S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

comand hard drive problem, how to repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
merdeces s320
SOLVED!! comand hard drive problem, how to repair or replace?

Hi have 2011 S550 (previously flood damaged)

I replaced the comand head unit/dvd/navigation and purchased 2014 navigation dvd from Mercedes, plus activation code for around $200

all loaded and ran fine until today. Comand kept locking up and restarting, every 45 seconds. Was driving me crazy

After plenty of digging, I removed the toshiba 40 gig hard drive and the comand seemed to worked perfectly again APART from having no navigation

I had a identical hard drive here same model but not formatted, comand recognises it with a check mark so I figure I am part of the way there, but could be wrong

Star diagnostics tells me to insert the telematics CD, but does not give me a part number (I am suing 03/2014 xentry)

Does anyone know the part number to this telematics cd (I think it must be before 03.2014 to work) and is I install this, following by the maps again would it all be fine? Dos anyone have this disc for sale or idea on where to buy it

Or any other tips or information to get this working again hopefully without having to buy the drive from Mercedes.

also could the original drive be cloned assuming it can be read or even repaired using software, I just ordered 2.5 external ide case to see if I can even access it

thanks in advance

Terry

UPDATE: Solved it by doing the following

Bought an external 2.5 IDE case to plug the comand hard drive into so I could access it from the computer

Plugged into PC via USB, used a piece of software called HDD Regenerator to repair the hard drive and recover bad sectors where possible

Plugged original drive back into the comand, all working perfectly again

hope this helps someone with similar problem

Last edited by terrymargate; 12-08-2014 at 06:06 PM.