S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 Reliability and Dependability Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lexus es
S550 Reliability and Dependability Advice

Hey Folks

We are in the market for a new car and we test drove the new S550 this week. I am not a car expert, but the handling and comfort of the car was exceptional.

I would love to get this car, but I am worried about something and needed guidance from long term S class owners

Here is my profile. I tend to buy my cars new and hold on to them for 10 years or more. Hence dependability is very important for me. I was reading the 2012 Consumer Reports review of the S class and they mentioned that this latest series introduced in 2007 has a predicted reliability of worse than average. Given my profile this worries me.

Can somebody who has owned an S class for 5 years or more please answer the following questions for me

1. First do you agree with the consumer reports assessment?
  2. If you have kept repair records, what does your repair history look like in terms of costs. Intellichoice predicts the repair costs on this car for the first five years is $2,000 or so while Kelly blue book predicts over $4,000. So there seems to be a large variation here. Maybe it is the way the estimate the labor costs, not sure
  3. Also does this repair history worsen after 5 years? This would be critical for me to understand, since I tend to hold on to my cars for a longer time.
Thanks for your help
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM

my first s class was a 2007, bought it with 20k on it, sold it with 65k on it, i needed NOTHING but oil and regular maintenance in that time, i since replaced it with another s and it too has been perfect.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM

2008 AMG E63
I would recommend a warranty. The technology on this car is quite expensive. I made that mistake with my last S class. I had a 94 S500 and kept it for about 12 years. I opted out of the extended warranty and it cost me about $8-9K after the factory warranty ran out. This time around i went ahead and just paid for the extended warranty for piece of mind.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
Originally Posted by darth
Hey Folks

We are in the market for a new car and we test drove the new S550 this week. I am not a car expert, but the handling and comfort of the car was exceptional.

I would love to get this car, but I am worried about something and needed guidance from long term S class owners

Here is my profile. I tend to buy my cars new and hold on to them for 10 years or more. Hence dependability is very important for me. I was reading the 2012 Consumer Reports review of the S class and they mentioned that this latest series introduced in 2007 has a predicted reliability of worse than average. Given my profile this worries me.

Can somebody who has owned an S class for 5 years or more please answer the following questions for me

1. First do you agree with the consumer reports assessment?
  2. If you have kept repair records, what does your repair history look like in terms of costs. Intellichoice predicts the repair costs on this car for the first five years is $2,000 or so while Kelly blue book predicts over $4,000. So there seems to be a large variation here. Maybe it is the way the estimate the labor costs, not sure
  3. Also does this repair history worsen after 5 years? This would be critical for me to understand, since I tend to hold on to my cars for a longer time.
Thanks for your help
If you are looking for an extended warranty, you might want to check out Mercury Insurance Group. You can quote your vehicle at www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com and download sample contracts so that you can review coverage details.

Michelle
auto-POM
michelle@auto-pom.com