S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2008 S550 vs. 2010 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
2008 S550 vs. 2010 S550

I am considering a 2010 Mercedes S class to replace mine, however none of my dealers have any cars with the options I have on my car (listed below), so I think I will keep my S class for a while longer.

Just in curiosity, would you upgrade your 2008 S class that was basically loaded for a new S class with P2 and Sport Package?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
With the S550 you currently have, I would try and at least get one with the same options. An S550 with ABC will drive quite a bit differently compared to one without. I wouldn't personally want to give that up for Airmatic.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
The next S is likely to be MY2012-2014 which is too close in my mind to be purchasing/leasing a S now, when you already have one.

Differences are minor right now. And if you are not getting the assistance package and split view you will be missing out on most.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
With the new engine coming next year I would hold off...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Barolo S550, 2010 E, 1966 SL & others.
Capri blue & cashmere is pretty rare around here. Great combo.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I am almost in the same position searching for an S550 from 2007 or 2008 differences are 10 to 13 thousand $ plus 10 to 30 thousand miles!!! Am not sure about it right know?..
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by MichaelB.
Capri blue & cashmere is pretty rare around here. Great combo.
I have that combo on my E. Looks awesome and I get compliments all the time. Never seen an S with those colors so far.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM

1998 E320, 2010 E350 P1, 2010 S550 P2
Moving up from a 2007 to a 2010 (end of lease plus lower payments, why not!) here are the differences I have seen. Both cars are Luxury + P2.

What the salesperson said about the 2010 that was different other than visually was:
-slightly adjusted transmission
-brakes altered so there is less squeaking (everyday with the 2007 backing up the car for the first time of the day would be a loud squeak that would make our car seem broken down!)

But what I have seen personally in differences (other than the main design changes that you can easily see) are:
Shape- the 2010 model is more square, less curved. You'll find this in the bumpers as well as the mirror which is now rectangle shaped. The back of the car has exhaust pipes showing and the side of the back bumper now has a chrome strip in the middle for a interesting touch.
Inside:
-Window buttons have changed to something similar in the E Class where your hands can go in and out.
-The center console is now all wood instead of leather, and the PCMCIA slot has been switched for a SD card slot.
-Center console storage is cheapened. There is now only one compartment instead of two, and the one compartment has a flimsy divider that splits the compartment vertically into 2, not horizontally.
-Trunk: The umbrella holder has been removed.
-Other than the fact that the steering wheel has changed, the buttons near the display have also changed depending on options, some have more, some have less.
-The COMAND wheel is more firm and the edges are not as beveled. Maybe it's because it's new but I felt something different.

And oh, the tire pressure #'s have changed too on the filler cap.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Thanks for the info. The problem is that the dealer has a car with all the options I have but without premium leather, rear seat package, or Rear Window Sunblinds. I am still contemplating my decision. :/
Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Yep, dealer inventory isn't very good right now. My salesperson said it's mainly because Mercedes likes people to special order their S Class now, he just showed us the different standard color schemes which were just the three grey/silver colors, white, and black! No red, green, blue, or other colors in the lot at all.

I'd wait for the next year model if you don't want a "downgrade" but there isn't much difference other than COMAND, mine already has the 3D. But deals right now are a steal...mine is 300 dollars cheaper a month for lease!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 PM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Originally Posted by speedingclass
and the side of the back bumper now has a chrome strip in the middle for a interesting touch.
Not just that, but there's also a chrome strip around the front bumper as well. It goes beautifully with the side and the rear bumper strips, truly completing the look. That's yet another reason why the "sport" package was a no-go for me, since it takes the chrome off the front and rear bumper and adds the plastic Yaris-like (no offense, proud Toyota owners) look instead; the criss-crossed side skirts are something that never was to my taste either.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by speedingclass
from a 2007 to a 2010 here are the differences I have seen. Both cars are Luxury + P2.

...Shape- the 2010 model is more square, less curved. You'll find this in the bumpers as well as the mirror which is now rectangle shaped. The back of the car has exhaust pipes showing and the side of the back bumper now has a chrome strip in the middle for a interesting touch.
Inside:
-Window buttons have changed to something similar in the E Class where your hands can go in and out.
-The center console is now all wood instead of leather, and the PCMCIA slot has been switched for a SD card slot.
-Center console storage is cheapened. There is now only one compartment instead of two, and the one compartment has a flimsy divider that splits the compartment vertically into 2, not horizontally.
-Other than the fact that the steering wheel has changed, the buttons near the display have also changed depending on options, some have more, some have less.
-The COMAND wheel is more firm and the edges are not as beveled. Maybe it's because it's new but I felt something different.

And oh, the tire pressure #'s have changed too on the filler cap.
Thank you. Looks like MB got it right with the earlier versions. I cant imagine why they downgraded some of the features (other than a profit motive).
Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelB.
Thank you. Looks like MB got it right with the earlier versions. I cant imagine why they downgraded some of the features (other than a profit motive).
Where's the downgrade? From what I can tell, everything is way better than in the previous model years (I checked every year since 2007).

The comment about the central storage is very unclear. I have the rear climate control option, so this is what eats up the space underneath the center console. The drawer itself is just fine and not "cheapened" in any way; nothing "flimsy" about it whatsoever. Very sturdy and well made.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

2007 S550
the camera based technology ... lane keep, drowsiness detect, reading out the speed limit on the instrument panel are upgrades.

same with night view that has pedestrian detection now which makes it more usable.

split-view is a great upgrade .. for the passenger.

None of that makes me want to get a newer S.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
Originally Posted by eugene22n
the camera based technology ... lane keep, drowsiness detect, reading out the speed limit on the instrument panel are upgrades.

same with night view that has pedestrian detection now which makes it more usable.

split-view is a great upgrade .. for the passenger.

None of that makes me want to get a newer S.
Like your actitud and your opinion !!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by skrontz
Where's the downgrade? .
Shape- the 2010 model is more square, less curved. You'll find this in the bumpers as well as the mirror which is now rectangle shaped.

This to me is giant. The earlier S-Class is gorgeous, and I literally marveled at my small artfully designed mirrors for a day when I first bought the car. I was then puzzled when I bought my wife a 2010 E-Class and they had such large block style misshapen mirrors. Additionally I for one am not a fan of fads like front LED daytime drive lights, and I also admire the original 221 taillights over the newer versions. So... Subjectively - Downgrade.

Inside:

E-Class 'eh? Sorry Skrontz. Downgrade.

The look of stitched leather is to me much more subtle. I look at MBUSA.com and bring up the all wood console photo and feel that it looks like a Cadillac move. Personal preference perhaps, but - downgrade.

Sounds as if this is another E-Class item. Perhaps downgrade?

Downgrade. Admittedly I use my umbrella holder for a large wooden night stick... But I would miss it if it were gone.

Undecided.

Fine, but I adore my early knob!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 AM

2007 S550
those big mirrors are a part of the whole pedestrian safety standards in the EU perhaps? Don't like them.

What Mercedes gets right is that the S only shares things with the CL and not the E and C. 7-series shares a bunch with the 3's and 5's as does the A8 with 4's and 6's. Now if MB thinks it's good to go parts bin with the mirror switches and exterior mirrors that's a step in the wrong direction.

And yes Mercedes is playing follow the "leader" with Audi's LED everything. I think LED "light bars" are cooler.

More things the new S's have ... the multi color ambient lighting is cool though I would just stick to the color I have in the 07 anyways. The corner illuminating lamps are actual lights that turns as opposed to the lamps that the 07's have which just light up at each corner and are only useful up to 25 mph (or is the kph).

Once MB adds this "magic" suspension and glass along with the new engine perhaps it will be worth it to get a newer S but by then surely the next generation will be around the corner.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM

There are some highly questionable and subjective points listed within the quoted post above.

I completely disagree with the "more square, less curved" description. The body is mostly same, but looks fresher. I wasn't big on the mirrors at first either, but now I appreciate the additional real estate as well as the look.

I absolutely love the new headlamps and the DRLs, so this seems to be a difference in taste. I see the LEDs as an upgrade, and I keep getting compliments on the look of those. I would never ever trade the new lights for the old style, but it's just me.

The window buttons look and feel just fine. If the E Class owners share the same great controls, I am nothing but happy for them. You don't have to upgrade to S Class to get the good window up/down buttons. Furthermore, I'm not sure they were really different on 2007 E/S Classe cars to begin with.

Unless you have the Designo interior, the center console was never leather. I like the wood insert much more. While this is subjective, it would be considered an upgrade by most buyers.

My center console is just fine. There's only one compartment (due to the rear climate control unit) and no divider. It's lined and neat.

The umbrella holder could be considered a downgrade, I agree; not sure what the reason for it was as I doubt it provided much cost savings.

There are tons of other smaller ergonomic upgrades and improvements, not to mention the Hold feature discussed in the different topic. I agree that it's more evolutionary than evolutionary, and an upgrade to 2010 may not be financially justified if you have an earlier MY, but these are upgrades nonetheless.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Ok, some clarification on my older statements:
-The window buttons are in the same style of the E Class as where the finger goes in...not flat as how it used to be. However it still has the silver border like how it did before and is still shiny. It still feels fine yes, it's just another example of continuity between products, kind of how like the 1998 E has the same window buttons like the 2002 S Classes for example before they were refreshed.
-Center console used to be the leather look, but not leather. Probably plastic of sort.

Some new thoughts:
-The wood is darker noticeably. But that was the same case with my 2010 E. Seems like MB is picking a darker burl walnut these days, the color is more dark when not in the sun, but when in the sun the wood looks like it did before. (should have said this earlier, I noticed it right away when I switched vehicles)
-COMAND is a breeze in the audio section now that you can use the keypad to pick radio stations and input radio stations by number like in the rest of the MB's. Before it was knob only with set numbers available, but the keypad could not be used. I dislike though that the knob when being used for tuning/changing channels goes slower than before, but at least it isn't as slow as the E when using the knob to tune...that is very slow...
-Ride quality has suffered...it is noticeably louder on the freeway, almost veering to E-Class loud. Before it was quite silent. I'm assuming this comes with the change of the wheels vs. 2007, as MB seems to be on Michelin and not Continental. My 2010 E also has Michelin but in that case the ride improved since our 2008 in the past was a Sports edition. Probably not the glass, as it is still double paned.
-Also there is no mini compartment below the front seats. It was a very convenient feature (also seen in past generation S), so I don't really get why it was removed. The current E Class still has the compartment though.
-Leather just doesn't feel that soft compared to 2007. Starting to feel like MB Tex to me. Maybe it's just because the 2007 leather got worn in over time (maybe too much), but the 2007 definitely started off softer. Additionally, the seats as of current feel harder in the backseat, the foam is probably still new. (this wasn't the case with our 2007 as we preordered it)
-There is also a new ambient light in the back seat. It looks really cheap as it is a plastic square on top, but at night it glows. It only lights in yellow though, no changing to white or blue.
-Disliking the new GPS speaker. I hope this is customizable (please tell me yes), but the person who is talking sounds like they are tired! I like the 2007 edition better. Also I prefer that the E Class POI system allows you to pick Zagat restaurants only, whereas in the S Class you just scroll and scroll. But the plus vs the E is that you can adjust the NAV and program it while driving- but the 2007 doesn't have that problem either.
-Pairing phones through bluetooth is definitely easier compared to before. Although sometimes you have to repeat the process again as it malfunctions during the first time pairing. After that, no problems.
-The black fuzzy material that they use to line the glovebox doesn't fall off like it does on the 2010 E Class. This is good, but the previous S Class didn't have that problem either.

I'm finding the S Class slightly worse compared to before, but I am saving hundreds every month on lease payments thanks to the current program, plus I don't have to listen to the brakes squealing every morning anymore. That is a definite plus. But there's definitely a newness to the 2010 model as of right now...the 2007 didn't wear very well compared to S classes 10 years ago. I'm finding the new refresh more on electronics and style, less on quality. But for the most part quality is quite similar.

But I didn't get a free CD case like I did with my 2007 one, plus the 2007 owner's manual came in a nice zipped leather cover vs the 2010 MB tex (feels like it) flip flap cover.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 AM

Do you know how long your car sat on the dealer's lot? You may want to check the tires for flat spots and apply some conditioner to the leather. My S550 is definitely quieter than my friend's MY2007 S550 and the leather was (and still is) very soft and smooth. Can't really comment on the COMAND voice, since I'm quite happy with its pronunciation; could be a matter of individual preference.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by skrontz
Do you know how long your car sat on the dealer's lot? You may want to check the tires for flat spots and apply some conditioner to the leather. My S550 is definitely quieter than my friend's MY2007 S550 and the leather was (and still is) very soft and smooth. Can't really comment on the COMAND voice, since I'm quite happy with its pronunciation; could be a matter of individual preference.
Well, it was a April build date and my dealer assistant sales manager moved it from Encino to us since there was none available in existing inventory (so 3 months?). I'll be getting it checked out soon to see if there are any fixes plus I want to activate Splitview.

But when I saw their S400 the leather felt the same, but with that car it's been sitting over the whole year and no one has bought it, probably because the "4" isn't very well thought in superstition for the dealer's main clientele.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Interesting stuff.

If one pays attention to M-B's newest offerings/face-lifts/etc., they will notice improvements, and noticeable decontentings. Obviously, cash is tight these days, and they ARE finding small ways to show that.

In a perfect world, newer would = better in EVERY way, unfortunately (or fortunately, if you don't want to have every reason to get every new iteration), that isn't always the case in the real world.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting stuff.

If one pays attention to M-B's newest offerings/face-lifts/etc., they will notice improvements, and noticeable decontentings. Obviously, cash is tight these days, and they ARE finding small ways to show that.

In a perfect world, newer would = better in EVERY way, unfortunately (or fortunately, if you don't want to have every reason to get every new iteration), that isn't always the case in the real world.
Definitely agree with you K-A. Everything new has a positive and negative!

And another additional thing. Shift paddles have changed too, before they used to be a tiny button behind the steering wheel but now it is the larger ones like seen also in the E Class. Easier for shifting!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM

scared of being stalked
to me, as of todays date, 08 s550> '10 s550

not for any reasons outside of financial reason.

i am currently contemplating on buying an 08 s550 pano p2 rear comfort seats night vision sport pkg etc with 18k miles, with 100k miles benz protection for about 65k$.

a new 2010 is about 105k$ plus tax and tags.

the way i think is 08 s550+ 40k$ with my still > '10 s550.

if one is to buy a 08 today and do the normal five year finance, that would put one in the position to buy say a 2012 s550 with the brand new engines CPOed in 2014 or 2015 for about the same price he bought his 08.

an 08 s550 was 100k+ just two years ago, now they can be had for 65k$. i , for one, can not afford to eat 40k in two years in such a silly fashion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM

pick up
Man If I were you I will not get a similar model man. try different...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 S550 vs. 2010 S550