S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Retrofitting adaptive cruise control. Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Retrofitting adaptive cruise control. Possible?

One option my 2009 s550 is missing is the adaptive cruise control. Is this something that can be retrofitted in to the car? I assume it's all prewired for it already.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 909 Likes on 754 Posts
S500
highly unlikely it will be cheap or easy to fit...

I have it on my S550 and had it on my last BM, its not as good as you think.

I had cruise on cars for last 20 years and was always very happy. However of the active ones the BM active cruise system is much better than the Merc one and on BOTH cars it winds me up and grates a lot.

Its very clever and I guess if you commute in flowing traffic every day maybe worth having... (in which case sell the current one and buy another with the right toys) but otherwise it in many ways it is just a wind up merchant. On the BM its so close to being right the fact it gets it slightly wrong quite often gets you going.

As for the Merc it's ability should be higher (can stop the car completely) but it ends up a hapless joke in comparison and because the min set speed is 20mph in stop start traffic it accelerates too hard and then stands on the brakes !!! after 2 mins you go back to doing it yourself.

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by BOTUS
highly unlikely it will be cheap or easy to fit...

I have it on my S550 and had it on my last BM, its not as good as you think.

I had cruise on cars for last 20 years and was always very happy. However of the active ones the BM active cruise system is much better than the Merc one and on BOTH cars it winds me up and grates a lot.

Its very clever and I guess if you commute in flowing traffic every day maybe worth having... (in which case sell the current one and buy another with the right toys) but otherwise it in many ways it is just a wind up merchant. On the BM its so close to being right the fact it gets it slightly wrong quite often gets you going.

As for the Merc it's ability should be higher (can stop the car completely) but it ends up a hapless joke in comparison and because the min set speed is 20mph in stop start traffic it accelerates too hard and then stands on the brakes !!! after 2 mins you go back to doing it yourself.
I have this option on my cl63 and I love it. Use it all the time. I saw a thread similar to this one years ago and remember reading that it wasn't that involved. Car is already prewired. You might just need the front sensor, new cruise control switch and have the computer programmed to unlock the option.