S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New US S-Class - Adios 550 and 600, Hello Hybrids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by skrontz
People don't buy the 7 Series just because it has a little more horsepower. It's silly to assume that throwing a new (and largely untested by regular drivers) engine into an S550 would suddenly make all the 7 Series owners trade in their rides. These are two different cars for two different categories of people.
+1
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skrontz
People don't buy the 7 Series just because it has a little more horsepower. It's silly to assume that throwing a new (and largely untested by regular drivers) engine into an S550 would suddenly make all the 7 Series owners trade in their rides. These are two different cars for two different categories of people.
What I am saying is, MB won't attract too many "guinea pig" buyers to no-choice hybrid S classes. They won't attract buyers at all, most of those people will go off and buy gasoline powered 7 series. Very few people are going to spend $90K to be a guinea pig.

This segment is not for hybrids or electrics, the automakers can use those technologies in other platform to get their fleet MPGs up. In the S segment, they simply have to use technology to make the most fuel efficient engines that they can, and use composites to take as much weight off the car as possible.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Honestly, fast forward 4 years and I'm sure you'll all be on here praising the hell out of your new S "Hybrids".

I wouldn't panic just yet. I'm sure Daimler will have these Hybrids outperforming, breathing out more HP, and WAY out MPG'ing the current V8's. Who wouldn't want that?

Where the problems will lie, is those who are "anti-anything-tree-hugging" will have to cope with the fact that they are now "Hybrid Owners", and the big one for me personally, you don't get that glorious V8 sound and feel, so the "soul" factor might be missed by some V8/V12 aficionados. Of course, this is considering it'll be a V6 Hybrid, and even if not, you'll have to get to some higher speeds to get the Gas Motor to kick in.

I'm extremely critical and disappointed in a lot of things modern M-B are doing, but this one isn't really their fault, as it's the new laws coming into play on them, and at the same time, I never doubt their Engineering, they'll have something that will impress in this department.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Honestly, fast forward 4 years and I'm sure you'll all be on here praising the hell out of your new S "Hybrids".

I wouldn't panic just yet. I'm sure Daimler will have these Hybrids outperforming, breathing out more HP, and WAY out MPG'ing the current V8's. Who wouldn't want that?

Where the problems will lie, is those who are "anti-anything-tree-hugging" will have to cope with the fact that they are now "Hybrid Owners", and the big one for me personally, you don't get that glorious V8 sound and feel, so the "soul" factor might be missed by some V8/V12 aficionados. Of course, this is considering it'll be a V6 Hybrid, and even if not, you'll have to get to some higher speeds to get the Gas Motor to kick in.

I'm extremely critical and disappointed in a lot of things modern M-B are doing, but this one isn't really their fault, as it's the new laws coming into play on them, and at the same time, I never doubt their Engineering, they'll have something that will impress in this department.
Not me, I'll buy pre-owned cars for the rest of my life if I have to.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A

KA - well said. It will likely be a very different world in 3-4 years once the new laws take affect and all of the competitors are also reacting with some type of fuel saving technology. I would also assume the new hybrids from MB will only add to what makes an S-Class such an impressive car. I can't imagine they would do anything to risk their position as the clear leader in the segment. Time will tell but I am optimistic regarding the plan for MB. They have done something right to be in the position they are in currently so I do not expect this to change.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Moving to all-hybrid may be the wise move long-term, but they will definitely take a short-term hit due to the mentality that changes much slower than the technology. I would be all happy if the resale value of the good old all-gas models goes up ;-)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Agreed ^^.

I think those who will own the "older" Gas S's will have some pride in that, yet at the same time, I feel with the (probably) large MPG improvement in the new one, might have people weary of the older "Gas Hogs", as they might come to be known, which might actually effect Resale negatively.

Either way, if you own an S550, it's a win win, either you'll be driving a sought after "instant classic" per-se, or you can benefit from the large depreciation of the non-Hybrid Tech Models by picking up a Used S65 for dirt cheap.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Originally Posted by K-A
I feel with the (probably) large MPG improvement in the new one, might have people weary of the older "Gas Hogs", as they might come to be known, which might actually effect Resale negatively.
US S-Class buyers rarely concern themselves with the MPG, but they're all about the "manly" gas engine. Driving a gas guzzler is more of a status statement, silly as it sounds. I think the resale values are safe until at least a few years after the hybrids are out by which time an S65 will be pretty cheap as is ;-)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB will have to learn the hard way - Americans who claim to be "environmentally sensitive" do so only as lip service - because it sounds good to the pollster asking them. When it comes to spending their own money on it, very few want to spend a dime. Every car maker except Toyota loses money on their hybrids.

MB had best get going making a fuel efficient biturbo DFI 6, and take a few hundred pounds of weight out of this car.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by silberrosa
I would also assume the new hybrids from MB will only add to what makes an S-Class such an impressive car. I can't imagine they would do anything to risk their position as the clear leader in the segment. Time will tell but I am optimistic regarding the plan for MB. They have done something right to be in the position they are in currently so I do not expect this to change.
Ever heard of a car called the S400? Total bomb...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilner
Ever heard of a car called the S400? Total bomb...
Sorry for my ignorance here, but...
what is S400? Never seen one.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
The current S class hybrid. It gets marginally better fuel economy than an S550 in real world driving. It is also slower than an H2 towing a trailer, uphill....

They can't give them away at my dealer. He literally begged me to buy the one off the floor. He had it for four months and offered it to me for $5000 under invoice.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilner
The current S class hybrid. It gets marginally better fuel economy than an S550 in real world driving. It is also slower than an H2 towing a trailer, uphill....

They can't give them away at my dealer. He literally begged me to buy the one off the floor. He had it for four months and offered it to me for $5000 under invoice.
Thank you!
Your explanation enhances my utter dissatisfaction with ...errr...hybrid nomenclature.
My wife started to use it lately and ....what can I say, she is on the street
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 AM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by markopolo
Sorry for my ignorance here, but...
what is S400? Never seen one.
Best place to spot one is at an MB dealership. I've never seen one on the road. I marked the tires with a piece of chalk to see if it is moved by my next visit
Old 04-11-2010, 06:34 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

If M-B needs help clearing out S400's I will GLADLY take one.