S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for recent buyers for the W221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Question for recent buyers for the W221

I'm in the market for a new S350 to purchase outright with the intent on shipping the car overseas to a family member.

On top of having very little choice in options, a $100k car here will easily cost $200-250k in Asia... So, after shipping and paying the 66% import duty, we calculate it to be around $175k.

My question is, has MB dealerships made you guys sign any agreement not to export the vehicles, and for those of you who pay off finance/lease early on in the loan/lease is it as simple as sending a cashier's check and receiving a title or is it more complicated?

I know MB takes active measures to protect their overseas interest (higher profit margin per vehicle) but since I'm here to help my family member out I think its pretty intrusive for an organization to tell you what you can or cannot do with something after you buy it outright.

Any input would be appreciated!

ps.... sorry, just joined today, I was unable to recover my old account
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
I don't see how shipping a car you own (assuming you paid for it and have the title) out of the country. MB has no business with what is shipped out of the U.S or whatnot.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by just1time
I don't see how shipping a car you own (assuming you paid for it and have the title) out of the country. MB has no business with what is shipped out of the U.S or whatnot.
If you buy a new MB and export it within 12 months of the original sale date the dealership is charged a ton of money (and will come after the buyer for the money) from MBUSA for an export sale. Most if not all dealerships will have you sign an export prohibition form when you sign the paperwork stating the vehicle you are purchasing is not for export and that you agree to keep it in the US for 12 months, after that the vehicle can be shipped. This helps prevent the US cutting into the business of other markets worldwide as we sell them at the lowest prices in the world due to low taxes. If you can find a nice 1 year old car you should have no problems with this.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by DCubed
If you buy a new MB and export it within 12 months of the original sale date the dealership is charged a ton of money (and will come after the buyer for the money) from MBUSA for an export sale. Most if not all dealerships will have you sign an export prohibition form when you sign the paperwork stating the vehicle you are purchasing is not for export and that you agree to keep it in the US for 12 months, after that the vehicle can be shipped. This helps prevent the US cutting into the business of other markets worldwide as we sell them at the lowest prices in the world due to low taxes. If you can find a nice 1 year old car you should have no problems with this.
Thanks for your insight. So hypothetically speaking, if a buyer purchases the S350 and decides to trade it in for a Civic.... and then Honda dealership subsequently exports the S350 not knowing there is an agreement, would the local MB dealership be still on the hook?

I do not want to be throwing the dealership under the bus here but it seems that they see foreign markets as "crown jewels" and would take stalinist approach to make sure cars don't get shipped....

A S350 in Singapore is $350,000 USD and being able to land one for $250k means you have a lot of $$ leftover to buy other toys. Its not like we're pinching pennies here
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Thanks for your insight. So hypothetically speaking, if a buyer purchases the S350 and decides to trade it in for a Civic.... and then Honda dealership subsequently exports the S350 not knowing there is an agreement, would the local MB dealership be still on the hook?

I do not want to be throwing the dealership under the bus here but it seems that they see foreign markets as "crown jewels" and would take stalinist approach to make sure cars don't get shipped....

A S350 in Singapore is $350,000 USD and being able to land one for $250k means you have a lot of $$ leftover to buy other toys. Its not like we're pinching pennies here
Its not that they are "crown jewels" but its a function of taxes and a really competitive US market that keeps the German car companies selling for low prices here in the US. As for the scenario you are describing I would not know and I would find one that you can export with 100% certainty that its in the clear.