S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

"Device Not Available" on COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
"Device Not Available" on COMAND

Hello all - Problems with electronics...Looking for some advice or experience, or dare I hope, solution:

2007 s550 4matic...intermittently the telephone interface, radio, satellite radio and dvd/dc player turns off and COMAND displays "Device Not Available". Note the Navigation, AC/Heater and Vehicle Settings still work fine (except no voice prompts on navi)

If I do nothing, sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not.

If I shut the car down, sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not.

If I pull the main sound system fuse (40 amp / fuse number 104 ) and plug it back in, the system will come back on when I start the car (assume this is a forced reset?)

This has been going on for about a week...will shut off 5 or 6 times a day.

Some additional information that may or may not be relevant or related to the symptoms above:

Just one time, since the "Device not available" issue started, I happened to glance down at the COMAND screen and something to the effect of "Temperature Problem Device Turning Off" appeared and the whole COMAND unit shut down...e.g. Navigation, AC/Heater and Vehicle Settings as well...complete blank screen. Restarted car and all was fine...has not recurred. Definitely not the same as the repeating thing described above.

Also, about 1 month ago, very hot days, I had been sitting at idle (e.g. drive thru line or waiting for kid at school) and the ESP and ABS Systems Not Available error appeared (on speedometer screen, not COMAND as above). Once I parked stopped the engine and restarted this cleared itself both times...I chalked it up to the heat and idling vs driving speed. Not happened since then....I am assuming not related.

Any ideas from the gang out there? I am a geek (read "engineer") so fairly comfortable working with this thing, but not sure where to start.

Dane

Last edited by new550; 09-22-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The intermittent cutting on and off could very well be a Temperature issue. Most electronics have some sort of thermal protection. The ABS and ESP faults will certainly have generated error codes that could be diagnosed. You will likely need to see the dealer or a good indy for resolution. My Volvo had a cooling fan built into the amplifier. It stopped running and my system would cut in and out. Replacing the amp took care of the issue. You seem to have multiple issues going on. Keep us posted as to what your service tech finds.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S550 Sport Pkg
Where are you located? To protect the hard drive from damage, COMAND switches it off at very high temperatures. Wonder how hot it needs to get before COMAND shuts off.

http://www.mersag.com/cmer-2282.html
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 PM

2015 s550v4
I am in Philly, so not likely that it is that hot. Additionally, it has occurred at night and early morning without any excessive heat.

I ran out of ideas, so its at dealer...will let you know the outcome.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
One possibility might be the consumer battery located in the trunk may be failing. Has it been replaced? If it is failing, it could cause strange behavior of the various electronic systems.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 PM

2015 s550v4
OK...there were two separate issues....the Sirius Satellite radio module was bad, bypassing that unit, and the other functions worked fine....many $ later, new unit and all is well....

The ESP/ABS issue was a speed sensor on front right....un-related....

Thanks to all who tried to help !