S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Suspension malfunction lop-sided from accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Suspension malfunction lop-sided from accident

Hi guys , I have a w221 that was recently hit on the driver rear quarter panel. The panel was lightly damaged but the rear tire was totally damaged , It was smashed all the way in and kind of turnt inward .I had the vehicle parked on the street and someone crashed directly into my tire! I tried driving off but I didn't know it was damaged so the car dragged . I press the suspension button for it to rise , it said it was rising but didn't ,then it read suspension malfunction. I got all the mechanics under that tire repaired to have it straighten and drive able but the suspension was still down . So I took it to another shop which made it rise but on the side it was hit, it doesn't feel like its on the correct level or height and its not. It's not leveled to the height of the front . The shop that corrected the rise told me that they had to repair "SOME wires" and it costed me 1000 dollars, the thing with that is that I pulled a fuse from under the hood and got the same error code on the dash . I'm thinking it just blew the fuse when the strut couldn't make the car rise and they just replaced it . The problem now is that when I'm on the freeway the car lowers itself and the front sits higher than the back but then the back is lower always even when I push the suspension button and its says vehicle rising . I never had this problem before until the accident . I was wondering do you guys think that even though its rising that I may have to replace the strut on that side to have the car back to normal height ? I know for sure that it bent the strut on impact but I thought that maybe it was still ok and also if the car will still rise should the car tell that strut what the correct height is
Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 AM

745i BMW '05, S550 '08
Could either be the strut or a malfunction with your pump and relay. I just ordered these parts for my car. I have no issue with dragging just that malfunction lights up on me. You could also need to replace a rear strut since you have sag.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Is it only one side that's lower or the whole rear ,if its the whole rear, any errors ?

Could be rear level sensor is mounted the wrong way around: for Airmatic there is only one in the rear.(dunno for ABC)

Mounted more or less between the rear wheels on the driver-side middle ,it has a lever with 'ball-joints' connected to the stabilisor-bar .

Upon occasion people tend to mount it the wrong way around which causes the whole rear to lower.

If its the whole rear and no errors that might just be it ,that is relatively easy to correct.

If you have errors do have it checked with Star-Diagnosis and see what is going on exactly etc.

For Airmatic:
If its one side only:then looks like an airleak on that side so check the lines and strut..need to correct asap or your compressor will die soon.

Last edited by marthyh; 12-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM

S550
Thanx guys, Im thinking maybe it could be the strut. Im not sure if the system is leaking, actually i dont think its leaking because i can drive the car , park and come back in the am in its still rised. I have the 4matic option and its only the one side from the accident thats kind of saggish. I thought it could be maybe the rear sensor but i think i found it and tried to adjust it with my hand but the vehicle stayed in the same postion. The shop didnt say anything about replacing it so i think thats maybe not the issue either. but in a sense it might be. Both sides are kind of evenly down but one side more than the other, its like if the saggish saide was up, the car would be leveled.There are NO error codes on the dash and i drive it everyday like theres no problem but i can tell. I think im going to just replace the strut/s.. hopefully this is it