S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Audio playback with SDHC card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350L
Unhappy Audio playback with SDHC card

I have a new [2010] S350L with standard 6 changer cd etc. I have transferred music files to SDHC cards using both itunes and windows media player. Although the car seems to recognise the tracks etc it just continually scrolls through them without playing any of them [even when selected - it goes to that track and then starts scrolling through all the other tracks].

I have tried copying them to the hard drive [music register?] and have the same problem [as may be expected]. Also, original [bought] CD's will not copy from the cars player onto the music registers hard drive [as I would expect!]

Help! anyone got detailed info about how I get my music in itunes or Windows onto an SD card and to play in my car?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 AM

I've tried the SD card thing and I think you'd be better off buying an iPod. I never had the problem you experienced - It's just that it took a long time for COMAND to sort out the tracks and start playing.

The iPod handles the "difficult" parts of digital audio playback which COMAND seems very slow at. Apple has really perfected that part.

Also, it's more elegant to sync. And even an old used iPod works really well.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It should only take some time when you first insert the memory card. Next time when you start playing songs from the card, everything should work fast (I'm using a fast memory CF card, not sure how much difference that makes).

Ian P, are you sure your songs are correctly coded? iTunes default does not work, on older W221 cars neither Windows Media formats, I'm not sure if the 2010 should do that as some later Comand units do.

I guess the 2010 Comand has a memory card slot instead of a PCMCIA adapter? Have you checked it supports SD HC cards? I think the new NTG2.5 does not (thanks to all who have complained about the PCMCIA interface that supports all formats through an adapter, now MB shows they listen to their customers, unfortunately).

I would try with an SD card and put a few MP3 titles there first. Another option would be to read carefully the car manual, the solution is there, no doubt about that.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Originally Posted by Ian P
I have a new [2010] S350L with standard 6 changer cd etc. I have transferred music files to SDHC cards using both itunes and windows media player. Although the car seems to recognise the tracks etc it just continually scrolls through them without playing any of them [even when selected - it goes to that track and then starts scrolling through all the other tracks].
Check the MP3 bitrate and make sure it's within the advertised spec. I suspect it's too high in your case.

I'm using the SD card exclusively, and haven't noticed any latency issues. The music starts right away and I can switch between the tracks with no delay either.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Although it could be different with MB my guess is it isn't due to copyright considerations....my BMW will play MP3s and,IIRC,WMAs through the USB port we have but it will not play iTune files.Perhaps you might check that out.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM

C230
SDHC cards will not work in the SD slot....but if you have an older one with the PCMCIA and can get your hands on a PCMCIA adapter that takes SDHC cards, it will work fine.

I use a PCMCIA Compact Flash reader with 16 GB CF cards with no issues.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by listerone
Although it could be different with MB my guess is it isn't due to copyright considerations....my BMW will play MP3s and,IIRC,WMAs through the USB port we have but it will not play iTune files.Perhaps you might check that out.
iTunes "files" do not have to be DRM protected, I assume the BMW problem is that the car does not support AAC codec which is default for iTunes.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Hate to say it but forget about the hard drive and just burn several CD's to a DVD. That is easy, cheap and has a low stress outcome. Works great with itunes
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 AM

This is a good way to bulk-convert iTunes tracks to generic mp3 (if you are using a Mac)

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...nvertandexport
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM

E550
Same

Originally Posted by Ian P

I have tried copying them to the hard drive [music register?] and have the same problem [as may be expected]. Also, original [bought] CD's will not copy from the cars player onto the music registers hard drive [as I would expect!]

Help! anyone got detailed info about how I get my music in itunes or Windows onto an SD card and to play in my car?
I have the exact same problem on my E550 2010. But i have another card with 8 gb on that works fine, but adding songs to it now it causes the same problem you describe. And trying another card also causes the same problem. The old card that works I set up originally a year ago and forgot exactly how but remember having problems with that card also initially.

Did you solve the problem?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by bmkeswick
I have the exact same problem on my E550 2010. But i have another card with 8 gb on that works fine...
Athough I've only done limited experimentation with SD cards and,therefore,can't claim to be an expert the experimentation I *have* done plus various things I've read suggest that SD cards...particularly higher capacity ones...can be problematic.I've had good luck with a high capacity (32GB) CF card and a 32GB flash drive but no luck at all with a 16GB SD card.I haven't tried an SD card smaller than that so I can't comment on such cards.

Last edited by listerone; 06-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Originally Posted by listerone
Athough I've only done limited experimentation with SD cards and,therefore,can't claim to be an expert the experimentation I *have* done plus various things I've read suggest that SD cards...particularly higher capacity ones...can be problematic.I've had good luck with a high capacity (32GB) CF card and a 32GB flash drive but no luck at all with a 16GB SD card.I haven't tried an SD card smaller than that so I can't comment on such cards.
How many songs did you get to be recognized on your 32GB CF card?

I have PCMCIA + Transcend 32GB 400x CF card, but I can only get about 2700 songs (12GB) recognized, not the 4000 specified in the manual.

As Diesel Benz says, the slowness accessing the CF card is more noticeable the first time or so the card is inserted. It seems as though it caches the folders and or files on the card first.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by HiTach
How many songs did you get to be recognized on your 32GB CF card?

I have PCMCIA + Transcend 32GB 400x CF card, but I can only get about 2700 songs (12GB) recognized, not the 4000 specified in the manual.

As Diesel Benz says, the slowness accessing the CF card is more noticeable the first time or so the card is inserted. It seems as though it caches the folders and or files on the card first.
I also got PCMCIA and a 32GB card. I have about 16 GB of music in there and they are being recognized with no problems. Only ONCE it did not recognize some of the folders but the next day they were there