S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Big Audio Upgrade, EQ For Pandora, Streaming Bluetooth for around $100

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Designo S550, R32 Nissan Skyline
Feeding off of what you were saying about streaming apps and quality, I use Spotify because it lets me download songs at 320. You can also stream at 320 if you have the data bandwidth to do so.

Just went and took a look at my clarion settings (on a clarion EQS746) and they're nothing phenomenal by any means which makes me think more tweaking could improve it but here it goes:

Sub Level: 8
Volume: All the way up
50Hz: 2
125Hz: 12
315Hz, 750Hz, 2.2KHz: 1
6KHz, 16KHz: 2

And the Comand settings:
Logic 7: Turned On
Treble: +4
Bass: +6

Some songs have crazy good bass that makes me think the whole system was redone, some songs are still lacking so it makes me think it's just not a good recording because clearly the settings were good for the previous song. Once you have this setup, you'll never go back, even if you lose steering wheel command. The bass alone that awakens is phenomenal.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Super Salami
Feeding off of what you were saying about streaming apps and quality, I use Spotify because it lets me download songs at 320. You can also stream at 320 if you have the data bandwidth to do so.

Just went and took a look at my clarion settings (on a clarion EQS746) and they're nothing phenomenal by any means which makes me think more tweaking could improve it but here it goes:

Sub Level: 8
Volume: All the way up
50Hz: 2
125Hz: 12
315Hz, 750Hz, 2.2KHz: 1
6KHz, 16KHz: 2

And the Comand settings:
Treble: +4
Bass: +6

Some songs have crazy good bass that makes me think the whole system was redone, some songs are still lacking so it makes me think it's just not a good recording because clearly the settings were good for the previous song. Once you have this setup, you'll never go back, even if you lose steering wheel command. The bass alone that awakens is phenomenal.
Isn't it so much more enjoyable driving with good audio? It changed my whole appreciation of the car when I got the sound system performing at its best, and it cost next to nothing.

As far as recordings go, some have better production than others. Steely Dan's Aja is considered a high water mark in terms of production. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Tango In The Night are also excellent for showing off your system. Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall. Also pretty much anything mastered at Sound City, where a lot of great classic rock albums were live tracked using a very rare hand built Neve analog mixing board sound good. There's a great documentary about Sound City (and the death of real live tracked analog recording) just out on BluRay. It's fascinating.

Also check out the film "Muscle Shoals" about the group of studio musicians in a tiny shack of a recording studio in Alabama who played behind on so many rock, country and R&B hits you lose track.

Here's the tuning I use:

On the COMAND, push Bass and Treble all the way. It gives the Clarion more range to work with. Also you can make minor adjustments on the COMAND instead of having to go into the glovebox. Logic 7 is good.

On the Clarion, make sure FADER is all the way toward whichever output you chose (Front or Rear)

50Hz: Low bass. A little here goes a long way. Play something with a defined kick drum (Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop" works well as a tuning song) and push it up just a little until the doors start to rattle and then back it down until it behaves.

125Hz: Mid bass. This is where you can add or subtract a lot of power. I'd push this up to just where the bass gets too loose and then back it off a little.

315Hz, 750Hz, 2.2KHz: Midrange. These are the frequencies that are overemphasized in the stock system so leave them in the basement at zero as you have them.

6KHz: Mid Highs: Zero, unless the high end sounds muddy. Push them up a little until the cymbal sound is overly bright and prominent and then come down a bit until it smooths out.

16KHz: Highs. Here's where you'll restore the presence and detail you lost when you attenuated the Midrange. Try this at 50% and push it up until it sounds artificially bright and then back it down until its smooth.

The 6khz and 16khz work together to put the "life" back into the sound. 6khz is close to the mids so use that sparingly and let the 16khz do the heavy lifting.

You didn't mention the COMAND fader but I'm presuming its dead center. If the mix sounds good but just a little too bright and "shimmery", try fading back one or two positions. It pulls signal out of the front door mids, as well as the center channel in the dash.

Spotify is at 320kb is excellent. What's your source device? Have you tried adding the Fiio headphone amp for a tighter low end and more available gain, or are you running straight from the Clarion?

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-15-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
This might make things easier for those wanting to do the mod:

(CLICK HERE)

It's an Amazon Wish List with all of the components needed for the EQ mod. Note that the HRT Istreamer only applies to installations for IPhone/Ipod. Omit this item if setting up for Android.

This assumes you already have a 12v receptacle in the glove box (2010). Add a 12v receptacle for 2007-2009.

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-16-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Took Wish List down temporarily for editing
Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Comand settings:
Treble: all the way up
Bass: all the way up

Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 PM

carless
I am a frequent lurker (usually if I have a problem) but infrequent poster to this forum. I did the "upgrade" this weekend on my S550. Just wanted to drop in and thank Mike for taking the time to put together the guide and leave a few tips of my own for true stereo/wiring novices like me.

1. Make sure to splice off and connect part of the EQ's 12v power line to the "remote" port on the back of the EQ. I failed to notice this detail in Mike's diagram for about half an hour and was convinced I had received a bad EQ unit (I had not). On that note, to those having difficulty finding a 12v plug with binding posts (I did), radio shack has them in store for $11.99. I ordered the rest of the stuff from Amazon for a total cost of about $135.

2. For those using the Bluetooth adapter, if you have an iPhone it may not pair the first time IF the unit is plugged in and charging. Figured this out after 20 minutes of not being able to pair the device on my iPhone. Unplugged it for a few seconds and it paired no problem. Now it is plugged in constantly and there have been no issues.

That's all. I echo the comments others have made on this mod--it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE in sound quality and is well worth the money and effort. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM

S550
New to mbworld

Found this solution for bluetooth streaming and it works amazing with audio and video in my 08 s550.

Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics

I also used to have and integrated iPod kit and my aux yellow red and white chords audio jacks were hijacked by the ipod kit. It was super easy to remove.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Found this solution for bluetooth streaming and it works amazing with audio and video in my 08 s550.

Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics Amazon.com: Car Wifi Mirabox, Wireless Airplay, Miracast, Allshare Cast, Screen Mirroring for Smart Phones, RCA Output for Car Video: Electronics

I also used to have and integrated iPod kit and my aux yellow red and white chords audio jacks were hijacked by the ipod kit. It was super easy to remove.
If you're looking for better sound, you'd be better of spending the same money for the EQ mod. If you're just looking for streaming BT audio, the $80 Tune2Air gives you full COMAND integration and the steering wheel controls.

This is a device that displays your smartphone screen on the COMAND unit. Unfortunately it uses a low resolution composite video connection which looks pretty horrible on the relatively high res COMAND, and it does nothing to improve the audio quality. Additionally, while it may mirror the smartphone's screen on to COMAND, all controls are still via the phone itself.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-10-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh wow. Apple play workaround What is that device link Mike?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Jason B
Oh wow. Apple play workaround What is that device link Mike?
Sorry. Edited my post because it looked like I was endorsing it when I'm actually advising against it. That piece is a no-go. Actual Apple Play gives you an Iphone-like interface and apps on screen, but allows full control via the car's audio system. That device simply mirrors your smartphone screen onto the car's screen, but all controls would be through the phone. Plus it uses the worst possible video connection (composite). Having just experienced low res on the COMAND during the last experiment, it's not something most owners would be happy with.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
If anyone wants to take it to the next level, here's where I ended up after a year of research, bench testing and experimentation. It makes the changes you can get from the EQ mod system wide and eliminates the outboard EQ entirely, with full COMAND integration and steering wheel controls. Allows for a direct IPod/Iphone connection, or full BT Audio with the Tune2Air adapter.

These are the correct factory sizes, power handling and OHM ratings and are as close to drop-in as you can get. I'm at the "Better" level. Bass is more than sufficient from the factory door subs if Hushmat or similar deadening is used, but I'm sure the replacement FOCAL subs at $500 a piece sound better.

Prices are for the parts I used only. Labor and Hushmat/Dynamat would be additional.

Last edited by Mike5215; 11-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mike, thought you might enjoy this... Not sure if you saw.

http://www.pacificstereo.com/garage/...er-system.html
Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Nice! Pretty much a gut job as far as the amps and wiring goes (which would be required if you wanted more power hungry speakers). I might have had to go there but thankfully I was happy with just the speakers.

The problem with the 221 is that the amp is integrated into the master controller for everything on the fiber optic ring...navi, telephone, music, etc into a device called the Harman Becker Audio Gateway. Audio to the gateway is fiber optic, so to intercept the signal pre-amp and send it out to aftermarket amps would require a fiber optic to analog convertor. I found one for the 220 but never for the 221.

Without the ability to convert pre-amp, you have to instead pull signal from the powered, speaker level side of the gateway. Those high power signals need to be converted back down to line level for the amps, either within the amps themselves or via a line level convertor. You need one convertor for every channel (8 if you treat the door components as one speaker, 13 if you want an active crossover for the doors giving each component its own channel.)

I'm sure that system sounds great, but too much BS for me. Now if I could find an optical to analog convertor for the 221...
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550
Thank you Mike5215

Do you or anyone in this thread have a solution for integrating this build into a 2007 s550 with no Aux in the glove compartment? wires, part #'s, pictures?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by 404marc
Do you or anyone in this thread have a solution for integrating this build into a 2007 s550 with no Aux in the glove compartment? wires, part #'s, pictures?
You'd need the IPod integration kit from MB for the 07-09. It was a factory and dealer installed option but they're hard to get now. Best option outside of that is the Prima 8.9, which improves the entire system and all sources but it's not cheap. Couple of grand installed. I'd try to hunt down the IPod kit first. Not sure the part #.

Here's a write up on the Prima. It also adds an Aux In, helpful for the 07-09.
Http://www.w221audio.wordpress.com

Last edited by Mike5215; 08-08-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 AM

s550
part numbers

Your write up is great and Ive read it about 12 times! But what I cant figure out is - are you using a AUX in wire to the back of command OR the ipod integration kit OR are they both the same thing?

So what Ive been told and or found is:

For 2007 w221 s550 part# b6 782 4567 - which resembles something that looks like this: https://www.commandonline.co.uk/mb_ipod_ntg3.html. After the money conversion those wires cost $1200.00.

But your diagram resembles a connection that looks like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5MM...365364855.html

I've read this: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...installed.html -- which is how I got to you.

1.So the AUX in command has to be turned on by somebody at the dealership.
2.Then buying the correct wire(s) to install your build

Thanks in advance.

b6 782 4246

Mercupr
Old 08-09-2015, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm a little hamstrung on the 07-09 since I've never had my hands on one, but I believe the part you referenced plus having MB enable the Aux In gets you to the point where my mod comes in.

The IPod kit should have a single cable that splits off into a normal 30 pin IPod female and a female 3.5mm (mini headphone). The iPod connection takes priority if a device is connected. To use Aux, leave the IPod disconnected and select Aux as your source. You'll probably want a mount and cradle for charging (and control of the device). I have a write up on the blog.

You'll still need the 12v receptacle (pull power from the fuse block on the passenger end of the dash) or skip the receptacle and wire everything directly to the fuse block. Just make sure each hot lead you add has its own in-line fuse.

Last edited by Mike5215; 08-10-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 Mercedes Benz E550 4Matic Sport Sedan
^^^Mike wouldn't you improve your listening experience more by listening to a better quality music source like a CD instead of a low quality audio source like music from an IPOD?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Tonycpa
^^^Mike wouldn't you improve your listening experience more by listening to a better quality music source like a CD instead of a low quality audio source like music from an IPOD?
The problem in the car with the stock system is that you need EQ way more than you need a higher bitrate, and you can't apply EQ to a CD. There are some work-arounds to get EQ on CD quality tracks on your IPhone/Ipod or other media player, and you can still run the signal through the EQ:

For example, the Tidal subscription service gives you full CD quality streaming playback, so if CD is your thing that's a good way to go. Or if you have a ton of actual CD's laying those can be ripped lossless to your portable device in ALAC or FLAC formats, and then run through the EQ, but one way or the other the files need to be on a portable device in order to use the EQ.

Since this write up I upgraded the car's speakers and installed an Audisen Prima 8.9 integration module and DSP amp, so I don't need the glovebox EQ and all of the car's sources sound equally stunning.

I have a Tidal subscription and an Apple Music subscription, so I can do A/B listening tests on any track imaginable and, in my high end system at least, the 256kbs AAC files sound better...tighter, more dynamic range, fuller bottom end...than their 1400kbs CD-quality equivalents. I rarely listen to Tidal for that reason.

When it comes to the stock 221 system, above all else you have to compensate for the horrible factory EQ. That need overrides whatever incremental quality an increased playback bitrate in the source material might get you. Sometimes, in a flawed system like the HK, higher quality files do nothing but exacerbate the system's inherent shortcomings.

If you want truly great sound in your 221, do the mods in my blog (link in sig) and then pick up a portable Hi Res player like the Astel-Kern, capable of playing lossless bit-for-bit copies of studio master files, at a resolution almost 10x that of CD. (Of course you also need to buy the Hi Res versions of your music).
Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM

2007 S550 4MATIC
Empty shopping list.

Originally Posted by Mike5215
This might make things easier for those wanting to do the mod:

(CLICK HERE)

It's an Amazon Wish List with all of the components needed for the EQ mod. Note that the HRT Istreamer only applies to installations for IPhone/Ipod. Omit this item if setting up for Android.

This assumes you already have a 12v receptacle in the glove box (2010). Add a 12v receptacle for 2007-2009.
I'm coming to this late having just picked up a 2007 s550. The indy dealer is still trying to install either an iPod kit, if he can get it, or an Aux input.

Amazon said that shopping list was empty. I hope that doesn't mean all the parts are gone! I'll look at the PDF and ask the indy dealer to put in 12v in the glovebox instead of, or in addition to, the USB interface.

In any case, thank you very much for the detailed info on your sound experiments!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL55
Mike id like your input on the oppo ha2 as an android/iphone compatible dac + headphone amp?

Is there a specific advantage to having the amp after the eq stage, or would it be a decent setup to have a combined unit before the eq and run the eq after the amp output and directly into the aux?

Lastly, is the aux inpit digitally processed after the input jack, or are the command controls simply manipulating analog bass and treble circuits?

Just wondering, awesome work youve done here.