convinced myself that its been outweighed by my E (for my life, all things considered, etc.), but here I am again.....

It's funny how you get used to having a nice car, and you think it's the bee's knees until you drive the S-Class, and realize, everything you like about your (Luxury) car, the S-Class just does that much better.

Frankly, I'm so happy with what my E does, having something that goes even that extra length FURTHER is too irresistible.

Any tid-bits you can give in regards to how elements of it compare with your now gone E-Class, anything that really caught you off guard in regards to what one does better than the other?
Don't kid yourself!
Go for it, "S" class that is
Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will give an initial driving impression, but with less than 100 miles driven so far my opinion will surely evolve. I will compare it to my 211 e550 since the 212 was a step back for my driving tastes.

-It has impressive power always on reserve, I mean that car is FAST. Most people don't realize how quick it is, but when you can get a jump on a Carerra/Vette etc. at the light and beat him to 80 you know you are driving a fast car.
-The handling is very confidence inspiring. It is never jarring and holds the corners very well. I only wish sport two was firmer, almost jarring for when you really want it.
-Tranny shifting was awesome, when you beat on it, it is like the tranny is wired to your brain- holding gears etc. I only wish under full throttle the shifts were faster and there was no 1-1.5 second delay after you floor the pedal before you start rocking.
-Interior elegance. I loved the 211 interior (except for the center console), that was one very disappointing part of the 212.
-Exterior was boring but timeless. It did not break ground but was distinctive and never tiring.
-Controls were OK. Bluetooth/ipod should have been standard (as it was in my 212) and of better quality. The car had a few quirks that I needed to get used to, but non that I can remember that really killed me (wipers as typically on MB stunk, hvac was noisy etc).

-The engine is obviously the same, but with more weight you lose that edge. The car is still very fast, but I find I WANT to drive slower in it.
-Handling seems solid but definitely large. I have not had enough time to really quantify how good it is yet, but I will say it obliterates the A8 I test drove (could be a combo of the handling and the underpowered engine in the '07 A8 I tested). I will put the car through the paces over the next month to really see how she does.
-The ride quality is like no experience I have ever had. I am talking about ocean liner smooth but confident. This car is a gentleman's thoroughbred. It delivers with grace and poise; it lets you know the road is there but it doesn't intrude. It doesn't wallow and bounce, it is always ready to take that corner with confidence. I am not a good enough writer to put to words how great this car rides!
-It is quiet, almost too quiet. I had a car beep at me from behind and I could barely perceive that there was a noise. I though my car was making it, it was so muffled.
-The tranny seems as my 211 was (again same tranny), but I have not had enough time to see the subtle differences.
-The exterior is stunning. I love the design, I would certainly prefer the headlights/rear changes off the 2010, but I will love my car just the same. The car calmly announces it's arrival. Your eyes just get glued to the design, the opulence, it does not mimic other vehicles or make apologies- it just says 'I'm a Mercedes Benz, I'm the S class' and you respect her for it.
-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It will be difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well though out. Storage is everywhere. There are hidden compartments I am still finding. The interior is also HUGE. I am 6'5" and weigh 260 (yes I know, I'm working on it) and I feel small in this car. I can move the seat so far back that I CAN'T REACH THE PEDALS!! I have to RAISE the seat. I have never in my life raised the seat in a vehicle, even all of my SUV's. The seats make layzboys seem like church pews (I can only imagine dynamic ones). The stereo is ok, it needs some low end (which I will help out). The climate control works w/o letting you know it is there. I will be updating the telematics so some of my tech gripes will go away.
-Reasonable gas mileage per the display. I have averaged 16 overall and was in the mid 23-24mpg range on the highway.
-Distronic- OMG. I have always thought it sounded like a cool feature but the sticker shock always kept me away. I will NEVER buy another can w/o it again. Period. It was scary the first time the car slowed by itself, actually REALLY scary, but as I got used to it it just proved to be a must have.

-Size. Man this thing is big! It is not all that shorter than my wife's ESV. But it is worth it.
-Stereo- needs more low end and a more focused soundstage. Changing presets is so ridiculous I can't believe MB sent the car out this way. Luckily a tele update will fix that. Not having BT or Ipod hookup standard is retarded in a car of this price.

They say this car is an announcement that you have arrived, I would say this car makes you wish you don't arrive, that you get stuck in traffic, that the nav accidentally takes you to the Hamptons by the way of Miami-you just never want to leave the car. I hate getting somewhere now. Seriously. Getting out of the car is my least favorite part of the day.

I truly believe the S is not built by the same company that built my E, they are so world's apart. It is without a doubt worth the price of admission (at least for me by buying an '07 CPO)....
Very nice write-up.
More subtle, better thing to come.
Agree with stereo observation, to me, simply put, garbage. The weakest point of the car.
The previous (220) Bose system was better, although not that much.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whoa, she is only 5, he is 7. I think we are going to have to have a full 3 years worth of audited financial statements (including ones dated in the last 90 days) and a full documented pedigree. Then in 30 or so years we can talk.
(But BBQ's are always welcome )
Agreed, pm to follow
Old 01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Thank you sir for taking the time to share your impressions with us wannabes

-The car calmly announces it's arrival. Your eyes just get glued to the design, the opulence, it does not mimic other vehicles or make apologies- it just says 'I'm a Mercedes Benz, I'm the S class' and you respect her for it.
-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It will be difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well though out. .....
The seats make layzboys seem like church pews (I can only imagine dynamic ones).
My definition of the perfect car.

Why I might not ever own the perfect car. Being barely 5' 10 and 140 lb soaking wet there seems like something wrong being carted around in that much car. Maybe they will import a SWB some day.

Then again.....

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Congratulations!

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Are you planning any mods?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Planning any? Yes. Will they all come to fruition? Who knows. I will post some pics next week after the car is detailed. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Wow, amazing write up. You certainly know what you're talking about. I agree with you about the interior elegance of the W211 VS W212, appreciating the formers approach. Also about the styling comments of the 211.

About the 221, from the drives I've taken in them, my views are spot on with yours. As much as I love the 211's interior, the S really takes those extra steps to remind you with every little detail, that they put attention there, and that it's the "S". I found the 211 to have a nicer interior IMO to my old W220, so it's nice to see them step it up with the W221. My only real complaint with the 221's interior is the overly sparse center area (under the A/C, etc.) That huge monotone-colored (I guess it's the same "vinyl" material as on the dash) compartment is a turn off, also the lower compartment (where the gear shifter would be) is as well IMO, which was fixed with the face-lift as they covered it in wood. Either way, small beans when put in the big picture.

The drive is so serene in that thing as well. And the new Distronic is AMAZING, very cool you have that. My W220 had ALL Options, and honestly, although I still find reasons to just go out and drive in my 211, driving the 220 was like having a staff of workers doing everything for you.

I Test-Drove a 221 with my buddy who was in the market for a second car (I was the one looking at the 221) for his Nissan GTR, we both loved the 221, but we both thought that it felt like we needed someone in the back to drive around, it's just such a serene cruiser, it almost gives that "Limo" vibe.

Congrats again, post some pics when you can.

Originally Posted by markopolo
Don't kid yourself!
Go for it, "S" class that is
Haha, I know, it's a constant back and forth struggle. By the time I make that decision the W222 will be out!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 AM

S550
Congrats on the purchase. I too am looking for one and i was wondering how much you paid and/or how much i should pay for one almost fully equipped. I have always loved the white with pano roof color combination. 4 matic is a must living in NY and sports package. How much should i pay??!?!?!?!?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM

S550
Originally Posted by K-A

whats the price range for one fully loaded like that. IM trying to buy one
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Seems they vary. Since M-B kept the AMG Package on these cars as exclusives, and high cost Options, they do command quite a bit more in the Used market (most new M-B's like the new E, and C, are coming out with AMG Packages as Standard basically, which is diluting the desirability of them IMO).

I can't speak on how much other Options command, as I haven't payed much attention, but I can say that around here, an '07 S550 with AMG Package can be found with a CPO, and pretty high mileage (55-65K) for low-mid $40's, and same Package, with lower miles (30-ishK) are still sitting in the $50's, although seems they're coming into the $40's as well too in some cases.

Take off CPO and the AMG Package and obviously they become more of a "bargain".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Picked up my 'new' S550 yesterday!!!