S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hi! Newbie with S550- some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 Graphite Designo, 2009 Volvo XC90 R-Design, 1986 560SL
Hi! Newbie with S550- some questions

Hello everyone, Iv'e been a lurker on MB world ever since I bought a 1986 SL560 back in 2005. I just put a deposit down on an almost fully loaded certified 2008 S550 Graphite Designo. I was shocked that I knew more about the car than the salesperson... I was asking about the type of NAV it had, how to adjust the seats, if it had ABC. At first I got he deer in headlights look and then they fumbled around a bit with the paperwork and tried to give me an explanation.

Is this typical for a MB dealership? Where can I find more detailed information based on the VIN?

Also I tried to haggle with no luck, I'm not ashamed to haggle, figured it was a used car. They kept reminding me about the 120,000 sticker price and that it was special. I KNEW it was special but being a female I pretended not to know. How much luck have you had haggling at the dealer over a used S550? Was I out of line? I did manage to get an extended 2 year warranty for 3,400. They said it is 1,100 off the price. I tried to get those extra 2 years thrown in when they wouldn't budge on the price of the car but that didn't work either. I did get them to put the warranty on a separate invoice instead of the price of the car so I won't pay tax on it.

Anyway the price was 60,000 for the car it has P3, AMG package, and 19,000 miles on it.

The dealer is delivering it to my door and taking a car in a trade. I live 2 hours from the dealer, so that is a nice touch on the dealers part.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Originally Posted by duhseenogirl
Hello everyone, Iv'e been a lurker on MB world ever since I bought a 1986 SL560 back in 2005. I just put a deposit down on an almost fully loaded certified 2008 S550 Graphite Designo. I was shocked that I knew more about the car than the salesperson... I was asking about the type of NAV it had, how to adjust the seats, if it had ABC. At first I got he deer in headlights look and then they fumbled around a bit with the paperwork and tried to give me an explanation.

Is this typical for a MB dealership? Where can I find more detailed information based on the VIN?

Also I tried to haggle with no luck, I'm not ashamed to haggle, figured it was a used car. They kept reminding me about the 120,000 sticker price and that it was special. I KNEW it was special but being a female I pretended not to know. How much luck have you had haggling at the dealer over a used S550? Was I out of line? I did manage to get an extended 2 year warranty for 3,400. They said it is 1,100 off the price. I tried to get those extra 2 years thrown in when they wouldn't budge on the price of the car but that didn't work either. I did get them to put the warranty on a separate invoice instead of the price of the car so I won't pay tax on it.

Anyway the price was 60,000 for the car it has P3, AMG package, and 19,000 miles on it.

The dealer is delivering it to my door and taking a car in a trade. I live 2 hours from the dealer, so that is a nice touch on the dealers part.
Sounds like you got a good deal. You will be very happy with the car. MB dealers are like all dealers, some good, some bad. You just have to find the right guy/gal at your dealership and make him/her your go to person. Once they know you are "into your car" they may be a little more helpful.

My dealership, Smail Motors in Greensburg, Pa is great. But then, I only deal with one person there.

Good luck with the new car.

BTW: Don't feel bad if it takes you weeks to months to figure out how to use all the buttons/features.

Tony
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM

2008 S550 Graphite Designo, 2009 Volvo XC90 R-Design, 1986 560SL
Thanks Tony, glad to hear it's a good deal. I am looking forward to many road trips with my family. I mainly picked the S550 for safety and fell in love when I saw the designo. I enjoy driving my XC90 but it's a sport with 20 inch rims and very stiff unadjustable suspension. I needed a nice weekend highway cruiser.

I haven't stayed loyal to one brand yet, maybe this will be the one and I can find a dealer I'm comfortable with. So far I've gone from Ford to Dodge to BMW to Cadillac to Volvo. I'd love to say Porsche but only went as far as renting a C2 911 Cab for a day.

Thanks again - Misty
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
Wink

Originally Posted by duhseenogirl
Thanks Tony, glad to hear it's a good deal. I am looking forward to many road trips with my family. I mainly picked the S550 for safety and fell in love when I saw the designo. I enjoy driving my XC90 but it's a sport with 20 inch rims and very stiff unadjustable suspension. I needed a nice weekend highway cruiser.

I haven't stayed loyal to one brand yet, maybe this will be the one and I can find a dealer I'm comfortable with. So far I've gone from Ford to Dodge to BMW to Cadillac to Volvo. I'd love to say Porsche but only went as far as renting a C2 911 Cab for a day.

Thanks again - Misty
Hey Misty,

If you pick up the car, I think you'll be happy with the paint job. My 2010 has the Designo Graphite exterior, and I committed to buy it sight-unseen based on the recommendations from my dealer. It's gray, green, blue, purple - just depends on the light conditions. Combined with my 20" rims, my car always gets a lot of attention from other drivers when it's clean, which is most of the time!
I picked up mine for pretty much the same reasons you are - it makes for a very comfortable long-distance cruiser while still being nimble enough to navigate the needs of a daily-driver. Mine has the old V8, so it's not a "mover-&-shaker," but I didn't take it for that reason. It's so relaxing, my heart beats slower. Besides, I always have my M5 for when I need a speed fix.

Good luck!