S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Ok, so am I first to off the S for an Equus?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Well said Mike.

And to add, the handling and ride of a car designed for European, (Autobahn), roads is a far different engineering mentality than that of the Asian designers. I have had and driven many high end Asian cars and the ride satisfaction always falls short of the European makes. The European designers think about what works well when the car is being driven at 120 MPH. If you are not experienced in that environment you can't design a car for that environment. IMHO that's where the Asian designers fall short. And, you do not have to drive a car at that speed to appreciate the engineering that works at that speed. It works at any speed. Especially the safety that comes with that design mentality.

Last edited by mnje350; 05-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by mnje350
Well said Mike.

And to add, the handling and ride of a car designed for European, (Autobahn), roads is a far different engineering mentality than that of the Asian designers. I have had and driven many high end Asian cars and the ride satisfaction always falls short of the European makes. The European designers think about what works well when the car is being driven at 120 MPH. If you are not experienced in that environment you can't design a car for that environment. IMHO that's where the Asian designers fall short. And, you do not have to drive a car at that speed to appreciate the engineering that works at that speed. It works at any speed. Especially the safety that comes with that design mentality.
Right. There are two ways to get a supple ride. One is to set the car up on traditional gas charged struts with gentle rebound. That gives you a car that "floats" but it will feel spongy and loose from a handling standpoint.

The right way is an active pneumatic suspension (AirMatic) or better an active hydraulic suspension (ABC) that gives a compliant ride but compensates in real time.

Hyundai/Lexus/Acura et al build from the drivers seat out. Mercedes has a soft ride? We can do that. Want a quiet cabin? We'll load up on insulation pads and deadened glass. If buyers can't tell the difference, great.
If the Asian builders start adding full air ride and all of the nuances of the Mercedes, they'd see their pricing advantage evaporate pretty quickly. The real stuff ain't cheap.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Right. There are two ways to get a supple ride. One is to set the car up on traditional gas charged struts with gentle rebound. That gives you a car that "floats" but it will feel spongy and loose from a handling standpoint.

The right way is an active pneumatic suspension (AirMatic) or better an active hydraulic suspension (ABC) that gives a compliant ride but compensates in real time.

Hyundai/Lexus/Acura et al build from the drivers seat out. Mercedes has a soft ride? We can do that. Want a quiet cabin? We'll load up on insulation pads and deadened glass. If buyers can't tell the difference, great.
If the Asian builders start adding full air ride and all of the nuances of the Mercedes, they'd see their pricing advantage evaporate pretty quickly. The real stuff ain't cheap.
I could not have said it better. You get what you pay for from a holistic sense, but for a daily driver for commuting? Nothing wrong with a Hyundai, Acura, etc, but as you so eloquently mentioned earlier, it has no "soul". The excitement and "gotta have it" factor is not there.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Several years ago when I used to own several Lexus', I remember a guy making mention that the build process of the Japanese luxury cars was much different than the Germans. The way he put it, where Lexus would use a pop rivet, BMW would use a bolt, and MB would use a weld backed by a forged metal bolt for reinforcement. MB really does over-build the S-class, and it's easy to see and especially feel once you hear the door thud, start the engine, and feel the ride. Lexus does a nice job at their price point and do offer a very nice, quiet, and compliant ride with overly soft steering and no road feel in the LS. I'm sure the Equus is very similar to the LS460. But neither offers the German tank feel of the S-class. The car is just so much more substantial.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I've seen showroom new Lexus and the interiors look and smell terrific. Then I'll sit in one five years old and it seems to be decaying right before my eyes and smells like a bus. It's like the Lexus bit is a thin veneer and the no nonsense Toyota bits are right below the surface.