S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

How can I get rid of that Oder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
A happy ending!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:17 PM

1990 300 se
Aehna ahuan w banei am.

Salam

Shalom

Peace
Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by MB of Arabia
I don't think that Prejudice and Mockery are welcome or even tolerated in this Forum.

I think it was a joke; lighten up huh?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by boem
Aehna ahuan w banei am.

Salam

Shalom

Peace
Salam
Shalom
Peace
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by emilner
I had a sour smell when I first got my car also. It went away after I changed the cabin air filters. They were FILTHY!! I picked mine up on ebay for $45 shipped for a German made MB equivalent. Changing them takes 5 minutes, they are located under the passenger side dash...
I tried unscrewing the panel under the passenger dash, only to find nothing. Can you tell me were exactly I can find them?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
After unscrewing the dash underpanel you need to drop the cover that holds in the filters.

First step, move the passenger seat all the way back and down to make room. Look under the dash with the black panel removed (should have a dome light attached to the panel) and you should see a black box. Place a plastic bag or some other covering on the floor to collect the crap that will fall out.

You will see a black plastic box with two sliding clips made of matching black plastic. They move side to side (passenger to driver or vise versa). They stick a little, slide them with a little force over until they are done. Pull on the cover downwards and it should drop down.

Look up, you should see 2 filter ends about 20 degrees apart from each other. Pull them down, clean all the crap out and reinstall the reverse of install...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Here is sa good website for getting rid of bad odores

http://www.ehow.com/how_2073997_get-...r-ac-odor.html
Old 10-16-2010, 01:46 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by emilner
After unscrewing the dash underpanel you need to drop the cover that holds in the filters.

First step, move the passenger seat all the way back and down to make room. Look under the dash with the black panel removed (should have a dome light attached to the panel) and you should see a black box. Place a plastic bag or some other covering on the floor to collect the crap that will fall out.

You will see a black plastic box with two sliding clips made of matching black plastic. They move side to side (passenger to driver or vise versa). They stick a little, slide them with a little force over until they are done. Pull on the cover downwards and it should drop down.

Look up, you should see 2 filter ends about 20 degrees apart from each other. Pull them down, clean all the crap out and reinstall the reverse of install...
Thank you very much for the elaboration, I appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
I opened it and took the filters out, only to find that they were in very good condition and very clean and havery little odor to them.....???

Is there any other place I can look for that could be the source of the odor? It smells like an old damp log and some kind of a chemical sent with it, it has an annoying affect and a bit choaking at first then when you discise it with freshener it kind of goes away, or I think you get used to it....
Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 AM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
And I was going to make a crack about Joisey
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
I opened it and took the filters out, only to find that they were in very good condition and very clean and havery little odor to them.....???

Is there any other place I can look for that could be the source of the odor? It smells like an old damp log and some kind of a chemical sent with it, it has an annoying affect and a bit choaking at first then when you discise it with freshener it kind of goes away, or I think you get used to it....
Are there any other air filters that I can change?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM

2007 e550 4-matic
hate to say this, but what are the chances the car was in some sort of flood? The odor MAY possibly be in and under the carpets? I hope I am wrong, because the only way I know to get rid of that is to remove and replace the affected areas of carpeting. Can you get your nose to the floor and smell?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Are there any other air filters that I can change?
Sounds like it could be in the carpeting or backing. I would try and clean the air intake with some commercially available cleaner- try Pep boys etc. And if that does not work then I would suspect that the car was left with a window open or did indeed take on some water...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Well I would not rule out flooding or any sort of saturation, but I'm stuck with it now. I'll do a little sniffing around and see what comes up.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

S550 4matic, ML350
Just to rule out the A/C, is the odor worse when the AC is on full? If not coming from there, I would agree the carpeting and or water damage might be the cause... Also, is this odor in the trunk? Less or more? Possibility of a dead animal in the engine bay? Let us know the result and good luck!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Well I would not rule out flooding or any sort of saturation, but I'm stuck with it now. I'll do a little sniffing around and see what comes up.
The only thing that comes to my mind is for you to park the car in a garage everyday after work, leave the windows down for maximum ventilation and give the car time to air out. Perhaps having a small fan driving air through.
AT THE SAME TIME:
Kind of an extreme idea but you might could try sprinkling Arm & Hammer baking soda all over the carpeting, leave it there for a week, then vacuum. ( May take a couple of applications.) If you don't want to go that drastic, just leave a large pan full of baking soda in the floor of the car. Something about baking soda absorbs bad odors in refrigerators and it may work in your car.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Hate to bring this one back to life but I have had this topic on the back burner since one of you brought up the filters. I just did an A service and asked the MB dealer to replace them. The service tech showed them to me and they looked ok and certainly did not smell. Either way there is a noticeable difference in my car with the new ones. It is one of the more valuable things I have pulled out of these forums in a while. The subtle smell I have had in the car for the last year was bugging me and I'm thrilled to be rid of it.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 PM

2006 SL 65 AMG, 2008 S550
I have the DAS system. there is actually a video from mercedes on this odor issue and how to resolve it. I will try to transfer and upload. Basically you have to pick up 'evaporater coil cleaner'. Here in the states you can get it at Grainer overseas maybe at an industrial supply company. Anyone who sells heavy duty cleaners for restuarants, etc.

Basically, in the footwell on the drivers side, there is a temp. sensor (believe for interior cabin). you have to remove this then fill a spray gun similar to a generic garden pest control pump
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1579&bih=744

like these here. then put the nozzle up through the temp sensor and pump in. this is coating the evaporator coil which is the cause of the smell. move the nozzle around to coat evenly. once done, roll windows down then run the ac on high and hit recirculate. after dry, then go and change the cabin filters as mentioned above. simple cleanse. I will see if I can post the video. very step by step description.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by egauster
Just to rule out the A/C, is the odor worse when the AC is on full? If not coming from there, I would agree the carpeting and or water damage might be the cause... Also, is this odor in the trunk? Less or more? Possibility of a dead animal in the engine bay? Let us know the result and good luck!

Well I can tell you that it is much better Now that I have bombarded the car with about a dozen different air fresheners and burn incent.

It's not from the carpet or seats, and I would defanatly say it's the aircon, and ventilation sys. The odor accumulates when the car is closed and not in use, and when I get in and start it and ventilate it the smell and eye irritating sensation tends to fade away.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by trumpet1
The only thing that comes to my mind is for you to park the car in a garage everyday after work, leave the windows down for maximum ventilation and give the car time to air out. Perhaps having a small fan driving air through.
AT THE SAME TIME:
Kind of an extreme idea but you might could try sprinkling Arm & Hammer baking soda all over the carpeting, leave it there for a week, then vacuum. ( May take a couple of applications.) If you don't want to go that drastic, just leave a large pan full of baking soda in the floor of the car. Something about baking soda absorbs bad odors in refrigerators and it may work in your car.
It's hard to do that because my garage is open to weather, and We get a lot of dust here. But I just bought that carpet sprinkle cleaner and hope it will help.

Thanks

Originally Posted by jprescott
Hate to bring this one back to life but I have had this topic on the back burner since one of you brought up the filters. I just did an A service and asked the MB dealer to replace them. The service tech showed them to me and they looked ok and certainly did not smell. Either way there is a noticeable difference in my car with the new ones. It is one of the more valuable things I have pulled out of these forums in a while. The subtle smell I have had in the car for the last year was bugging me and I'm thrilled to be rid of it.
Well if I change the filters after doing the evaporator flush that "phantomsd" suggested, I might end up with the sweetest smelling car in town.

Thanks

Originally Posted by phantomsd
I have the DAS system. there is actually a video from mercedes on this odor issue and how to resolve it. I will try to transfer and upload. Basically you have to pick up 'evaporater coil cleaner'. Here in the states you can get it at Grainer overseas maybe at an industrial supply company. Anyone who sells heavy duty cleaners for restuarants, etc.

Basically, in the footwell on the drivers side, there is a temp. sensor (believe for interior cabin). you have to remove this then fill a spray gun similar to a generic garden pest control pump
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1579&bih=744

like these here. then put the nozzle up through the temp sensor and pump in. this is coating the evaporator coil which is the cause of the smell. move the nozzle around to coat evenly. once done, roll windows down then run the ac on high and hit recirculate. after dry, then go and change the cabin filters as mentioned above. simple cleanse. I will see if I can post the video. very step by step description.
That seems to me the final nail in this odor problem casket, I'm dying to see the vidio so I can go ahead with it, hope you upload it soon or YouTube it.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

ALL
It sounds like you need to have the evaporator core cleaned and disinfected. That is most likely the cause of the smell. Where did you purchase the car from? You said the car sat in storage and then in transport in your original post.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by MBpartspro
It sounds like you need to have the evaporator core cleaned and disinfected. That is most likely the cause of the smell. Where did you purchase the car from? You said the car sat in storage and then in transport in your original post.
I got it from Copart

It must of had a serious problem at one stage of the piece, but now other than that fading odor, it looks like a million bucks.

The odor Comes out of the aircon vents even when it's turned off, but it fades away when I turn on the AC. I'm still waiting for that flushing vidio "phantomsd" talked about.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 PM

E500
I've been following your thread for a couple of weeks now. I have the same moldy smell coming from the a/c in my 2003 E500. I bought it in the autumn and didn't find the mold problem until I first used the a/c the next summer.

I've tried every home remedy for the past 3 years but believe that phantomsd is correct about the cause being mold/mildew buildup on your evaporator coils. You (and I) probably won't get a good solution until the evaporator coil is either seriously cleaned, or replaced.

Replacement is definitely not do-it-yourself, and having the service shop do the work looks to cost 2-3,000USD. So, I'm going to try the in-place evaporator cleaning first. I want the junk cleaned from the coils and will try to find a shop that can apply solvent cleaners under pressure. Barring that, I'll probably try it myself, whether by drilling access to the coils and spraying, or by spraying a cleaner through the air intake and hoping for the best.

Here are some videos I found on Youtube which may help highlight the complexity of the problem:

"AC Evaporator Cleaning"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq-j...eature=related

This one looks worse than heart surgery:
"e420 Evaporator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqIm...eature=related

"evaporator replacement Mercedes-Benz W203"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQXT...eature=related

Various AC Cleaning Systems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8X8R...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ox17vHu9vc&NR=1
http://www.airsept.com/
and there must be many who are more accessible to you.

Hope this helps,
hb
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
maybe it's from the valet guy?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by ML_captain
maybe it's from the valet guy?

Well it could be if he had Curry Beans for lunch.....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 AM

S550 QX56 CAT-D8N
Originally Posted by hucklebarry
I've been following your thread for a couple of weeks now. I have the same moldy smell coming from the a/c in my 2003 E500. I bought it in the autumn and didn't find the mold problem until I first used the a/c the next summer.

I've tried every home remedy for the past 3 years but believe that phantomsd is correct about the cause being mold/mildew buildup on your evaporator coils. You (and I) probably won't get a good solution until the evaporator coil is either seriously cleaned, or replaced.

Replacement is definitely not do-it-yourself, and having the service shop do the work looks to cost 2-3,000USD. So, I'm going to try the in-place evaporator cleaning first. I want the junk cleaned from the coils and will try to find a shop that can apply solvent cleaners under pressure. Barring that, I'll probably try it myself, whether by drilling access to the coils and spraying, or by spraying a cleaner through the air intake and hoping for the best.

Here are some videos I found on Youtube which may help highlight the complexity of the problem:

"AC Evaporator Cleaning"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq-j...eature=related

This one looks worse than heart surgery:
"e420 Evaporator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqIm...eature=related

"evaporator replacement Mercedes-Benz W203"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQXT...eature=related

Various AC Cleaning Systems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8X8R...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ox17vHu9vc&NR=1
http://www.airsept.com/
and there must be many who are more accessible to you.

Hope this helps,
hb

Holly crap.... What was that all about? It seems that the job costs more than the whole car???

I guess I'll just stick to air freshener.......

Thanks hb