S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2010 US S550 COMAND Video In

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 US S550 COMAND Video In

Another video question:

How do I get video into my COMAND? Do I need a special harness with RCA jacks (MB or aftermarket) or is it built into the 1/8" jack dongle already in the glovebox (so that I can just use an adapter)?

I intend to buy VIM from Mid City but I first want to check if my video source will work when parked.

If I need a harness, where can I buy it? Part number?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:28 AM

2009 GL550 650/201
Originally Posted by epasc
Another video question:

How do I get video into my COMAND? Do I need a special harness with RCA jacks (MB or aftermarket) or is it built into the 1/8" jack dongle already in the glovebox (so that I can just use an adapter)?

I intend to buy VIM from Mid City but I first want to check if my video source will work when parked.

If I need a harness, where can I buy it? Part number?

Thanks.
Check your datacard to find out if your vehicle has equipped with code 518(media interface in glove box),i think it might be a standard equipment in US market.
If you do have code 518, then you can buy a media interface cable to realize video input.
Parts number:A001 827 8004
See attached file for more details
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Video cable.pdf (177.2 KB, 556 views)
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S550, 08 Escalade, 08 H2
I don't have 518 on my 2007 S550. by the way how did you have access to the accessory catalog?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by a3po911
Check your datacard to find out if your vehicle has equipped with code 518(media interface in glove box),i think it might be a standard equipment in US market.
If you do have code 518, then you can buy a media interface cable to realize video input.
Parts number:A001 827 8004
See attached file for more details
Thanks!

So I'm guessing that the 1/8" dongle that's already there is the media interface and that it carries four conductors, one of which is video. I'll give it a go.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM

I do have 518 on my car.

I priced that part at my dealer and it's $71!

This is silly, but not prohibitive. Is there an aftermarket alternative? Seems like any camcorder harness would do the same thing. Of course I tried this.

Unfortunately "AUX Video" was greyed and so I couldn't come to any conclusions.

Does anyone know why AUX Video should be greyed out on my COMAND?

EDIT:

Figured this out myself - I detached my iPod and the AUX Video option was available. Used my camcorder harness and it didn't work - it was wired differently from the MB adapter, but clearly showed that video was available in that 1/8" jack. I got garbled video on the screen. I'll buy the MB part, which is apparently scarce in the US, and the Mid-City VIM.

My goal with all of this is to be able to use my iPhone TomTom nav software (which is the only nav that really knows traffic in LA) on my COMAND screen using the iPod video cable. My phone is jailbroken and I've installed an app that mirrors the screen video out of the video out port, allowing the map to display on the COMAND (and voice prompts to be heard over the car speakers). One major shortcoming of this is that the AUX Video in seems to be restricted to 4:3 aspect ratio, so the maps will be "squeezed" on the screen. Another is that while navigating, entertainment is limited to iPhone audio (which isn't so bad - Pandora radio is pretty cool!)

If anyone knows a way to stretch the AUX Video in to 16:9 to fill the whole screen, let me know.

Last edited by epasc; 08-11-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: figured it out myself
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Two more things discovered:

You can adjust Aux Video to fill 16:9. It's in the COMAND menu. You can also switch between PAL and NTSC. Genius.

And the expensive Mercedes part that provides video in can be substituted with an Apple iBook video/audio output cable ($19). The pinouts are the same. Only the gender of the RCA connectors is opposite (male on the Apple cable).

Sony camcorder breakout cables do not work on the Media Interface. Pinout is wrong.

I am very close to using my iPhone Nav on my COMAND screen. It works perfectly when parked. Waiting on the Mid-City VIM module and it should be done.