S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Radio Volume on Start Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S Class
Unhappy Radio Volume on Start Up

Can someone please help me?

I have a 2008 S Class which in every way is perfect EXCEPT.....regardless of the volume level of the radio / audio when I switch the engine off (on loud or even off prior to turning off the engine) it will ALWAYS come on at half volume when I start up the engine. Three dealers have not been able to resolve the problem and any advice / resolve would be gratefully received! Thank you for reading. BTW - I want the radio to behave as it was when the engine was turned off as with any other car
Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by odgy999

I have a 2008 S Class which in every way is perfect EXCEPT.....regardless of the volume level of the radio / audio when I switch the engine off (on loud or even off prior to turning off the engine) it will ALWAYS come on at half volume when I start up the engine. Three dealers have not been able to resolve the problem and any advice / resolve would be gratefully received! Thank you for reading. BTW - I want the radio to behave as it was when the engine was turned off as with any other car
I cannot help but I wanted to say I've seen a few members complaining about the same at the W204 forum, I don't think I've seen it here before.

As you say the audio level should remain as it was when ignition was switched off (I'm not sure about extremely high volume settings, the car might reduce volume "to a safe level").

You might try to search guidance from the W204 forum in case they found any resolution.

I have not seen any settings that could be configured with diagnosis tools, perhaps the head unit SW could be updated/reprogrammed and the reset just in case it would help.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 , S430
yeah I also notice that!
Additionally, I also notice that the volume goes up with higher RPM or speed.
and goes down a bit when slowing down like at stopping for red light.

I thought this is a "FEATURE" of the smart logic sound ??
Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
I have an odd variation that may be connected to this:

When I start the engine up and reverse out of my driveway, I cannot adjust the volume while reversing. I mean I can dial up the volume wheel in the center console or use the steering wheel controls and nothing happens. Then shortly after a noticeable time lag, the volume comes on at full blast. It a minor irritant.

Chris
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 AM

W221
Originally Posted by odgy999

My 2008 S also has this problem. The dealer updated the command software but did not solve the problem.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

E320
Wondering if the issue mentioned by cjf above has to do with Bluetooth - my command becomes pretty unresponsive during the first few seconds of bluetooth activation which for many of us would the time spent pulling out of the driveway.