S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New guy in Japan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
745i BMW '05, S550 '08
New guy in Japan

Looking to join the ranks of fellow W221 owners. Just would wanted to send a shout out before asking a few questions. Nice forum btw. A tad about me, I'm from the USA, but am in Japan. I work for non other than John Deere ( Regional Service Director).

As for the questions, I'm looking to pick up a S550 this week. Spotted two I was interested in. One was the S550 4matic, not sure what all that entails, but wanted to know if I could do 22's without issue on the 4matic. When changing wheels do I need sensors in an 06/07 model? Other than that is there anything else I need to be aware of before purchasing?

Just sold my '05 745i recently and decided to go Benz. After having all the space in the 7 I chose the S550 over the CLS550. I loved my 7, but had a few headaches with the dealership here and decided to move on. The 7 was a fun car (few hiccups here and there with electrical problems), but overall I was able to fix the issues (faulty alternator, etc.) myself. Again great forum, here's to hoping we can talk shop during my stay, and thanks in advance gentlemen.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by 745Japan
Looking to join the ranks of fellow W221 owners. Just would wanted to send a shout out before asking a few questions. Nice forum btw. A tad about me, I'm from the USA, but am in Japan. I work for non other than John Deere ( Regional Service Director).

As for the questions, I'm looking to pick up a S550 this week. Spotted two I was interested in. One was the S550 4matic, not sure what all that entails, but wanted to know if I could do 22's without issue on the 4matic. When changing wheels do I need sensors in an 06/07 model? Other than that is there anything else I need to be aware of before purchasing?

Just sold my '05 745i recently and decided to go Benz. After having all the space in the 7 I chose the S550 over the CLS550. I loved my 7, but had a few headaches with the dealership here and decided to move on. The 7 was a fun car (few hiccups here and there with electrical problems), but overall I was able to fix the issues (faulty alternator, etc.) myself. Again great forum, here's to hoping we can talk shop during my stay, and thanks in advance gentlemen.
Just my 2 cents on the 4matic and running 22s on it; I would make sure that you don't use a staggered setup and use the same width rim all around. Some people claim that using staggered rims is ok on 4matic, but I tend to disagree since if it was ok Mercedes would be shipping them from the factory like that.

Aside from that, they'll be the typical 7G transmission issues (namely the valve body). That is usually only an issue in the 2007s but they seem to have gotten better after that. All things aside they are very reliable cars.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:12 AM

745i BMW '05, S550 '08
Originally Posted by lboudreau
Just my 2 cents on the 4matic and running 22s on it; I would make sure that you don't use a staggered setup and use the same width rim all around. Some people claim that using staggered rims is ok on 4matic, but I tend to disagree since if it was ok Mercedes would be shipping them from the factory like that.

Aside from that, they'll be the typical 7G transmission issues (namely the valve body). That is usually only an issue in the 2007s but they seem to have gotten better after that. All things aside they are very reliable cars.
Wheels would definitely be staggered. Can I ask why you can't run 22's staggered on the 4matic version? Would it be problematic?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 AM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
I don't know the technical reasoning behind a non-staggered setup for a 4Matic car. One of my former employees who was mechanically inclined said it had to do with the mechanical differential in charge of operating the AWD setup. I personally wouldn't run a staggered setup because I have a lack of knowledge of the consequences. If you must have a staggered setup, then why not just find a RWD S class instead of a 4Matic model? If you're willing to go RWD, this opens up the possibility of an S63 or and S65 (gasp!). Just food for thought. Obviously you have many factors to consider.
My M5 runs a staggered setup as OEM, and it is appropriate there with the RWD setup. I don't know of any German car companies producing AWD cars with a staggered setup, so there must be a reason. BTW my S550 has the factory/OEM 20" wheel package, and they are all the same width on my 4Matic. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 AM

745i BMW '05, S550 '08
Originally Posted by IDriveAnM5
I don't know the technical reasoning behind a non-staggered setup for a 4Matic car. One of my former employees who was mechanically inclined said it had to do with the mechanical differential in charge of operating the AWD setup. I personally wouldn't run a staggered setup because I have a lack of knowledge of the consequences. If you must have a staggered setup, then why not just find a RWD S class instead of a 4Matic model? If you're willing to go RWD, this opens up the possibility of an S63 or and S65 (gasp!). Just food for thought. Obviously you have many factors to consider.
My M5 runs a staggered setup as OEM, and it is appropriate there with the RWD setup. I don't know of any German car companies producing AWD cars with a staggered setup, so there must be a reason. BTW my S550 has the factory/OEM 20" wheel package, and they are all the same width on my 4Matic. Good luck.
Thanks guys. I was just asking because the car I was considering was a S550 4matic, never owned a black car so was very interested in changing things up and going for it. Guess I may have to play the waiting game until I come across something even better.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Various
Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 PM

745i BMW '05, S550 '08
Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
Welcome to the forum!
I was looking at the VVS078 wheel, but was told it now discontinued. Was wanting to go with 22 staggered in black/stainless.

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Various
Originally Posted by 745Japan
I was looking at the VVS078 wheel, but was told it now discontinued. Was wanting to go with 22 staggered in black/stainless.
Thanks for the PM, working on this for you.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Welcome, and you'll find this a great forum as the S class drivers are a great bunch and know their stuff. I drove my nephew's 750 BMW and while I'm a huge bimmer fan, the S class is way better. Can't put my finger on why but it seems to be in every respect... you'll see for yourself...
As for the tire thing, I am personally fine with little 'ol 19's on my car and would think that 20"+ rims, and especially 22's would feel every bump. The owners of 22's could weigh in on that one.
As for 4 matic, good choice if there's snow in Japan, and if it's alot, 4 snow tires would make the car an awesome winter machine. Enjoy!