S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Another 1.5 weeks... S550.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550 4Matic
good luck !!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
snovvman, hope you're as happy with as I am with one I picked up a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by snovvman
I've been here for a couple of weeks, still don't have a Benz lol. Thanks to everyone for the help so far. The time is almost here. Hopefully my car will be shipped next week. I ponied up for an enclosed transport. I wanted an AWD, so I gave up on the S63 or S600.

It is a CPO'ed Lunar Blue 4Matic with pano roof, rear entertainment, rear seat pkg, night view, B&O audio, splitview, driver assistance pkg, and heated steering wheel. I overpaid but have rarely come across one with all the toys. For me, it's all about the toys!

CANT' WAIT!! I've only driven BMW 7ers (4 of them, 2 V12s), I hope I'll like the Benz. Based on what I've read so far, I believe I'll like it just fine.
Below is a dealer photo.

How's the car? updatE?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I'm afraid he may be out of the S. It was a nightmare for him, from some shenanigans by the dealer, undisclosed cosmetic damage, a crappy transporter... I think the guy may have bailed.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Originally Posted by DaveW68
After driving 2 V12 TT Bimmers, I have a feeling that you'll be trading up to the 65, 63, or 600 in no time at all. This will be a short relationship.
Dave I swear I was thinking the same thing, lol.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Hey guys--I'm still around. For the approximately 10 months since I got the S550, I've only put a few thousand miles on it. I ended up getting [yet] another car--that and a lot of traveling kept me from doing much with it. I did get the car into a "happy" condition--the wheels were refinished, paintless dent removal, a few touch ups, new tint, paint/interior detail, etc. It was a drastic improvement. The dealer replaced a few interior pieces, along with attempts to address some interior trim noises. The noises are about 85% resolved.

The audio system is good, the ride is good, and I have adopted to its personalities. Whereas the BMW drives like it is a smaller car than it really is (nimble, sharp, responsive), the Benz drives like it is a larger car than it is (more substantial feel, more isolation, more subdued). Both have positives and I have grown to appreciate the Merc for what it does well, though I will never get used to the throttle delay...

The one remaining and significant issue is the in-gear/stop light vibration/drone. The dealer replaced all the mounts early on, but the issue persisted. After many trips to the dealer with the same complaint and returning with "no trouble found...", "cannot duplicate...", "unable to verify..." responses, the dealer told me that the field tech concluded that the vehicle is "operating as designed", that "they will not do anything else" to address the issue, and that it is "not bad for a 4Matic".

If there is one thing that I can point to that diminishes my ownership satisfaction and influences my decision to purchase another Merc, it is the vibration issue. I've sat in many loaner C-Class 4Matics and other S550s, none has the same vibration. It is just subtle enough for someone to dismiss, but persistent enough to be very annoying in long haul stop/go traffic. It feels like a torque convertor chatter or something off balance. The vibration is at the just right frequency and amplitude to be bothersome.

A Forum member is providing me with good guidance. The car is still under factory and has three more years of CPO waiting. I will try to convince the Service Manager yet again that it is in fact not normal... If anyone has input, I'm all ears...

Hey Mike--how are they hangin'? I haven't been following the Forum. Are 'things' better?

Edit: Thanks again to the many Forum members here. Without your guidance, information, support, and sympathy, the car would have been sold off shortly upon receipt.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
what other car did you get?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 S550
The one remaining and significant issue is the in-gear/stop light vibration/drone. The dealer replaced all the mounts early on, but the issue persisted. After many trips to the dealer with the same complaint and returning with "no trouble found...", "cannot duplicate...", "unable to verify..." responses, the dealer told me that the field tech concluded that the vehicle is "operating as designed", that "they will not do anything else" to address the issue, and that it is "not bad for a 4Matic".
I have the possibly same feeling about my 2008. All mounts replaced. But still, as I come to a stop (just for a split second) and while sitting stopped, in park, a drone/vibration that I just don't feel should be there. Other Merc's I drive don't have it (but, they are brand new, so...); other AWD cars I drive don't have it.

Googling around I've seen some talk about play in the front drive-axle shafts, at the joint, aka CV joint. Because on the 4Matic cars those axles are always spinning (permanent AWD), a bit of a play in the joint (what?!) can cause some vibration/drone. Seems a reasonable enough theory to me. But I've not yet had a chance to have it looked into.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Glad to see you back Snovvman. I'd try a different dealer and start over with that issue."

Also, the sprint booster may fix that delay. I think we talked about that. If you still want one, let me know.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Well, everything's hanging the same unfortunately. Sucks about the vibrations. I've had the best success chasing those down by getting the lead tech on "my" service team (the teams are attached to a specific SA) to drive the car with me in it and identifying it in real time.

If your MB guys have given up, consider spending the money to have an indie look at it. Most Indies LOVE figuring stuff out that stumps the dealer. Once it's identified, head back to the dealer for the CPO repair.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 PM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by 1bad540
what other car did you get?
Q7.
Originally Posted by Drives550
I have the possibly same feeling about my 2008. All mounts replaced. But still, as I come to a stop (just for a split second) and while sitting stopped, in park, a drone/vibration that I just don't feel should be there. Other Merc's I drive don't have it (but, they are brand new, so...); other AWD cars I drive don't have it.

Googling around I've seen some talk about play in the front drive-axle shafts, at the joint, aka CV joint. Because on the 4Matic cars those axles are always spinning (permanent AWD), a bit of a play in the joint (what?!) can cause some vibration/drone. Seems a reasonable enough theory to me. But I've not yet had a chance to have it looked into.
I agree with your observations. I believe I found some of the same data as you regarding the axle shafts--mostly from W204 owners. The part that I do not understand is how the axle shaft joint/bearing(s) can cause the vibration if they are not moving. While sitting at a stop, in gear, with brake applied, if I ever so slightly push on the throttle (adding maybe 50 or 75 RPMs), I can replicate that chatter/vibration/drone.

Originally Posted by Jason B
Glad to see you back Snovvman. I'd try a different dealer and start over with that issue."

Also, the sprint booster may fix that delay. I think we talked about that. If you still want one, let me know.
Thanks Jason and for getting in touch. An indy friend said that this is classic MB design, and it is intended to preserve parts longevity and prevent premature wear/breakage. That is to say, by not allowing instant power to be transmitted to the drivetrain, parts and wearables will last longer....

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Well, everything's hanging the same unfortunately. Sucks about the vibrations. I've had the best success chasing those down by getting the lead tech on "my" service team (the teams are attached to a specific SA) to drive the car with me in it and identifying it in real time.

If your MB guys have given up, consider spending the money to have an indie look at it. Most Indies LOVE figuring stuff out that stumps the dealer. Once it's identified, head back to the dealer for the CPO repair.
That is great advice. I'll pursuit that option if I encounter a dead end with the dealers. I've spent time with the Service Manager and shop foreman, they agree that they feel the vibration, but won't commit to concluding that 1) it is a problem and 2) that it can be fixed.

Sorry that you're still dealing with your medical issue...
Old 03-06-2016, 12:37 AM

I'm your huckleberry
On the vibration (intermittent/transient, in gear, vehicle stopped), after multiple conversations w/ service manager, test drive, CAC, etc., I decided to try another dealer. The new dealer will be replacing the two front 4Matic axle shafts. I'm hopeful that this will resolve my issue.

If you wonder why axle shaft has to do with vibration while the car is at a stop, here is a thread to read:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ping-halt.html
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 S550
On the vibration (intermittent/transient, in gear, vehicle stopped), after multiple conversations w/ service manager, test drive, CAC, etc., I decided to try another dealer. The new dealer will be replacing the two front 4Matic axle shafts. I'm hopeful that this will resolve my issue.

If you wonder why axle shaft has to do with vibration while the car is at a stop, here is a thread to read:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ping-halt.html
Thanks for the update. And do let us know if it resolves the issue.