S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

......Having the s550 for a few days, i few things i noticed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
range rover
......Having the s550 for a few days, i few things i noticed

1. lots of kids try to race or drive past me really fast

2. too many nosy people lookin into the car

3. people asking me about the car like i have it for sale

4. like my last vehicle (range rover) everyone lets me in their lanes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
I notice the "kids racing past me" thing when driving the CL600. I guess they think some slow driving old person is in it...not a chance in hell! I use my V12
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
S class = Big Boss! So that means get out of the way!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM

range rover
Originally Posted by phatisfy
S class = Big Boss! So that means get out of the way!

LOL

So far i LOVE the car. and im comming from always having 'nicer' vehicles...

the color doesnt help, its a bit flashy with the metallic red flakes...

i also have pulling up along side while in on the highways
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jgjk

1. TUNE! its like 30hp more

2. TINT! its a must have on an S class

3. Because you're a boss now

4. Like a boss! (see godfather's license plate.)

congrats and happy motoring!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 PM

range rover
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
1. TUNE! its like 30hp more

2. TINT! its a must have on an S class

3. Because you're a boss now

4. Like a boss! (see godfather's license plate.)

congrats and happy motoring!

will tuning void the warranty?

what else can i do to increase the exaust noise to a nice deep sound (not the muffler cans on kids and their riced out civics?)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
will tuning void the warranty?

what else can i do to increase the exaust noise to a nice deep sound (not the muffler cans on kids and their riced out civics?)

I have magnaflows on mine, its throaty to my liking but retains "almost" stock cabin noise. Outside its a bit more aggressive when you floor it. Whatever you do, it wont sound like a riced out civics. 5.5 V8 FTW!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM

range rover
Originally Posted by Sako
I have magnaflows on mine, its throaty to my liking but retains "almost" stock cabin noise. Outside its a bit more aggressive when you floor it. Whatever you do, it wont sound like a riced out civics. 5.5 V8 FTW!

price and links on them?

thank you!

i gotta quit hangin on this site, even though im breezing through work today ive been here atleast 2 hours today
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
ppl try to race you because they think they can take you. i get "ppl don't want to let me in" a lot actually, somehow of all the cars i have had, the s is so far the most "hated" one, i guess people are jealous. when i had my m3? hardly anyone dared to play with me, as soon as get close they changed lanes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
The funny thing is... With a decent engine, those guys who try to race you will get owned so hard I remember stopping at the red light when some old BMW drove next to me and started revving. I was like, you for real? Changed my gearbox into Sport mode and on green I floored it. Later that douche didn't have the guts to pass me
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550 4matic Key To The Cure Edition, Can-Am Spyder RSS

So true... I also traded my Range Rover HSE for the 550. The first week I had it, I questioned if I were driving differently... Would always look down at my speedometer when idiots would ride my ***, or speed past me.. I remember thinking, "WTF?, Am I driving too slow?" Doesn't happen anymore ...

Eventually, you'll add:

5. Co-Workers, (aka haters), keep telling me I have a "Old Man's Car"
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
price and links on them?

thank you!

i gotta quit hangin on this site, even though im breezing through work today ive been here atleast 2 hours today
I paid 700 for a pair including installation and welding the Y tips. No links but I can toss up some pictures as soon as I take them.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM

2007 S550
Haven't noticed that myself, but I have noticed that:

1. Rush hour traffic doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to

2. I'm spending more money on car washes

3. I don't know how I've survived all these summers in Houston without ventilated seats! Nice little feature!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

range rover
Originally Posted by rhboiler

3. I don't know how I've survived all these summers in Houston without ventilated seats! Nice little feature!

i can fully agree, rush hours are "fun" now

unless the prez motorcade of blocking/closing the highway DURING rush hour for a good 30 minutes and you literally sit there without moving an inch.

yeah that happend a few days ago
Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
C'mon guys lets be honest to ourselves. Our car isn't very fast and the take off at a red light is pretty pathetic.

I've been taunted to race many times by 5 series and a few others but I didn't do it because I wanted to keep the good impression of such a nice looking car. LOL

These cars are meant to be driven nice and slow for only 1 reason. SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHO'S DRIVING SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CAR!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM

16 GL550
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
C'mon guys lets be honest to ourselves. Our car isn't very fast and the take off at a red light is pretty pathetic.

I've been taunted to race many times by 5 series and a few others but I didn't do it because I wanted to keep the good impression of such a nice looking car. LOL

These cars are meant to be driven nice and slow for only 1 reason. SO PEOPLE CAN SEE WHO'S DRIVING SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CAR!
depends on what cars you comparing to. it's still faster than a lot of cars in the market. of course spec wise it can't be faster than amg or m, etc...

but then also, it really depends on the drivers in most cases. fact is, drivers are the limiting factor very often. i won't go into details, but let's just say i was able to take down a m3 on curves. instead of saying how good the w221 is, i will just say the driver in the m3 was pathetic

and honestly, last thing i want is people knowing who (me) is driving the car
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rominl
depends on what cars you comparing to. it's still faster than a lot of cars in the market. of course spec wise it can't be faster than amg or m, etc...

but then also, it really depends on the drivers in most cases. fact is, drivers are the limiting factor very often. i won't go into details, but let's just say i was able to take down a m3 on curves. instead of saying how good the w221 is, i will just say the driver in the m3 was pathetic

and honestly, last thing i want is people knowing who (me) is driving the car
I don't doubt my driving ability. It just bugs me that the transmission take a second to response when you floor it. Something at a red light. I've test this many times, at a complete stop I turn off traction control and slam it. The car would chirp and slowly take off while my Acura Tl-S only 260 HP and around 280 with some minor mods I give people whip lash just from taking off.

over all it's a heavy car, it would lose on take off but can possible overtake at higher speed once the pedal starts to response. On the track a slight jerk would cause you the race.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Originally Posted by rhboiler

+1
Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 Carrera4
I don't doubt my driving ability. It just bugs me that the transmission take a second to response when you floor it. Something at a red light. I've test this many times, at a complete stop I turn off traction control and slam it. The car would chirp and slowly take off while my Acura Tl-S only 260 HP and around 280 with some minor mods I give people whip lash just from taking off.

over all it's a heavy car, it would lose on take off but can possible overtake at higher speed once the pedal starts to response. On the track a slight jerk would cause you the race.
Thats because Acura is much easier to move off the line. My wifes CLS500 although less power than 550 puts you in to the seat when florring it while going 40. My S550 does as well but not nearly as dramatic as the CLS. All because CLS is ligher
Have you tried to manualy shift the 550? I find this thing perform best when you try to controll it my self. Set it to first at the light and then upshift once going. Also while going many times when i know im going to give it a little gas i downshift manualy a second before i need to get some power to the wheels.

it is a very heavy car, but it still performs better than good 80% of cars on the road i would think.

Last edited by malahhaor; 06-29-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
Indeed, every time I'm in Sport mode and floor it, I get pulled into the seat. Also, last week I was driving on the motorway and tested the manual mode - 1 or 2 gears down and the acceleration is just EPIC. Even when I was in Sport mode and overtook someone, the speed went within a few seconds from 100 km/h (62 mp/h) to 150 km/h (93 mp/h). I wonder how fast I would fly in an AMG...

And indeed, Comfort mode is slow. It's meant to be slow, because it's meant for cruising at slow speeds and letting everybody know who's in the car like mentioned earlier, but in Sport or manual - Benz get's alive and then you better pull a side and make some room for the big boy.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 PM

S500
The thing with this limo is : you do not notice how fast it actually is---5.4 S for 0-60 is not slow--;
because there is hardly any noise or suspension feedback in the cabin.
You do not get that, in most cars out there.

Amazing how nimble it is as well; considering the weight and size,it runs like on rails in corners.

In traffic I just try to behave, driving that big Benz and not like those ricer,bimmer or audi-idiots that are always in a hurry and never get anywhere.

Occasionally I will eat some idiot for lunch at a traffic light: noblesse oblige ..hheheh

Yes a lot of coins in the carwash here too.
Love the distronic: makes me want to drive in rush hours again, watching movies ,having a back-massage..

BTW: its dangerous when you directly jump in a car that does not have distronic ,you actually have to brake to stop then..

Last edited by marthyh; 06-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 PM

16 GL550

lol guess we both came from acura tl-s days

i am pretty sure 0-60 the s550 can take the tl-s just fine.

you will just need to get used to the car and make sure the car has adapted to your driving. i had tl-s too, just like every darn car i have had with auto tranny, there is always a lag. but if you use power brake or so, the s can be pretty responsive.

performance driving has a lot more to do with just off the line

and fwiw i never doubted your driving ability (didn't even touch that). i am just saying if needed, the w221 can move too
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 PM

16 GL550
Originally Posted by marthyh
The thing with this limo is : you do not notice how fast it actually is---5.4 S for 0-60 is not slow--;
because there is hardly any noise or suspension feedback in the cabin.
You do not get that, in most cars out there.

Amazing how nimble it is as well; considering the weight and size,it runs like on rails in corners.

In traffic I just try to behave, driving that big Benz and not like those ricer,bimmer or audi-idiots that are always in a hurry and never get anywhere.

Occasionally I will eat some idiot for lunch at a traffic light: noblesse oblige ..hheheh

Yes a lot of coins in the carwash here too.
Love the distronic: makes me want to drive in rush hours again, watching movies ,having a back-massage..

BTW: its dangerous when you directly jump in a car that does not have distronic ,you actually have to brake to stop then..
i don't know if i would go that far. the w221 is capable but hardly "on rail". say compared to 750li. but i have heard so many saying the w221 is long and heavy and it can't do anything, i just calmly smile

and umm, fwiw, i have seen plenty of benz-idiots too, from c to s to sl. it really has little to do with what brand of cars. i have run into classy, nice, and good drivers in hondas who are into driving pleasure.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rominl
lol guess we both came from acura tl-s days

i am pretty sure 0-60 the s550 can take the tl-s just fine.

you will just need to get used to the car and make sure the car has adapted to your driving. i had tl-s too, just like every darn car i have had with auto tranny, there is always a lag. but if you use power brake or so, the s can be pretty responsive.

performance driving has a lot more to do with just off the line

and fwiw i never doubted your driving ability (didn't even touch that). i am just saying if needed, the w221 can move too
I still commute with my TL-S only thing is, I have a 6 speed tranny swap and a JDM motor installed headers, CAI and remus exhaust it's a totally different bread and definitely a sleeper sedan. LOL

I guess my main complaints about the S is the slow throttle response. It took sometime to get used to. When I first test drove the car, I told the sales guy and my wife to hold on I'm gonna test the car. I floored on and nothing happened for half a second I thought it wasn't gonna move then bam it took off and it scared the **** out of me cause I wasn't prepared for it. LOL If you're gonna do street race out of the blues u don't really have time to react you wanna be able to floor it and it should just go. That gear hold feature is cool only if you know you're gonna make a run. The manual gear shift still needs a split second to engage then you can have fun.

All the **** talk, I still think our cars is one of the best looking car in its class.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM

S500
rominl you are absolutely right.But sometimes I tend to blame certain brands'-drivers..
True that is the easy way ,best just to respect anyone on the road .

Everyone have their circumstances causing certain behavior ,trying not to over-react in traffic is the art I guess..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ......Having the s550 for a few days, i few things i noticed