S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Exterior door handle removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exterior door handle removal

The sensor stopped working on my drivers door handle. I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the exterior door handle. I saw a post where a member said a wire can get loose so I'm hoping its that. Dealer quoted me at $300 plus $150 to paint it. I'm hoping I can fix the sensor some way.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...on_front_door/
Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for that link. For anyone who has a bad keyless go sensor read this first I just saved myself $450 for a new handle. Open the door and look for a piece of rubber at the same height as the door handle. Remove it and you will see a screw inside. Loosen it, it doesn't come out and will stop when it's fully loosened don't try to take it out. Now you gotta start on the lock tumbler part and kinda jerk it around to get it out. Once the lock tumbler is sitting back but not removed keep it to the side. The handle part now I wiggled it towards the engine and than got it to come loose. You won't need to remove any other screws. You will need to unplug the handle as there is a harness that connects. The door handle appeared to be fine. However behind the part that had been tapped the wire was broken. So you couldn't see the broken wire until the sleeve was pulled back. I black tapped the wire and put it back. Finally my drivers keyless go works again. Hope this helps someone.

The following users liked this post:
Parkl (12-10-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W221 S500 SWB
Thanks to this thread I finally understand why mine isn't working! @Italiano731 thank you very much!

However, mine is broke on the male side not the female side And there's not enough slack for me to pull the wires out and solder a new connector on.

Has anyone any idea what I should do please? I guess I need to remove the door panel and pull the wires out from the controller side, if it is at all possible? But then I can't see how I would be able to push the wires back to the door handle position?

Actually are the wires even connected to the controller, or are they connected to the lock? If they are connected to the lock I am in big trouble!
Old 06-10-2024, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W166 GLE400
Hey Italiano, thanks for the writeup and pictures! I'm trying to complete this job on my own and I've managed to pull the door handle but wasn't able to unplug the connector. I pulled very hard on the male end of the connector with no luck. Do you have any tips? I noticed a little tab and tried pressing as well as lifting with no results. Thank you!