S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2007 Mercedes S550 smart purchase? Transmission issues? Overall Reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
For the technology and performance you get I think it is a bargain. I love the exterior look of the Model S but my problem with the design has more to do with the interior as it does not have the same level of refinement as an S class but when you buy a Model S what you are paying for is the high performance EV drivetrain with a 300 mile range that is unmatched by any other car.

I wish they bought the entire interior from Mercedes and designed the rest of the car. The interior design of the S class is no comparison to the Tesla though the 17" control interface of the Model S I used is better than anything I have used by any other car manufacturer. I used to think I needed physical buttons all over the place but no more.
We obviously have different ideas on bargains. 100k for MS would be a pass as a bargain on my end.

I would buy a used S600 for about 40k and do a ECU flash. The 600 would out perform the MS and in my opinion a better looking car with a much better interior. I also wouldn't have to stop to charge up for 6hours on a 300 mile drive.
I also have serious doubts of resale value on the MS over the next 5 year period as there will be lots of choices coming from other brands with same type performance for much less msrp.

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-23-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Fly by night
We obviously have different ideas on bargains. 100k for MS would be a pass as a bargain on my end.

I would buy a used S600 for about 40k and do a ECU flash. The 600 would out perform the MS and in my opinion a better looking car with a much better interior. I also wouldn't have to stop to charge up for 6hours on a 300 mile drive.
I also have serious doubts of resale value on the MS over the next 5 year period as there will be lots of choices coming from other brands with same type performance for much less msrp.
If you prefer a 5 year old used S600 with the $4-10K a year in maintenance and repairs it will likely entail to keep that vehicle operational, go for it.

No one stops to charge these vehicles for 6 hours in day to day life. Where did you pull out that estimate of 6 hours? The max wait time will be about 40 minutes for a free charge at a super charger in the rare instances someone would want to drive 600 miles in one day and in such a case maybe stretching your legs a bit after 3 hours of driving is not a bad thing.

With a 300 mile range 98% of the time most owners will be charging it at home overnight like we do with our cellphones. On the plus side there will be no need to visit a gas station again every week. And for most normal people who drive over 300 miles, maybe after about 200-250 mile of driving they will stop somewhere to stretch their legs and get a bite to eat and in about 30-40 minutes they will have a fully charged car for free.

As for the resale value, look up how the Model S vehicles are holding up. Their resale value is greater than the resale value of a Mercedes S class so I'm not sure where you pulled that bit about the resale value being bad. If anything for an EV there are far fewer things to go wrong and break and service as the vehicle gets older.

I stand by what I said about the Model S being an absolute bargain at $100K for the technology and performance that is offered. You get AMG level performance with modern luxury and the only other 100% electric vehicle with anywhere near the comparable stats is the Mercedes SLS Electric. The SLS Electric costs over $500K and for the extra $400K you only get to carry half the people, have about half the range, and the 0-60 time is only 3/10 of a second faster.

It all comes down to a different driving experience. No noise, no vibration and 100% maximum torque available always. If those qualities are not the most important thing to you, I agree that you are better off in a 5 year old S600 for less money.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 06-23-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM

E class
Yep I'd take the 600 all day! and everyday. Glad you enjoy your Tesla not my cup of tea.
The fact is there aren't that many places on the road that are easy to get charged.
Superchargers arent like gas stations.

Last edited by Fly by night; 06-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I love the S Class. The 2010 is my 3rd. Each one has become a part of the family while we had it and I'm always sad to see it go.

The big Benz inspires respect, loyalty and appreciation, but it does not inspire passion. I suspect the Tesla, even with its high price and lack of interior refinement, and with build quality and durability an open ended question, is capable of producing the elusive SEG. (Sh*t Eating Grin).
Old 06-23-2014, 10:01 PM

E class
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I love the S Class. The 2010 is my 3rd. Each one has become a part of the family while we had it and I'm always sad to see it go.

The big Benz inspires respect, loyalty and appreciation, but it does not inspire passion. I suspect the Tesla, even with its high price and lack of interior refinement, and with build quality and durability an open ended question, is capable of producing the elusive SEG. (Sh*t Eating Grin).
Have you had a V-12 Benz? problem solved
Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Mike5215

There's a technical term for that... It's called the "Tesla Grin."

It happens every time I test drive one and I feel like I'm 16 again and driving for the very first time... It has more to do with the torque curve of a high performance electric drivetrain than Tesla per se but it's just that for now Tesla is the only company that is offering this experience.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesl...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

You are right about the big Benz commanding respect though. Don't quite get the same treatment in a Model S but you do stand out from the crowd and people who know, know what it's about.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Fly by night
Have you had a V-12 Benz? problem solved
If I could find a 600 CPO with the Porcelin interior and the B&O audio I'd have a permanent SEG.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
I have never driven a tesla model S but my pops has a tesla roadster and holy crap that car is amazing. The instant torque on that thing is simple astonishing. Looks beautiful as well. I would buy a Tesla Model S in an instant if they had a 2007 version for 30k over a S Series anyday.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by SmokeyNYY
I have never driven a tesla model S but my pops has a tesla roadster and holy crap that car is amazing. The instant torque on that thing is simple astonishing. Looks beautiful as well. I would buy a Tesla Model S in an instant if they had a 2007 version for 30k over a S Series anyday.
Lucky you! Wish I had access to a roadster. They just announced a 400 mile battery for the Tesla Roadster. Yup, the instant 100% torque from 0-100 mph is insane. Once I experienced that, I can't ever get myself to buy another gasoline powered car.

In about 4 years you will be able to buy a used Model S for 30-something.