S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New to me S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic;2012 Suburban; '05 FLHTCSE;'06 S 4300 Tiara
New to me S550

I bought a 2011 S class 4Matic last weekend. I had brought my E 550 4Matic in for some work and was wandering around the lot and decided it was time to move up. Dealers in The NW are extremely proud of their vehicles. Seemed like there were a number of low mileage 2011's to be had but no 2010's. Most were equipped with a P2 package, Sport and rear window blinds. A few had some additional options like a Pano sun roof(which I could care less about), lighted door sills, heated steering wheels but none with Distronic which I would like to have. No deals to be had on 2012's but that's subject to change when the 2013's arrive, but maybe not given what they want for the 2011's. One dealer offered 10k off of MSRP for a 2011 with a rear seat package and 2300 "sales manager miles". I thought discussions should have stated at $20k off MSRP. Another dealer wanted high 80's for a 2011 with 5000 miles and the premium leather upgrade.

A possible complicating factor was my trade. One dealer offered $16k another $22k. Both noted the same defiencies but one deducted repair costs and the other didn't.

I know, I know, new engines in the 2012's. Since I had the 550 in my Eclass I was happy with the power. It seemed sluggish at first even in sport mode (as opposed to economy mode) but an ECU reset helped considerably.

I've only read about half the owners manual and some 40 pages of threads at this point and I have several questions. Is there any way to shut off that annoying 14 gong chime from Command every time the car starts. I know how to read so it would suffice to just display the warning on the screen. The first time that went off I thought I destroyed something expensive. It needs to go.

Do I have fog lights? I had my local dealer print out a master inquiry and fog lights aren't mentioned. When I turn on my lights the little green light on the light switch comes on and stays on. When I pull on the *** it only comes out one click and the yellow rear fog lamp indicator lamp is lit. Does the presense or absense of fog lamps have anything to do with the botttom linear led strip. The bottom strip of LED's seem to be the DRL's.

Maps. My local small town dealer said go to Navteq and order Ver.7. Navteq web site mandates getting them from the dealer. My search of this forum seems to suggest most folks are updating w/ ver.10 or 11. My maps are 2010-2011 version 4.

My invoice and the Master inquiry form states I have split view. I believe it's illegal in WA state but shouldn't I have gotten the remote and earphones?

The car went through predelivery service on March 11, 2011 and was first titled on June 9,2011. In mid Feb 2012 the car was offered as a CPO vehicle with 5700 miles and as near as I can tell transferred to a sister non MB dealership after it sat for 5 months. That's where I found it w/ 5800 miles and non CPO. I bought through a Mercedes dealer and he attributed the "lower" price to the fact that it wasn't a cpo car. It apparently lost the cpo designation when it was transferreed to the non MB dealer. Does that sound right? I haven't sprung for an extended warranty yet but I read here somewhere that CPO vehicles qualify for the MB extended warranty which is supposedly better. Guess I'll have to ask.

Any help on the issues included in this post will be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
Congrats! where are the pics!!!!

What do you mean by ECU reset? How do you perform that ?
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
No, you don't have fog lights, only the back one's. I was wondering about that too, but you only get those led DRL.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera
Congrats! where are the pics!!!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...nted-know.html

See post #21. I learned about this in 2007 when I first bought my E class. The instructions back then said turn the key to the #3 position, hold accelerator down for 5 seconds and then w/ the accelerator still depressed tuirn the key back to the # 1 position and wait 2 minutes. Voila, instant go especially if you've been wimpy footed on the accelerator.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera

Since the transmission will adapt to driving style, aggressive or granny mode inputs will be remembered for the next driving session. Most driving is not aggressive so the ECU will be at slow throttle/shifting for better gas mileage. The ECU reset will erase any memory and revert to the factory settings.

Besides the thread mentioned above, the main thread is on the AMG E-class forum...search for "sneaky reset". It is possible to reset the ECU quicker by some mashing on the pedal a couple of times while driving instead of doing the reset standing still. Don't forget that it will revert back to your normal style of driving just as quickly.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM

I've answered at least one of my questions. As near as I can tell Command was updated in 2010 and uses a newer map version. I have ver. 4 installed and need ver.7.

Anybody know whether SPLITVIEW comes w/ earphones and a remote. The manual seems to suggest that it does but maybe I'm reading to much into it. Dealer says no.