S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Teflon Coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Teflon Coating

Hi All,

I have been reading / hearing about this 'teflon' coating to protect car paint. Any experiences / advice.

Is it something that really protects paint? Have you seen it work? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 AM

S550 sport, CL550 sport, CL63 Designo
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Hi All,

I have been reading / hearing about this 'teflon' coating to protect car paint. Any experiences / advice.

Is it something that really protects paint? Have you seen it work? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!
I had it done at the dealership on both of my CL and S for around $350 each. I think it works pretty well as both of them always shine even with no wax. I hardly ever wax my car, I just use the spray detailer every once in a while. I don't know if you can apply it to an older car though?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by zelement
I had it done at the dealership on both of my CL and S for around $350 each. I think it works pretty well as both of them always shine even with no wax. I hardly ever wax my car, I just use the spray detailer every once in a while. I don't know if you can apply it to an older car though?

Thanks for your response.

I am doing a Euro Delivery of my E350 Cab and would like to get teflon coating done for it. I will check with my dealership where it can be done. Will keep you posted. Thanks again!!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!!
Look at the comments below and make your own judgement:

Ok guys, I think I can answer all these questions with the truth and with logic. Manufacturers started adding "TEFLON" to car polish because consumers are familiar with the "word". Nothing will stick to teflon, so its virtually impossible to get it to stick to the finish, UNLESS you physically (mechanically) bond it to the paint the same way they "bond" it to a frying pad. They "scratch" the metal with 1000's of microfine scratches, and then force the pure "PTFE" or (TEFLON-Duponts brand name)into the scratches under head and pressure. Can you do this to your car? Probably, but you probably don't want to scratch the finish to do it, and you don't *have* to, to have a slippery coating. Someone said they could do it, by using a high speed buffer- problem with this, is that if it was truly 100% teflon, the buffing wheel wouldn't cause friction to create the heat (remember its TEFLON-no friction). + or - charges? Electromagnetically bonding something to your paint finish would hold about as well as rubbing a balloon with wool, and sticking styrofoam to it. By the way, the product that someone claimed was being "manufactured and sold BY DUPONT", isn't a "DUPONT" product, its an outside company, buying TEFLON from DUPONT, licensed to use the DUPONT logo... its not actually made by DUPONT. Look at the company name on the rear of the products. Its not Dupont. That doesn't mean its not a good product, but its not necessary to fool people into buying good products with names like "TEFLON", its just *easier* to do so.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Marketing gimmick. You should spend the money on a good detail, and I strongly suggest to not let the dealer do it during PDI.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
It's complete and utter BS.

What you are expecting them to use (but have no proof, as for all you know, they could use some cheap wax or sealant) is a Sealant with Teflon. You can get a high quality Sealant from Pep Boys for under $30 (I'm sure whatever the Dealer uses, may be a lower quality form of Sealant).

Sealants are great, as they last very long (6 months or so, let's say), and are far more durable than Wax. However, you must prep the surface well before you get it on there, etc., and you don't know how well a Dealer knows how to do that.

Basically, all they are doing is applying some Sealant to your car, and marking it up about 1,000%.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Hi Guys - Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences and providing recommendations.

Thanks again!!