S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Metallic/metallized tint and smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Metallic/metallized tint and smartkey

I happen to like metallic tint better than ceramic. I have had them on other vehicles with no cellular/GPS coverage issues.

At the same time, there are plenty of [un]scientific tests out there that either proves or disproves that metallic tint affects radio propagation--sort of like a Faraday Cage. I have not found anything reliably conclusive.

Apropos to smartkey range, sensor lock/unlock, etc., what is the actual experience on the S550 or similarly equipped/configured platforms? As much as I like metallic tint, I would not want to give up [much] of the smartkey performance and all the conveniences it provides.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
It won't matter if you put a dyed tint on, it's still going to look metallic no matter what. The factory tint has a mirrored/metallic look to it. No matter what tint you put on its still going to look mirrored. Problem solved. There is NO TINT on my car, but everyone thinks there is.

Attached Thumbnails Metallic/metallized tint and smartkey-image-301939548.jpg  

Last edited by Jason B; 02-17-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Jason B
It won't matter if you put a dyed tint on, it's still going to look metallic no matter what. The factory tint has a mirrored/metallic look to it. No matter what tint you put on its still going to look mirrored. Problem solved.
Thanks Jason. I actually like the more neutral color of the metallized tint, as compared to dyed or ceramic. In some cases, the metallized film also outperforms its counter parts in cutting glare and solar energy rejection. I'm just curious if it there are any actual experience of these tints affecting the smartkey or even Keyless Go performance.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool. I think I've read people saying to staying away from metal tints. Someone will chime in I'm sure. I will say the factory tint is darker than most.

I add a picture above. Especially when you have a black interior. I've had tint on all my cars, but I didn't tint this one yet. With option side shades up, the whole car looks tinted.

Last edited by Jason B; 02-17-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM

I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Jason B
Cool. I think I've read people saying to staying away from metal tints. Someone will chime in I'm sure. I will say the factory tint is darker than most.

I add a picture above. Especially when you have a black interior. I've had tint in all my cars, but I didn't tint this one yet. With option side shades up, the whole car looked tinted.
Thanks for that. I ask here because although FCC regulates transmission power, each car is different. The location of antennas, design, and a host of other elements can make a difference from car to car.

If the external antennas are outside the tint's boundary, I would think there would be a lesser, if any, effect.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
I tinted mine 5% carbon all the way around last week and there is a no fade lifetime warranty, no color changing etc. . It's definitely dark and especially with the black interior.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221/S550
I have 35% "regular" tint on my car......but the windows do look silver like Jason B's pic.

I thought it was some sort of film they sandwich between the double pane door windows that make the window have that silver-ish look.....when the windows are tinted that film is reflected more making it more visible.

I wanted to get a metallic strip across the top of my windshield to match the look of the doors window....but the shop I went to didn't carry metallic tint.

Metallic tint + what ever MB puts on the window might make you windows look like chrome.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
Mine looks silver (mirror) like in the sun and when looking from an angle but when it's getting dark or at night they are jet black. Before I got it tinted, you would think it was already tinted since it has the factory laminated tint between the glass. The only reason I got it tinted it because depending on which angle you look at it from it's clear or mirror looking.

When looking at my car from the front you almost can't see through the windshield past the steering wheel and I guess that is a plus since I don't have to worry about tinting it. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Last edited by WHPH28; 02-17-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. I do want to say this car has darker windows than any other I've seen, from the factory. Excluding suv's