S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Ok, so am I first to off the S for an Equus?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by desant89
I still currently own two other Mercedes. If you are not interested, please unsubscribe to this thread. Never mentioned a problem with Mercedes, just an experience that I am having. This is a forum with mostly great people in it. It is nice to have different opinions.
I understand that you own Mercedes, please keep the topic to Mercedes. If I wanted info or opinions on a hyundai then I would go to a hyundai forum to get that info.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
This thread has been dead for a while, and someone recently posted on it so I replied. Like I said before, don't read it. Move on to the next thread instead of wasting time and space complaining.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM

S550
This thread has been dead for a while, and someone recently posted on it so I replied. Like I said before, don't read it. Move on to the next thread instead of wasting time and space complaining.
The wasted space was started by you, move along please to a Mercedes subject, PLEASE......
Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 AM

2017 E300
All I can say is that since I started this thread, I still do not look back for a second about my choice. I have no problems at all with the Equus. Not a single regret. I may even change up to the newer model in a year or more. I liked my S550, I really did. As of right now, I like this better. I thought I was going to miss the prestige more than I do, but people ask and comment on the car everywhere I go. I have had more conversations than one can imagine about this car, and people loving it. Even MB owners. If this car had a star on it, you would see them everywhere.

That is exactly why you don't see them everywhere..even here in Los Angeles, home of Koreatown...because the Equus does not have the 3 pointed star. People will always look for it. If you want Korean, go with Samsung. But for a car? I think I'll stick with my Axis friends. (Joke only of course!). If you're happy with the Equus, good for you. Keep us posted so at least we can track its reliability over time.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Atcpup
I understand that you own Mercedes, please keep the topic to Mercedes. If I wanted info or opinions on a hyundai then I would go to a hyundai forum to get that info.

Originally Posted by Atcpup
The wasted space was started by you, move along please to a Mercedes subject, PLEASE......

Can't we all get along ...after all he told you he have 2 benz's ..he is just sharing his opinion on his new car ..keep in mind his Hyundai is sill more expansive than your 08 .. ( if money what you are referring too) it's his thread that you came into ..other wize act like an adult and play somewhere else and take you negetive comment to your co-workes iam sure they envy your 6 years old S class ...If you have nothing nice or info to share or ask then back the **** off . and
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM

S550
Wow, sensitive are we? Let's address some of them...

Originally Posted by Carters550
Can't we all get along ...
You start off with this but wind up saying this..

..other wize act like an adult and play somewhere else and take you negetive comment to your co-workes iam sure they envy your 6 years old S class ...If you have nothing nice or info to share or ask then back the **** off . and
Let me know when you're ready to "get along" (Oh and there is a built in spell check for your convenience, try using it)

..keep in mind his Hyundai is sill more expansive than your 08 .. ( if money what you are referring too)
No, I wasn't referring to money if that's what you are asking. Taking a wild guess you meant expensive not expansive. But since you mentioned it here are couple of Ebay links showing a 2012 hyunduai equus is not more "expansive" than a 2008 S550.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Equus-5-0L-10-way-power-adjustable-drivers-seat-4-Doors-4-wheel-ABS-brakes-Compass-/200943518073?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2ec92ac179&vxp=mtr#ht_12681wt_1182
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-MERCEDES-BENZ-S550-SPORT-P2-SUNROOF-NAVIGATION-49K-TEXAS-DIRECT-AUTO-/400552444543?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=27&meid=667631144325061955&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=400552444543&&forcev4exp=true
Hyundai is sill more expansive than your 08 .. ( if money iam sure they envy your 6 years old S class ...
Last I checked my 2008 is five years old

I come to this forum for Mercedes S550 knowledge, lessons, and guides, and parts (thanks Dr. Feltersnatch!). My point earlier was not meant to offend anyone, I apologize if it did.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

2007 S550
I was waiting for someone else to chime in. Not sure what your problem is with being open to other vehicles, but as I mentioned, you do not have to read this thread. Secondly if you use it for parts, and advice on your car, use the search function to avoid these HORRIBLE type of threads! This was never about money for me. But I do have the Ultimate (not signature you posted), and I did buy it new. So as for cost, there is no comparison with an 08. Again, that is not what this is about.

Hell, I probably heard of the Equus for the first time somewhere on this forum which is why I looked at it.....

I agree with others, I only post so we know. If it turns out to be crap, I will say it. As of now almost 8k in, I still love the car. I'm in no way saying Hyundai is better than Mercedes, but for the money, it is hard to beat. Even without taking cost into consideration, put a star on it, and you would see TONS of them.

Anyone that is curious or a general car enthusiast lie myself, and has any questions, I would gladly answer them.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM

S550
Ok, now let the bashing begin.
Sounds like you were expecting this kind of feedback. I never mentioned money until your illiterate hero came to your rescue. Enjoy your POS hyundai. Just my opinion. Remember you asked.....
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM

2007 S550
Thank you. Make sure you keep that warranty up. Have a nice day!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 S500 (W140)
How's the Equus doing? still good I hope.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM

S65 ML63 SL65 S63 G63
LOL

LOL
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by simark13
How's the Equus doing? still good I hope.
Still loving the car, and no issues as of yet. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I agree on the tires. I'm sure they had to cut some corners somewhere. Reliability is what I am going to be interested in finding out. Again, I would bet that it will not be worse than Mercedes or BMW though. I just think things are going to get really interesting over the next few years. Hyundai already revamping the Equus for 2014. It seems as though they are actually listening to their customer which I do not feel we get with Mercedes.

The navigation seems like it is from the early 90's in Mercedes still. I just never understood that part.....It did work fine, just not very intuitive compared to what's out there in much less expensive cars.

I can definitely relate, and in bold, that has become a huge issue and will continue to grow.

Oh, and check the BMW forums, Z06 forums, Dodge challenger forum, Lincoln, Mustang world etc. I have owned all of them. There is years of proof on all of them that I am in no way affiliated or partial to any brand. My username is desant89 on all of them.
Good reference point, I saw you even mentioned you owned over 40 cars. I would never insinuate brand loyalty or some insidious plot.

All I can say is that since I started this thread, I still do not look back for a second about my choice. I have no problems at all with the Equus. Not a single regret. I may even change up to the newer model in a year or more. I liked my S550, I really did. As of right now, I like this better. I thought I was going to miss the prestige more than I do, but people ask and comment on the car everywhere I go. I have had more conversations than one can imagine about this car, and people loving it. Even MB owners. If this car had a star on it, you would see them everywhere.
Glad you are loving it, and people do turn heads when seeing an Equus all the time. The cars are rather sexy, full of amenities, good price, and a 5/60 full warranty, 10/100 year drivetrain warranty? Really makes on think about it. Hard.

I still currently own two other Mercedes. If you are not interested, please unsubscribe to this thread. Never mentioned a problem with Mercedes, just an experience that I am having. This is a forum with mostly great people in it. It is nice to have different opinions.
Totally agree. Even if there was a thread with people talking about issues, problems, and thoughts (good and bad) around their Mercedes experience, that should be welcomed and encouraged.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Mercedes has most manufacturers beat bar none in areas such as suspension and driving/ride characteristics. Is the Equus more reliable than the S550? Probably. But the S550 is a complex piece of machinery that does much more than a Equus. It's like saying you'd rather ********** than have sex with your wife... sure masturbatuing is more reliable, but it's still not as good as having sex with your wife
Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 PM

2007 S550
Since this topic is still running, I have since owned a few more cars/SUVs. An Audi A8L was one of them. That was my worst as it seemed to have a lot of electrical problems that put it in the shop. I was warned before getting one, but figured it is under Warranty so who cares......Moving past that I now have an Alpina B7. If we want to talk about Character, and suspension, you need to drive one of these. Still no regrets with having had the Equus, and if they ever make an AWD model, I would not hesitate to own another one.

In all fairness, I have not yet driven a 14+ S550. Again, not saying the Equus was better, just saying it is a car worth mentioning. It was right with any car I have owned to date.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Since this topic is still running, I have since owned a few more cars/SUVs. An Audi A8L was one of them. That was my worst as it seemed to have a lot of electrical problems that put it in the shop. I was warned before getting one, but figured it is under Warranty so who cares......Moving past that I now have an Alpina B7. If we want to talk about Character, and suspension, you need to drive one of these. Still no regrets with having had the Equus, and if they ever make an AWD model, I would not hesitate to own another one.

In all fairness, I have not yet driven a 14+ S550. Again, not saying the Equus was better, just saying it is a car worth mentioning. It was right with any car I have owned to date.
For the money the Equus is twice the car the s class is. It is reliable, comfortable, light years ahead in infotainment.

Unfortunately we are on a car enthusiast forum and the Equus is complete utter soulless characterless toaster. Or a blender. It doesn't matter. What matters is that a car enthusiast would not be caught dead in one of those. It suffers from the same disease that normal folks are immune to but we are allergic to- blandness.

And there you have it
Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by alx
For the money the Equus is twice the car the s class is. It is reliable, comfortable, light years ahead in infotainment.

Unfortunately we are on a car enthusiast forum and the Equus is complete utter soulless characterless toaster. Or a blender. It doesn't matter. What matters is that a car enthusiast would not be caught dead in one of those. It suffers from the same disease that normal folks are immune to but we are allergic to- blandness.

And there you have it
I agree. Just my opinion in having cars that cost 3x as much as the equus, the prestige factor is for other people, not ourselves. That's why I didn't care, and was open to owning one. I just really love cars, and am an enthusiast. When there is a good car, I have no problem trying it our. I will get a new s550 soon, and am sure I will love that too.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I tell you, my wife had a nightmare with a R500. Started out good, but was not reliable at all, with less than 90K miles when sold the transmission, all airmatic struts were replaced and airmatic pump had failed twice. Several other modules failed, basically the car was a money pit. The pump was still under warranty, but used Arnott for struts. She got sick of the R500 and opted for a fully loaded Hyundai Azera Sport.

The prestige is not there with Hyundai agreed, and many of our friends were shocked she went that route, but it works for us. 100K warranty, only 6K miles on it when we bought it, 5 years of service included with it, the Azera fit. I was shocked at the amenities, leather seats, heated front and rear seats, touch screen nav, XM, air lumbar and side support on both seats, oh well. So at the end of the day, when you look at the higher up Hyundais such as the Azera, Eqqus, Genesis they do offer a very competitive package for the money.

Don't get me wrong, I love my CLS, owned 2 (500 and now 63) and my 98 E320 but if the E320 goes I will probably opt for a Prius or Leaf as my commute car. The MB brand has suffered greatly on customer service, quality and reliability, and this has been pointed out on many forums, threads, and even by MB themselves. There are many articles that discuss in detail since 99-04 MB had many QC issues. It has been discussed many times on this forum as well. When I look at my E320 with over 234K miles on it, you can clearly see the quality was better with the older MB's. So at times I wonder about MB at present, many MB tech's talk about which new ones to avoid as they are a nightmare to deal with. That is rather alarming..to me, anyway. So to that note, is the prestige really worth it? Just a thought.

Who am I kidding? When I crank up my 63, that 507HP of ozone depleting goodness puts a big smile on my face.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Drove the Equus. If I'd never had an S it would have been more impressive. Asian builders approach whatever target they're going for from a focus group mentality. If the target is full size luxury cars, they'll design and assemble a car that checks all the little boxes and proudly present it to market for 2/3 the price. It's not about building a car as much as completing a shopping list. It's a very cold, rational process and it produces a passionless, rational and cost effective transportation appliance. I know I connect at an emotional level to the Mercedes. I see the love for cars her designers and builders had, and I see the heritage.

I would no more connect at that level to the Hyundai than I would a really nice refrigerator.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Hyundai and Kia, although they deliver a lot of content at a comparatively lower price, they still lack detail and refinement. Using Mike's description, many of the competitive features are checked-off, but the small details are missing or ignored. It feels like they cheap out where they can. In a highline car, I appreciate the details and small refinements. Brand premium notwithstanding, I can still see what I paid for sitting inside a BMW or Benz.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Drove the Equus. If I'd never had an S it would have been more impressive. Asian builders approach whatever target they're going for from a focus group mentality. If the target is full size luxury cars, they'll design and assemble a car that checks all the little boxes and proudly present it to market for 2/3 the price. It's not about building a car as much as completing a shopping list. It's a very cold, rational process and it produces a passionless, rational and cost effective transportation appliance. I know I connect at an emotional level to the Mercedes. I see the love for cars her designers and builders had, and I see the heritage.

I would no more connect at that level to the Hyundai than I would a really nice refrigerator.
I can agree with this, it is not a car of passion Hyundai's and the like. Kind of like..you date a girl that is nice, she's cool, and it works but no passion. I could drive one for work, but not for play.

Originally Posted by snovvman
Hyundai and Kia, although they deliver a lot of content at a comparatively lower price, they still lack detail and refinement. Using Mike's description, many of the competitive features are checked-off, but the small details are missing or ignored. It feels like they cheap out where they can. In a highline car, I appreciate the details and small refinements. Brand premium notwithstanding, I can still see what I paid for sitting inside a BMW or Benz.
I got ya...and agree with 98%
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Right. It's not a question always of a list of features. It's also about how each feature is executed. There are a lot of ways to put navi in a car. Chrysler does it in the 300 with a nice big screen running a Walmart grade Garmin interface. On paper it's Factory Navigation on a 10" LCD display. You can have 12 way adjustable seats if you cheap out and put all the adjustable elements in the bottom cushion only.

In the S whatever is done is done right. They have respect rather than contempt for their owners. Granted it will also be ten times as complex and cost a fortune to fix, but it's always going to be designed and executed right. They do overreach sometimes and end up with reliability issues as a result. I'd say if someone can't tell the difference in the Kia, Hyundai and even the Lexus to some extent let them save the money and be happy.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Mike..add the Acura. They have been sterile for years. They need the NSX out like you need cooked food and clean drawls.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 AM

1999 S500 W140 69K Miles 2013 W221 S550
It's definitely a nice luxo car. And was thinking about getting a LS460 Actually. But stuck to my W221 reason because it's a S CLASS!. When it comes up to luxo cars, it doesn't matter what brand puts in what type to toughen Out Mercedes or BMW.
The Equus is definitely a nice car. Very competitive just like lexus in the 1990s.
But you get a different type of response and "respect" by people. It's very different when you tell people, "I drive a Benz", than telling people "I drive a Genesis". The perspective is different. Doesn't matter how much or less it is compared to an s class.
Enjoy your Equus though. I've heard many good things about it. And tbh personally I think it's a sweet car. Just not something I would get.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, anybody who says that they don't derive some satisfaction from the fact that they simply own a Mercedes is probably lying. It's a highly respected marquis. The question is, if Hyundai builds a car that's every bit as good, why does the Equus carry zero prestige? Is it because the car is an anonymous clone that is actually less than the sum of its parts? Is it because it's easy to confuse it with their bread and butter Sonata at first glance? Is it because it imparts on the owner an air of "I want to drive a prestigious full size luxury sedan but I can't afford one"? All of the above.

As I've said (and done) before, drive an S and any of the clones back-to-back and see how far down the road you get before you pull a U turn and end the road test. First opportunity would be my guess.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok, so am I first to off the S for an Equus?