S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Facelift mirror's from (Chris the Sweden). *warning*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by carboxy
This is why I'm confuse too lol: when did made in taiwan n china were different lol
Different factories. Different setups! Nothing strange with that.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Tobby
But are the wirings plug & play from the German seller? The Asian seller says that their mirrors are rewired for 2007-2009 models. So I guess the ones from Germany are not?
That is the problem. You never know. But these sellers are GOOD so tell them you VIN number and they get you a set that should work.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
I see some are upset because phatisfy has not been happy with his purchase. It is good to see that after months and months of effort he has gotten everything working.

Well guys I had the same experience, except I did not perserver like phatisfy. I'm out the grand (1K) and the mirrors are in a box in my garage.

If you think throwing away a thousand bucks for parts that don't work is being cheap, more power to you.

In all fairness I was told I could ship mine back to Sweden for a refund. But I was also told they would work when I bought them.

I'm going to leave mine in the garage to remind me never to buy from individuals over the internet if they are based overseas.

Tony

BTW: The drivers side signal lights would not work in the ones I received. After awhile Chris was able to replace the light with one that worked.

Beware of the notice that says "Our parts have been checked No Refunds or replacements". Someone needs to check whomever is doing the checking.

Ya'all, be careful out there, you hear!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Tony-

Why don't you order new mirror motors and re-wire the mirror wiring? It will work like oem. Just go to parts.com and get the motors for about $130.00 a set?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM

07' 911 Turbo, 09 ML63
This is same reason, Im hesitant too..lol I dont feel like losing 1k either.. lol
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Mercedes
Losing 1k? In what way? By not wanting them to work? They do work just like any oem. In some cases you just have to fiddle a bit to make them work like oem. If you REALLY want them on your car it is so easy fixed with the great guides in this thread.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Mercedes GL conversion
TonyHarper I understand your grief but for just few more dollars go the way phatisfy and I did and I promise you , yours will work 100%, all you gotta do is buy the new motors and rewire to our diagram, it's better than just giving up and leaving them there.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by JT.S550
TonyHarper I understand your grief but for just few more dollars go the way phatisfy and I did and I promise you , yours will work 100%, all you gotta do is buy the new motors and rewire to our diagram, it's better than just giving up and leaving them there.
agree!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM

2007 S 65
Originally Posted by JT.S550
Guys, thanks for the advise. If I get more adventurous I may try it, but not now.

I bought my S65 because I knew I didn't have the skills necessary to build a hot rod of that quality. I was duped into trying the mirrors when I saw how easy it looked to replace them on this site. What Chris showed was replacing the drivers side. As you know that is pretty simple. I was able to do it without a problem.

Then came the passenger side, which wasn't shown, nor was it easy. As you know, finding the screws isn't easy. Then breaking the snap fastners wasn't fun, then locating and buying replacements was even less fun.

I knew I was out of my depths.

When I finally got all of this done then I found the puddle lights didn't work. The memory function didn't work. Every time you put the car in reverse the mirrors point towards the sky. No, not a lot of fun. Not what I was expecting when I read the plug and play advert.

Now I read it is dead simple, just buy one more part, learn how to disasemble/reassemble the entire mirror asembly, rewire the wiring harness and then I'll be in business.

Well, my hat is off to all that have been through this, and now have working mirrors. I just wish I had those skills, or a shop near by that was willing to take on the job.

The two I contacted looked at me like I was crazy when I explained what had to be done. One asked, you really want to do this to a 200K car?

I think for now my mirrors will serve me better as a reminder sitting in the garage.

But on the other hand, if someone knows where I can get these fixed near Pittsburgh, Pa. please advise.

Tony
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
You dont need to disassemble the mirrors to rewire it. If you want, just send me the mirrors and I'll re-wire it for you. And once you get it back you can just order new motors and install them yourself? Or you can just send me everything that is needed,and I'll get them to work for you. How's that sound?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM

toyota sienna, S550, Subaru Outback
Originally Posted by tonykharper
Guys, thanks for the advise. If I get more adventurous I may try it, but not now.

I bought my S65 because I knew I didn't have the skills necessary to build a hot rod of that quality. I was duped into trying the mirrors when I saw how easy it looked to replace them on this site. What Chris showed was replacing the drivers side. As you know that is pretty simple. I was able to do it without a problem.

Then came the passenger side, which wasn't shown, nor was it easy. As you know, finding the screws isn't easy. Then breaking the snap fastners wasn't fun, then locating and buying replacements was even less fun.

I knew I was out of my depths.

When I finally got all of this done then I found the puddle lights didn't work. The memory function didn't work. Every time you put the car in reverse the mirrors point towards the sky. No, not a lot of fun. Not what I was expecting when I read the plug and play advert.

Now I read it is dead simple, just buy one more part, learn how to disasemble/reassemble the entire mirror asembly, rewire the wiring harness and then I'll be in business.

Well, my hat is off to all that have been through this, and now have working mirrors. I just wish I had those skills, or a shop near by that was willing to take on the job.

The two I contacted looked at me like I was crazy when I explained what had to be done. One asked, you really want to do this to a 200K car?

I think for now my mirrors will serve me better as a reminder sitting in the garage.

But on the other hand, if someone knows where I can get these fixed near Pittsburgh, Pa. please advise.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Don't take this the wrong way but I think anybody can do the mirrors including yourself. You are under estimating yourself. I'm saying this because I was like you, never wanted to do anything because I felt that I didn't have the skills to do it.

Take an unrelated example, if you are a home owner you can relate to this, If you like putting up crown mouldings like myself, and doing stuff like carpentry and using the miter saw cutting angles, I never thought in the world that I could do that and people come over to my house all impress that I was able to do it without any prior knowledge on how to do it. I learned because of the resources like books, magazines, you tube etc.

Back to the subject, we all in mbworld help each other out. I think you have enough resources here to help you resolve the problem.

The other day I got iicense plate led lights..i was able to find out how to do it but Arlen777 was able to give help me further and prevented me from breaking one of the parts. I read another article on how to install the formymercedes lighted sills..kudos to the person who wrote it...I'm going to do that project next!

So I think you shouldn't leave those mirrors into your garage and leave it as bad reminder..we all make mistakes and we learn from them and move on. This forum is active, if you have additional issues, people are here to help you..

good luck..
Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 AM

Mercedes
Chris pays the shipping cost gladely if you send them to phatisfy....to get them fixed.

Super nice of you phatisfy to offer the help. If it really is fixing them you want. Starting to wonder.

And you make it sound super bad here again...It is not that bad. For example: the pudle lights, Was nothing wrong with them. Often it is LEDs put in the wrong way or the cables conected the wrong way. Nothnig wrong with the mirror this time.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 AMG C63S Coupe, Kawasaki ZX10R
Maybe someone should make a DIY with pictures showing the dismantling of both mirrors, changing of the motors and the rewiring to help out people who don't know how to do it

Just my 2 cent
Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by Tobby
Maybe someone should make a DIY with pictures showing the dismantling of both mirrors, changing of the motors and the rewiring to help out people who don't know how to do it

Just my 2 cent

Again. You don't need to take apart the whole mirror to do anything. All you need to do is push the mirror glass either all the way to the left or right. Then stick your finger in the opening and pop it off. Once the mirror glass is off. There just 3 small hex screws holding it. (only 1 screw for the aftermarket motors). As for checking the wires. You'll need a volt meter.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM

2007 S 65
Originally Posted by phatisfy
You dont need to disassemble the mirrors to rewire it. If you want, just send me the mirrors and I'll re-wire it for you. And once you get it back you can just order new motors and install them yourself? Or you can just send me everything that is needed,and I'll get them to work for you. How's that sound?
phatisfy,

This is a very kind offer. I may well take you up on it. The only thing holding me back is I know at least the drivers side mirror has to be taken apart. The puddle light LED bulb has to be turned around. I'm told that is the reason it isn't working. The passenger side does work.

I'm afraid to pull them apart for fear of breaking the plastic. Here is where we need Chris. If you do this for me, and managed to break the plastic while trying to get them apart, will Chris replace the mirror, or am I in the same boat I'm in now.

I think I would be worse off. Not counting taking advantage of your kindness, I would have a broken mirror that I couldn't sell on to a greater fool. (assuming there is a greater fool out there)

Just kidding, but you do see my point. Now if Chris will step up and publicly promise to replace them if they get broken, I'll order the new motors.

Tony
Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by tonykharper
phatisfy,

This is a very kind offer. I may well take you up on it. The only thing holding me back is I know at least the drivers side mirror has to be taken apart. The puddle light LED bulb has to be turned around. I'm told that is the reason it isn't working. The passenger side does work.

I'm afraid to pull them apart for fear of breaking the plastic. Here is where we need Chris. If you do this for me, and managed to break the plastic while trying to get them apart, will Chris replace the mirror, or am I in the same boat I'm in now.

I think I would be worse off. Not counting taking advantage of your kindness, I would have a broken mirror that I couldn't sell on to a greater fool. (assuming there is a greater fool out there)

Just kidding, but you do see my point. Now if Chris will step up and publicly promise to replace them if they get broken, I'll order the new motors.

Tony
I have taken my mirrors apart honestly about 5 times! I had to take all the wiring harness apart over and over again to try and figure out which combo work. Thats before Chris showed me a way to do it with a volt meter. There's only 2-3 hex screws that holds the housing together. The rest are just clips like you said. It's just an offer to help you out btw. If you dont feel comfortable then I understand.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
yes, the led puddle lights need to be a certain direction for it to work. I learned that the hard way too. But it takes no longer than 10mins to remove the housing and switch the bulb around.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 AM

Mercedes
Chris PROMISE you a new mirror housing if it brakes. No problem. He als KNOWS it wont brake at all. You really think mirrors brake if a customer must replace a bulb on their car? As I said. He gladely replaces it,Also pays shipping and new motors. Just like he did for all others that said they had this problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Does anyone know where i can purchase these w221 Facelift mirrors at a good price?please let me know thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM

S 500
Might be interesting to know

My neighbour worked in Stuttgart with the facelift for the W221. He was not on the mirror team but he informed me that it was a lot of discussions regarding the mirrors. The designers didn’t want to change them but there was some rule change that forced Mercedes to change the mirrors. I believe the surface of the mirror was too small according to the new regulations that made the design squared on the face lifted model.

Personally I agree with the designers the oval shape looks better.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM

S500
Originally Posted by J_Lind
My neighbour worked in Stuttgart with the facelift for the W221. He was not on the mirror team but he informed me that it was a lot of discussions regarding the mirrors. The designers didn’t want to change them but there was some rule change that forced Mercedes to change the mirrors. I believe the surface of the mirror was too small according to the new regulations that made the design squared on the face lifted model.

Personally I agree with the designers the oval shape looks better.
By the looks its going to be oval again for W222 ,slightly larger though..
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 AM

jeep
Love the second one down in that series

Last edited by rkvucynq24; 02-18-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:35 PM

S550
I have a lifetime S350 cars in 2008, I just replaced my rear-view mirror of life in 2011 on the S300, but not right side mirror memory positions while back,
I have read and follow the instructions of your way on this, but have not been
We wish to help you.
I'm Vietnam english so bad you sympathy steam
Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by dung_taybien
I have a lifetime S350 cars in 2008, I just replaced my rear-view mirror of life in 2011 on the S300, but not right side mirror memory positions while back,
I have read and follow the instructions of your way on this, but have not been
We wish to help you.
I'm Vietnam english so bad you sympathy steam
I know it's not funny but...damn that's funny! Maybe just write it in Vietnamese and see if someone here can google translate.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Guys, let me take a crack at this:

For sinus winners the pasta cannot achieve tasty. No flaking basket keep my temperature cabinet? Many of the watching are not for the hooray. Hope that helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Facelift mirror's from (Chris the Sweden). *warning*