S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 owners do you use a jack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota sienna, S550, Subaru Outback
W221 owners do you use a jack?

Hi members,

Looking to get a good jack to swap out my tires on a regular basis for the summer/winter tires.

What jack do you use and recommend for a w221?

What ton specs is good? 2 ton? 3 or 4 ton?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 AM

C63
The more tons the jack can lift will just make it easier to raise the car, I have a 5 ton floor jack that with lift the front of my 8,000 pound truck with just a little struggle. So 5 ton should be more then enough for you and it's always safe to have a little extra anyways.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kia Sedona
your problem is not going to be how many ton the jack can lift. it's whether you can slide it under your car. you also need an adapter to fit the factory jack point. like reverse logic or fabricate your own. you probably have to drive your car up some wood planks before you can slide the jack under. might be easier just to use the factory jack. my problem is to put the car on the stand. there are no extra jacking point in the car. want to take off the calipers to get it power coated but still looking for ways to put it on a jack. by the way, seems like MB does not recommend jacking up from the rear diff. don't know where to jack up from the front either.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by 02ml320
your problem is not going to be how many ton the jack can lift. it's whether you can slide it under your car. you also need an adapter to fit the factory jack point. like reverse logic or fabricate your own. you probably have to drive your car up some wood planks before you can slide the jack under. might be easier just to use the factory jack. my problem is to put the car on the stand. there are no extra jacking point in the car. want to take off the calipers to get it power coated but still looking for ways to put it on a jack. by the way, seems like MB does not recommend jacking up from the rear diff. don't know where to jack up from the front either.
huh? its an S-class, not a 911. A standard 3 ton low profile jack will easily get under a lowered S-class, especially if you hit the suspension raise button beforehand.

Piece of cake.
The following users liked this post:
llcd (05-05-2020)
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Kia Sedona
Originally Posted by Oliverk
huh? its an S-class, not a 911. A standard 3 ton low profile jack will easily get under a lowered S-class, especially if you hit the suspension raise button beforehand.

Piece of cake.
i would like to see a pic of the jack point after you do that. you need an adapter even if you can raise the car to slide the low profile jack under.
The following users liked this post:
llcd (05-05-2020)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM

C63
I agree about how there is no other jack points to be able to take off all the wheels at once, but as far as just replacing the tires just do one at a time. My 5 ton jack is bulky but fits under the s class no problem I just use a piece of wood on the jack cause the wood is softer and the steel jack point on the car will just imprint in the wood a little and not damage the car at all, there is no steel to steel contact the wood works like a cushion.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Kia Sedona
Originally Posted by Chris63
I agree about how there is no other jack points to be able to take off all the wheels at once, but as far as just replacing the tires just do one at a time. My 5 ton jack is bulky but fits under the s class no problem I just use a piece of wood on the jack cause the wood is softer and the steel jack point on the car will just imprint in the wood a little and not damage the car at all, there is no steel to steel contact the wood works like a cushion.
that's what i did for all the other mercedes i owned except the w221. check out reverse logic. not too bad at $30. or you can cut a small piece of plastic that fits in the jack point and use a piece of wood below that to cushion the jack. but, won't that be easier just to get the reverse logic? it's much prettier and sturdier.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM

C63
Originally Posted by 02ml320
that's what i did for all the other mercedes i owned except the w221. check out reverse logic. not too bad at $30. or you can cut a small piece of plastic that fits in the jack point and use a piece of wood below that to cushion the jack. but, won't that be easier just to get the reverse logic? it's much prettier and sturdier.
Yeah I checked it out, it does look cool and 30 bucks isnt bad either. If you own in S class odds are your going to spend the money to know your not damaging anything either, espically how heavy the car is.