S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Exhaust set up w/sound clip.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Good Job.

Phat - That sounds awesome - pretty much sounds like S65.

Can you provide exact model for SS Mufflers if possible from the shop that put it on. I want to be sure since slight changes can make a significant difference.

If you dont mind, how much did this project cost you esp. labor? I can see it was well worth it for you.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 PM

CL65 '09, G55 '11
Originally Posted by RT2010
Phat - That sounds awesome - pretty much sounds like S65.

Can you provide exact model for SS Mufflers if possible from the shop that put it on. I want to be sure since slight changes can make a significant difference.

If you dont mind, how much did this project cost you esp. labor? I can see it was well worth it for you.
if you have s550 just change back mufflers to hiflo resonators or non-stock front mufflers ($100-$200 each), than if you have not euro amg-pack remove h-type resonator (it is not h-pipe!), put straight pipes and just add pipe between them in closest place = h-pipe. if it will be to loud to you just add two round hiflo resonators ($50-$150 each) after h-pipe. you will get real badass amg sound only for $1k (if you will add here tips and work).

for exact type of stuff ask in shop someone.

Last edited by X911; 05-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM
KVL

S350
this is mine after install magnaflow:

http://youtu.be/vRmqHWAu77g
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

I have S550 and i have only changed rear mufflers to an original S65.Also i have tryed without resonator but the car was just too loud and there was lot of rattle sound so i have put back on resonator.Now the sound is great...real deep V8 muscle sound...but still it is a litlle bit too quiet.
You suggest to do the h-pipe.But where?On the engine side before resonators or on the rear side after resonator before rear mufflers.What would i achieve by doing that?Will it be a little louder?
Cuz basicly h-piping is the same like x-pipe but x pipe provides more gentle radius allows for better exhaust gas scavenging, noise cancellation and better balance between cylinder banks.
Thanx.

Originally Posted by X911
if you have s550 just change back mufflers to hiflo resonators or non-stock front mufflers ($100-$200 each), than if you have not euro amg-pack remove h-type resonator (it is not h-pipe!), put straight pipes and just add pipe between them in closest place = h-pipe. if it will be to loud to you just add two round hiflo resonators ($50-$150 each) after h-pipe. you will get real badass amg sound only for $1k (if you will add here tips and work).

for exact type of stuff ask in shop someone.

Last edited by E36c_AMG; 05-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 AM

CL65 '09, G55 '11
Originally Posted by E36c_AMG
I have S550 and i have only changed rear mufflers to an original S65.Also i have tryed without resonator but the car was just too loud and there was lot of rattle sound so i have put back on resonator.Now the sound is great...real deep V8 muscle sound...but still it is a litlle bit too quiet.
You suggest to do the h-pipe.But where?On the engine side before resonators or on the rear side after resonator before rear mufflers.What would i achieve by doing that?Will it be a little louder?
Cuz basicly h-piping is the same like x-pipe but x pipe provides more gentle radius allows for better exhaust gas scavenging, noise cancellation and better balance between cylinder banks.
Thanx.
the x-pipe (exhaust gas mixer) benefit for our cars is just like chrome for tanks bro
its not subaru, gtr or mustang gt500, you have luxury expensive car, only you want is just attract some more eyes (mean girls and for yourself (cause not silenced v8 sound and by mercedes is real music as for me)...

actually x-pipe and h-pipe are similar for performance. we tested many systems (handmaded) on cls55 and m5 and differences were at dyno +/- 2hp.

better put h-pipe (as x-pipe) (knowing physics) in the closest place between pipes after headers. i only noticed sound difference between arch h-pipe (like most stock amg exhaust have) and straight real H-pipe like stock SLS have too (and stock sl600 r230 too for my surprise). you can find videos in youtube how they speak more wildness have arch h-pipe in the first angle in exhaust system. more balanced rumble have straight H gas mixer.

arch h-pipe after cats on stock sl55 system:

straight h-pipe on stock sls system:

better do like on sls system. you can leave resonators, if it will be quiet for you just remove them. with h-pipe you never will have crackling noise like with x-pipe (of course if your exhaust guys have hands)

creating and installing h-pipe in good service place will cost approx $150.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust set up w/sound clip.-h-pipe_sls_stock.jpg  

Last edited by X911; 05-31-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM

So acctualy i can put h-pipe in the area after cats before resonator....i mean between cats and resonator?I dont want to remove resonators cuz i know it would be too loud like fckn viper or something....
It sounds amazing now but it is just little too quiet.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Our cars already have a H pipe. I have tried many different set up combinations,and nothing sounds right with the H pipe? And w/out an X pipe. The car sounds like **** cause it makes a weird sound. Check my video that I posted and you'll know what I mean.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM

CL65 '09, G55 '11
Originally Posted by E36c_AMG
So acctualy i can put h-pipe in the area after cats before resonator....i mean between cats and resonator?I dont want to remove resonators cuz i know it would be too loud like fckn viper or something....
It sounds amazing now but it is just little too quiet.
if you show me your exhaust system, i can surely say where better to put it. cause exhausts by mercedes are all different, dunno why.

if you tired to take a photo just find smthg similar to yours.

actually the best way to install gas mixer after cats, just right before resonators, then you'll get "heavy" sound, if you put h-mixer before cats and resonators you'll get similar to amg sound (heavy but muffled). if you wont listen me and put loved by everyone x-pipe, put it only after resonators, just before end mufflers, another way not reasonable for performance. but just forget about this x-****, leave it for c63-tuning-freaks

install h-pipe just before resonators (5-10 cm), after cats, like sls system:

Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM

CL65 '09, G55 '11
Originally Posted by phatisfy
Our cars already have a H pipe. I have tried many different set up combinations,and nothing sounds right with the H pipe? And w/out an X pipe. The car sounds like **** cause it makes a weird sound. Check my video that I posted and you'll know what I mean.
OEM Mercedes H-resonator is not H-pipe. its actually mixer, but crappy.

phatisfy, your system is not right way configured, thats why you have no result. even pipe connections are not right way welded. go with h-pipe. and remember that mufflers supersprint, magnaflow etc are just fraud behavior. but the reason can be also in pipe diameter. of course you need minimum 2 inch pipe to get all sound notes

better buy high-flow fire resonators with diffuser for cents and put them instead mufflers (i know its sounds ridiculous, but try it, you will get what you need from such ride) and leave OEM resonators (if you have them separated, not H-resonator), just put H-pipe bro. anyway the question price is really cheap for experiments.

Last edited by X911; 05-31-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
I already found the right sound from my exhaust set up. So I'm all set with trying anything else.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
The video dont work btw?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
I'm saying your video don't work.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM

CL65 '09, G55 '11
sry, now working

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgbkXQQs5BA
sorry for quality, it mute a bit after noise become loud, like image become dark cause of light, but you can hear the note.

Last edited by X911; 06-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.