S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Questions: Paint/Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Question Questions: Paint/Paint Jobs

I was considering repainting my car to diamond white from iridium silver.
A few questions:

[1] Will it look like factory paint?

[2] How much will it cost?

[3] Will it fix imperfections(e.g chipped piece on hood from driving on freeway)?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Hi, you want to invest a lot of money into your '07. Why don't you save up and buy lets say S65 later more suitable to your demands?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 PM

S550
In Cambodia car tax is almost 70% of the car's actual price. There is no leasing or paying monthly. So when you plan to purchase a car its all cash upfront. My S Class costed 190k just for a S550. This is pretty ridiculous to pay or save up for lol. S65 will eat too much gas here because most of the time you're only going 30-40MPH.

I was planning to retouch everything and resell it.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
I would't repaint your Mercedes. Wait to buy another one of the color you want. A repainting is quite detectible by Mercedes dealers and this would lessen the resale value considerably. Plus people would think its
been in an accident.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Nira_Lim
In Cambodia car tax is almost 70% of the car's actual price. There is no leasing or paying monthly. So when you plan to purchase a car its all cash upfront. My S Class costed 190k just for a S550. This is pretty ridiculous to pay or save up for lol. S65 will eat too much gas here because most of the time you're only going 30-40MPH.

I was planning to retouch everything and resell it.
I see your point. I would think about doing it then.. one factor to consider is the current quality of the paint and another would be if it actually raises the price or exclusivity / liquidity.
It is possible to do a complete repaint and it would look like brand new factory paint. I think the price could be around 100EUR per car part.. not sure about it though as I have never done it myself.
But a friend of mine has an E-Class originally black, now silver - car was completely dismantled and put together and the job is fantastic.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I think your question is difficult for the rest of us to answer. Here in the states a color changed car will have no resale value. There are plenty of good unpainted cars to buy and to go to a "repaired" vehicle degrades the resale, much less a color change.

The hard part is not the body panels. It is the engine compartment, hinges, door jambs and all the hidden parts that need to be painted. Then it is the worrying of paint chips resulting in a view of the original color. Around here a total color change on an S550 would cost north of $10k approaching $20k for a good solid job...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 PM

S550
Originally Posted by emilner
I think your question is difficult for the rest of us to answer. Here in the states a color changed car will have no resale value. There are plenty of good unpainted cars to buy and to go to a "repaired" vehicle degrades the resale, much less a color change.

The hard part is not the body panels. It is the engine compartment, hinges, door jambs and all the hidden parts that need to be painted. Then it is the worrying of paint chips resulting in a view of the original color. Around here a total color change on an S550 would cost north of $10k approaching $20k for a good solid job...
Thanks.

I would rather save 20k for the new S. Probably will sell this one for as much as I can get it.