S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

w221 Headlight/City Light Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' Cl550 / 01' S430 / 12' Range Rover Supercharged
Originally Posted by MBenz07
Thanks for all who posted to this thread. I had driver side headlight begin flickering and read here that I needed new bulb. Didn't want to give dealer any more of my money, so ordered D1S on ebay and removed front tires. removed wheel liners and changed the bulbs with no problems. I upgraded to the 6000k and my lights are so bright and clear now. No more flickering and doing it myself impressed the wifey.
Is there a specific brand you used because my lights are getting dim and want a brighter light and possibly more white or blue than the current OEM
Old 03-24-2022, 09:20 AM

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
This is an old post, but hoping to revive it. What about all the warnings about electrocuting yourself w/ the high voltage Xenon lights? I get it that I can remove the wheels and access through the fender liner, but how worried should I be about getting shocked? I presume all those warnings are there for a reason. Just disconnect the battery, but is there a capacitor still holding a charge?
Old 03-29-2022, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
10 CL550, 10 S550, 10 ROVER, 02 ROVER, 88 928s4, 88 560SEC
As long as someone else has revived this topic, figured I'd put my two cents of experience in. On my 2007 S550 I've had no problems changing the bulbs by either moving out of the way the windshield washer or coolant tanks... Pretty simple, just have to be careful with the pump connections at the windshield wiper reservoir, if you look on YouTube you'll find a pretty good video. I've also removed the wheel well cover for other jobs and have seen pretty good access to the bulbs there as well, I guess it depends on your preference of which way you want to attack.
But here's where there may be a possible addition to all of these instructions. I no longer have the 2007 but I do have a 2010 S550 and a 2010 CL550, virtually the same engine compartment and access. Haven't changed any bulbs on the 2010 S550 yet, but when I went to change the bulbs on the CL550, first I removed the reservoirs and was able to gain access to the bulbs and unclip them relatively easily and quickly, but then spent 45 minutes ripping up my fingers trying to remove them which was absolutely impossible, they would wiggle out 1/4 inch or so but that was it. I even removed the wheel well covers and tried from that angle but still no luck... was driving myself and my mechanic friend crazy as I was doing it at his shop. Then finally a light bulb went off in my head, no pun intended, that I had read somewhere if you had a certain option where the headlights moved with the steering wheel, I believe its called adaptive headlights, you had to put them in some sort of changing position via a computer. Sure enough we attached my buddies computer to the car and there was an option to move the light bulbs into changing position. Once done, the exchange took all of 15 or 20 seconds. What a huge waste of time and blood, but hopefully a learning experience for someone out there.
I do not know if my S550 would require me to do this, or even if it has this option, but maybe someone else with a little more knowledge or experience can chime in. Believe it or not, couldn't find anything regarding this subject anywhere on this site, at least in the S550 and CL550 forums. Have no idea where I originally read about it. Guess I should be posting this in the CL550 forum as well
The following 2 users liked this post by asat:
nath_h (03-30-2022), The French Guy (08-22-2023)