S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

First Car (First Post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
745i BMW '05, S550 '08
My 1st car was 78 Chevy Malibu Classic. It was a 1K hooptie that I loved. I'm 34 now driving the S550 and love it. If Dad is paying go for the S550 lil buddy. If it's your dollar get what you can afford and enjoy it, the chicks will still dig a hardworking young gentleman.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 AM

C300
Originally Posted by 745Japan
My 1st car was 78 Chevy Malibu Classic. It was a 1K hooptie that I loved. I'm 34 now driving the S550 and love it. If Dad is paying go for the S550 lil buddy. If it's your dollar get what you can afford and enjoy it, the chicks will still dig a hardworking young gentleman.
Thanks for the input!

I think I am leaning toward the new C250 or the '12 BMW 3-Series... both of them look pretty good...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM

2012 S350
If I were 16 now, lived in CA and I could spend that kind of money I would 1st learn how to drive a manual transmission then my list would be--
1. C6 Corvette, $40k will easily get you an early low mileage Z06--3200 lbs;505 hp (must be bright color, orange or red go to corvetteforum.com) and the 1st day you drive it to school you will, if you haven't already, lose your virginity
2. 1969 Camaro/Firebird or 1970 Chevelle, go to pro-touring.com and you will find several restored examples with modern accoutrements such as overdrive transmission in your price range many of which are west coast--see above for what will happen the 1st time you drive it to school
3. If German & 4-door is the base requirement (in no particular order) a relatively new S4, which has an amazing 7 spd dual clutch auto, C63 or any of several M3 iterations are likely available in your price range

As a father of 1 boy and grandfather of another and most importantly once a young boy myself, I strongly suggest you save the large 4 door sedan for when you are much older and get the chick magnet to quench the thirst of a wild youth well spent. You have plenty of time to grow up and get practical. For the record, my 1st car was a 1967 Cougar hardtop with a sweet 289 and 4 spd. I took my wife on our 1st date in that car, so watch yourself.

Last edited by lnirenberg; 12-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM

C300
Originally Posted by lnirenberg
If I were 16 now, lived in CA and I could spend that kind of money I would 1st learn how to drive a manual transmission then my list would be--
1. C6 Corvette, $40k will easily get you an early low mileage Z06--3200 lbs;505 hp (must be bright color, orange or red go to corvetteforum.com) and the 1st day you drive it to school you will, if you haven't already, lose your virginity
2. 1969 Camaro/Firebird or 1970 Chevelle, go to pro-touring.com and you will find several restored examples with modern accoutrements such as overdrive transmission in your price range many of which are west coast--see above for what will happen the 1st time you drive it to school
3. If German & 4-door is the base requirement (in no particular order) a relatively new S4, which has an amazing 7 spd dual clutch auto, C63 or any of several M3 iterations are likely available in your price range

As a father of 1 boy and grandfather of another and most importantly once a young boy myself, I strongly suggest you save the large 4 door sedan for when you are much older and get the chick magnet to quench the thirst of a wild youth well spent. You have plenty of time to grow up and get practical. For the record, my 1st car was a 1967 Cougar hardtop with a sweet 289 and 4 spd. I took my wife on our 1st date in that car, so watch yourself.

That is absolutely the best answer every. THANKS! it was a very intresting read haha, i will consider your advice, THANKS AGAIN!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 PM

335i
i would NOT buy an Corvette of any recent generation if I was sixteen (being only a little older than that I still would not consider). They are extremely unforgiving vehicles, they are hard to control, hard to live with, and way to fast for the permit-probationary stage licensee.

If you want to go with the compact sedan range the S4 is the car to go. The most power out of the three, the best handling (arguably), more or less the best technology (perhaps until the F30 is out), and has the potential to modify. I would stray away from any higher mileage S-Classes regardless of the generation. I have little to no experience with the W221 platform, but I know very much that maintaining these cars is a major PITA. As much as I love my car, having had to replace the vacuum pump twice, and nearly having replaced the front airmatic struts, is just to much for me to pay for.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
My first car was a '59 220se. I traded my 350 honda for it. The guy had started restoring it and it was sitting in his backyard. His daughters thought it was great fun to start on the hood and run from the front to the back of the car and back again. It was primered and all the chrome sat in the interior of the car. I had to catch it in gear in the number one police station parting lot on the way home. Note that it hadn't been licensed yet. When I showed it to my Dad and told him I had traded my Honda for it, he looked at me and said. "You ***!"
I spent every hour that summer that I wasn't working restoring it. It was truly a labor of love. One day when I was pulling out of the tire store with new tires I overheard one old guy tell another how quiet it was. After I got it painted my dad wanted to drive it and as he had had several Mercedes previously declared it a "real Mercedes". As I was going to school on the west coast I started across the country with it. I left the state of Pa under the cover of darkness as I still didn't have it registared. By the time I got to Columbus one of the flaws in my restoration had become apparent as the generator belt kept stretching. About 3 AM a guys shows up in a 1955 190sl and asks what the problem was. I tell about the belt stretching and he determines that it was the wrong size belt. He had a Mercedes shop and we go back and get a new belt which he puts on for me and sends me on my way. The next flaw became apparent because now the lights are bright as hell and next thing I know smoke is pouring out of the hood. I found a place to pull over and climbed in the back seat and went to sleep. The next morning another fellow shows up and tells me to go back to the guy I met the night before.I ended up hanging around in OSU bars with one the the shops mechanics and didn't drive it across the country that year. What I remember is how well it drove home. It was so smooth. When you pressed on the gas it just went faster. The following year I did drive it across the country. I drove it all through my junior year of college. My girlfreind at the time cried when I sold it.

The moral of the story is the best cars are the ones that help you connect with other people....

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM

C300
Such an inspirational story, and also I do not like american cars, but i kinda like the new mustang, looks nice, I would love to get a low mileage (20,000-50,000) mile 560SEC... those look very nice and especially the ones with an original AMG widebody...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 PM

2012 S350
02drunkenup states "i would NOT buy an Corvette of any recent generation if I was sixteen (being only a little older than that I still would not consider). They are extremely unforgiving vehicles, they are hard to control, hard to live with, and way to fast for the permit-probationary stage licensee."

Although 16 and responsible is in the main oxymoronic (nothing personal Tino, just a fact), I must beg to differ with 02. Having owned and driven several of various generations of Vettes they are very predictable and well balanced cars that have very good brakes, maybe the best pushrod engine ever built and a very capable suspension. They are only unforgiving in regards to their aggressive power to weight ratio & not alone in this regard among the sports car world. I suggest you use a little less of your money on the car and spend some of it at a track driving school where you can learn how to handle a car. Driver Ed in this country is a joke, although no one is laughing. I agree with 02 in his recommendation of the S4 in that the new V6 model has plenty of power for a new driver, the interior is world class especially the seats, the transmission is as good as it gets, the gas mileage is decent and with quattro it is a very forgiving car. I know this because I had one on order before I ended up with a C63.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM

2012 S350
Check these out--
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...uspension-351W

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...va-Convertible

something different huge and 4 doors--
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...Everything-NEW

Many like this out there, dare to be different.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 PM

C300
Well I am not really into coupes (ex. M3, corvettes). I mean I LOVE Aventadors and exotics but typically I like 4 doors and I prefer an european car, I can't stand any american car... really, no offense. My decisions is around a C250 but you know I am kind of a poser-ish person... so I might get a DNA 5cudo... I don't know... the F30 BMW's interior is stunning. Oh and in my area a corvette doesn't get girls in your bed... I am also considering older model cars (ex. e39, 560 SEC, etcetc) but I wanted something that will last me at least 5 years + until I have financial assets to purchase a new S-Class or better...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM

2012 S350
You are old before your time my young friend. I shall hang my head for another lost soul, then walk to the garage and fire up the '61 Bel Air 2-door Bubbletop 409 and wake up all the neighbors. I guess I can still hold out hope for the grandbaby.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM

C300
You like classic american cars? haha
Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 PM

2012 S350
I like all cars worthy of liking. The C63 I just traded in for a new S350, which for me (unlike you, unless of course your a drug lord from LA) is age appropriate, was a complete gas to drive and was for all practical purposes a German variant of the prototypical muscle car. We are currently enjoying a horsepower renaissance the likes of which we will never see again (at least until they figure out how to make a battery the size of my laptop that will give a mega hp electric motor w/ 400 mile range and recharges in less than 15 minutes). I like fast cars preferably that can turn and go straight with equal skill and with the current state of the aftermarket my 61 handles as well as most modern cars and with the EFI I added to the 409 it has both soul and a computer controlled heart. The soul is what is lacking from modern cars with all the electronic grannies protecting us from our lack of driving skill, in design which is beginning to meld into a single amorphous blob as envisioned by the last micro-chip and in presence. However, daily transportation should be at its core reliable and rock solid and I am not sure there has ever been better, safer, faster more comfortable cars made than current crop of German autos. Someday I would like to be able to have a daily driver made in America (does the GL 350 CDI I had a few years back count?) but that day has not yet come. Except for the C63 which borders the edge of practicality and is better used as a play thing and a vette I have for track use only, all my toys are and have been pre-1971 American (mostly modified/modernized), loud brash and fast. Park any new German car next to one of them and I will make book on which car gets the most attention and it wasn't made overseas.

I heard that there is a ballot petition drive in CA to make it illegal for anyone under 25 w/o kids to own a car with more than 2 doors--honestly its for your own good.

Last edited by lnirenberg; 12-14-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
OP you strike me as a nice young man. To that end make sure that you get something that you will be safe in and drive it responsibly. I'm sure your family want's to see you grow up. Car's are much safer now than the were when I was young but I had a good friend and a couple of acquaintences that didn't survive their youth and I only survived mine and my friends automotive behaviour purely by the grace of God.

If you have the desire to go fast go to the track. Track time cured me of my need for speed on public roads.

A Mercedes is a fine first car. I would stick with the brand and favor the ones with the latest safety equipment that you can afford.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-14-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
bro do you REALLY want to be driving the same exact car your SISTER is driving? I know I wouldn't....if my sister already had the C300, I'd be looking at something else lol.

Also, I would have to agree with some of the others here. S550 may look cool especially at your age but maintenance, gas, insurance, will be a huge burden to you (unless you are super rich). I was driving a 98 beat down Camry at 16 and I still remember gas and insurance being a huge pain in the ****.

For 30~40 I would aim for something you can really learn in. Start off with something small and once your experience grows, then sell that car and get the car that you want. My first year driving = many many many mistakes.